Railjack seeing 4x as much use as VS, 8x TR ESSRs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fellgnome, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Tito

Railjack best bolt-action weapon
  2. sindz

Fix clunky horrible charge mechanic and give phase**** a 4x scope and it could be a fun gun.
  3. Reccettear

are you rly going to judge phaseshift/TRAP based on the playerstats of a handful(sic) ppl who exhausted the infil armory(or rather, the whole game) to the point that they feel compelled to try them?
  4. Vixxing

It would still be a 3 shot semi or a 2 shot BA when there are 5 shot BA and 10 shot semi options... (where both the semi-and bolts outperforms Phaseshift in EVERY way)
  5. Vaphell

Like i said, devs should look at the heat dissipation if it is a problem. 3 bullets in a semi auto mode is straight up unacceptable. In theorycrafting I'd expect maybe 5-7 minimum at max RoF depending on how fast the weapon cools itself (just looked at Koolaid's preview from march 2014, he claims Failshift can fire 6 bullets before overheating). Semi autos have atrocious recoil already, so it's not like dishing out bullets with theoretical max RoF makes much sense either way.

Very good snipers decloak, shoot, cloak and strafe asap. There is no way you are going to hit the head given the delay against the short window of opportunity when from your point of view they are merely blinking on your screen. It's almost impossible with zero delay rifles, Railjack is even worse.
    • Up x 1
  6. sindz

Didnt say great gun or even on par. I have accepted the fact that VS heat guns will all be crap, because of the inability of SOE to do an actual balance pass on a large amount of guns and weapons in this game.

Therefor, it could still be fun - not great.
  7. Vixxing

I find Railjack excellent at countersniping, due to high projectilespeed and low drop on long distances... While what you say is true they most often return to shoot from same position they where b4 and then *BLAM* (the small delay is outweigh by the bulletspeed)

Imagine doing it with a Phaseshift then? *decloak* Chaaaaaarge Fire! (and having a slow projectile on top of that!)
  8. AlCohonez

Railjack is just annother bolt action with a gimmicky mechanic, it's simple to use, NC doesn't like complexity, so there you have it, it's popular. It's questionable if it's better then a longshot, but definitely looks cool.

Phaseshift isn't the best semi nor bolt-action, but it lets you miss a bolt-action headshot-turned-bodyshot and quickly follow up with semi auto to finish off what you've started before your target runs for cover, which is truly amazing. Or go semi auto on a moving target if you don't feel like you can get that headshot on the move. Plus runs on nanites (I.e. no ammo). Plus no bullet drop. Out of all three, VS has the most versatile sniper rifle. But if you know how to make those headshots work at a distance, without the need of semi-auto doubletapping, then there are better options.

TRAP is not a sniper rifle, it's a burst fire carbine. So sad news for all the TR snipers. Good news for all the other infiltrators that slapped 2x scope and a silencer onto that thing and do their mid-close range cloaked shenanigans. Out off all three, I like the TR one the most, but I like my mid-range infiltrating! If you're not into SMGs and find scout rifles so so then TRAP is the way to go.
  9. Degenatron

VS asking for a buff to a weapon that's already out-performing the weapon they are comparing it to.

Typical.

"The VS never use anything unless it's OP." - Matt Higby
  10. Vixxing

How is Phaseshift outperforming Railjack? (and what drugs are you taking?)
    • Up x 1
  11. ATRA_Wampa-One

TBH, all the Phaseshift needs is a 4x scope option since it's closer to the Ghost than it is to the Parallax.

I will say that it's the most stress free sniper rifle in the game if you know how to use it.
  12. Hessesian

Please enlighten me, between being tracked by the loud blast from >supressed< phaseshift, not being able to hit anything that doesn't stand at it's place for 1s for charge-up, plus 0.5s of bullet travel (which is only engies and br's <10), having been exposed for about pretty long 2s and being sniped by railjack, and compensating for pretty much insane recoil, I didn't find anything stress free on it.
  13. ATRA_Wampa-One

The trick to using the phaseshift is to never be seen (silencer, cloak, and sensor shield is just a part of that), and yes you will absolutely feast on idiots that stand still. It's absolutely not a gun that I can just pull in every situation as there are certain bases that have certain locations that I like to set myself up at. The most recent 25 kill streak on my kill board was a light farming session. The one before that I had a 78 kill farming session, and I would say I average around a 40 kills per farming session. At no point do I help my team which is why I always do this solo (and I've been known to set myself up at a TR/NC fight for target rich environments) since the phaseshift is for farming kills and farming kills only.
  14. Dracorean

Each of the weapons have their one little nich to it but this nich is only faction specific;

Railjack: Highest projectile velocity of any sniper rifle.
    TRAP: Flexible rifle with its alternate fire modes.
    Phaseshift: Unlimited ammo.

Thing is, when it comes to sniper rifles, most people prefer those that are more or less easier to use at longer distances. Sniper rifles with projectile velocities of 650 m/s are more or less often used by a majority of snipers. The starter rifles are also typically used given that they are free. Though the Railjack has much use given its projectile velocity is much higher than any other rifle and that seems more or less prioritized than having a flexible weapon or a weapon that doesn't use ammo. Sniper rifles are usually about projectile velocities, much like how sub machine guns are usually about hip fire.
  15. Hessesian

Well if the goal for me is to farm newbs, reskill br's 1 and make life harder for them like every phaseshift killstreak requires ( ) than it's the ultimate anti-afk player weapon.

But if you like some challenge and stay competitive against other snipers than this weapon is absolutely useless. You wouldn't see it in any possible scenario in server smash. And that's the kind of weapons I want, that you can use competitively and not just exploiting that newbs don't know mechanics of the game.
  16. ATRA_Wampa-One

Funny you mention server smash since the Connery vs. Emerald had one person using it from my outfit and he did pretty well for himself. The full stats of that match seem to have been taken down or I would link it, and I'm sure he would use it again but we're playing on NC this time around so yeah.

And just because you can feast on idiots that stand still doesn't mean you can't use it for people that move since you should really be using it at Ghost ranges even though it doesn't have a 4x option... it's just much more of a farm weapon that any other sniper rifle since it has unlimited ammo.
  17. ChampagneDragon

LOVE my railjack with it's one shot headshot kills. Me, a marginal player at best, has achieved a 70% headshot rate with it. The biggest problem is you don't get fast kills with it. You have to be more patient than with other sniper rifles because it is slow.

Auraxed it much quicker than I expected, now I have to find a new sniper rifle :(
  18. Vixxing

So... why use a Phaseshift that can fire 3 fast shots with clunky delay on Ghost-range over a Spectre that fires 10 shots alot faster without triggerdelay? And... What could you not have done better with a Parallax on your "farming-rounds"? If even ONE semi decent sniper targets you when using Phaseshift you are 100% dead! you can NEVER survive de-cloak and charge a shot against other than total noob-snipers...
  19. Vixxing

You really dont need to use it "slow"... if there is long range and multiple targets... Just fit it with a deadpull bolt and you can fire 4 rapid shots in one scope... (with hold breath III)
  20. CactusLynx

I WONDER WHY

Phaseshift is a charge up spectre, and the TRAP is a burst fire scout rifle. They have no use because other weapons outperform them in their roles.