Why do anti personel turrets have shields to protect but anti V dont?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Drasilov, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Drasilov

Just wondered why I am far better protected in my anti personnel turret that in my "fire one shot - instanty killed by target" anti vehicle turret?

Shouldn't it be both turrets at least have some protection since you are a total sitting duck if you deploy one?
  2. WooLooLooLoo

It's in the name itself, anti-personnel protects you against infantry flak. Anti-vehicle turrets are specifically made to destroy armor, not infantry, and a turret having the ability to protect against tank shells would be outright ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  3. Hatesphere

because the AI mana turret shield in its current state can stop tank rounds cold and do no damage to the turret. AV turrets cant have that since tanks need to be able to kill them since they are a threat to the tank directly.
  4. Alan Kalane

No, you're all wrong
    It's for snipers to actually have a purpose on the field :p
    • Up x 1
  5. SinerAthin

I guess the logical reason behind the design is because AI turrets will be fending off infantry shooting regular bullets, where a shield could come in handy.

Whereas with the AV turret, you'll probably be hunting tanks, and a shield wouldn't do much vs a tank shall beyond drawing more attention.(it would also operate at more extreme ranges than the AI turret)

At least, that's my lore explanation.

But from my understanding of gameplay mechanics, although the vehicle turret has no visible shield, it has the same hitbox as the regular AI turret, and will stop bullets.
  6. Hatesphere

you mean they actually do something that i cant just do with a few well placed AR rounds?
  7. LibertyRevolution

Doesn't the AV turret have a shield, it just doesn't have a graphic?
    When I am taking incoming small arms fire when in an AV turret, I hear the bullets hitting the turret and not me.
  8. Alan Kalane

What's AR? You probably mean AP.
    Anyways when an engineer is camping 300m or further away on an AV mana turret there's little you can do to him other than
    a) shooting at him with you own AV mana
    b) using a sniper rifle
    So, everybody blames snipers but the fact is that if there were no snipers you could basically say bye bye to your armor.
  9. Hatesphere

AR = assault rifle, I kill people behind AI mana turrets with assault rifles rounds all the time, tap tap tap dead (or run away making the turret no longer a threat); even up to the crazy range of about 150m. most of my AP rounds just hit the shield and go "lols no damage"
  10. Alan Kalane

Lolz u serious
    On AV Mana it's like point blanc range. By firing from this close you risk getting shot back by the tank.I often snipe tanks from 300m away or more with my turret. It's hard to kill someone with a sniper rifle from that far away, with assault rifle it's close to impossible
  11. Tuco

"Why do anti personel turrets have shields to protect but anti V dont?"

Because that's the way, uhuh uhuh, I like it.

• Up x 1
  12. Drasilov

Yeah but the thing is, generally speaking an AP turret gets one shotted usually just by snipers but the AV turret is one shotted by every armour piece and has no protection so you are also easily killed by infantry - so yeah its anti-armour but unless its at an insanely long range you are practically asking to be killed deploying one. Considering its 1000 certs for something pretty much guaranteed to kill you - I'd like mine with at least a modicum of protection? Not talking much, but enough to at least stand a couple of hits.

Even 2nd world war AT guns had SOME armour....
  13. Flag

The easy answer is that giving the AV turret a shield would make what's already obnoxious for tanks into a living nightmare.
  14. Drasilov

Obnoxious for tanks? 1 shot and I'm dead - how is that obnoxious? I can maybe get two shots off before either me or my turret is wasted. Unless you are literally half a mile away maybe or so high the tanks gun cant elevate.
  15. Flag

Yeah so what? It's free, and enjoys the benefit of the flawed rendering system.
    And besides, while it may not be giving the best returns alone, imagine then what would happen if you applied teamwork to it? Tanks don't stand a chance.

Put a shield on it and it's a 1-way exchange. Now it's going 2 ways.
  16. Alarox

So you want to be able to engage enemy vehicles while simultaneously absorbing lots of damage? It's called a tank.
  17. Yeahy

So a AP turret is better than standing there and shooting them with your primary.
  18. _itg

I don't think it has a proper shield, but it does have a buggy hitbox which is much bigger than the model. It's very frustrating when you aim a bullet straight at that engi's head, and then it evaporates because the devs were sloppy when designing the turrets.

To answer the OP's question, the AV turret isn't designed for close-range use, where the shield would be a benefit. The optimal position for an AV turret is 350m away from the tanks on top of a hill.
  19. Frosty The Pyro

do you have any idea of the energy draw it takes to build a guided decimator round every six seconds?

There is no way can build those rockets AND maintain an invulnerable energy sheild at the same time, there just arnt enouph nano generaters in the thing.

And thats even without considering the interference between the targeting system and the sheild.

Come on now, it like you dont understand the science at all.
    • Up x 2