Scout rifles - what role do they have?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Akaran, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Akaran

Alright, I have a weird question.

I'm trying to go for the sniper rifle directive, and I'm at a loss here. When I first started playing, I picked up a RAMS .50, and I've never looked back. But since apparently having almost enough kills for two aux medals on it is not enough for the directive goals (I've been busy as of late; bit behind on the new features), I'm having to go with weapons I'm not familiar or comfortable with.

More to the point, being used to long/ultra long BAR kills when sniping... I have absolutely no idea the situation that a scout rifle (such as the TRAP) would do well in. Or do anything in. The TTK seems too long, the recoil seems difficult to land more than one or two shots consecutively, and I am not at all digging headshots not being an instakill.

When I inf, I'm either using the RAM or using a SMG. Whenever I'm put into a mid-range situation, I'm usually going in as a Max or Heavy Assault, and... just simply, I can't figure out what role or what use a scout rifle fills. Any suggestions? I swear the only scout kills I've had have been by accident more than talent.

Suggestions welcome. Pulling my hair out here.

~Ak
  2. reydelchicken

Scout rifles like the vandal, or ES variants are good for long, but not too long range (70-100m), since they're more accurate than snipers while moving, which makes them good for strafing around while you shoot and still being accurate.

As for the role, I'd say they're good long range guns, decent mid-range guns if you're going for headshots, and CAN be used in CQC but are very unforgiving if you miss against higher DPS guns.
    • Up x 1
  3. LibertyRevolution

I don't infiltrator much, but I have been running around with a vandal this week.
    I don't play it like a sniper, but like I would with a battle riffle.
    I use enhanced targeting implant and try and shoot damaged guys that are like 50m away.

Stuff like this:

My other style with it has been treating it like a slug shotgun..
    Toss in an EMP grenade or 3, then rush into the room no scope and just spamming it point blank murdering people.
    • Up x 1
  4. AssaultPig

The full auto scout rifles are somewhat interesting as mid-range carbine replacements for inf. They are kinda useful in situations like tower or biolab defense, when you're at ranges too long for a SMG but too short and/or enclosed to really use a BASR.

I don't really get why you'd use the semi-auto scout rifles over the semi-auto snipers though, or even over the 4x BASRs. I don't really play TR so I haven't used the TRAP outside of the VR, but it seems like more of a replacement for the full auto scout rifles than anything.
  5. RuthlessMoose

I personally feel that scout rifles can be very situational. It is more about your positioning to utilize the weapon to its full potential. They are there to cover that mid-distance range where you want to accurately put down individuals.

Patience and knowing the battlefield is often overlooked when using these weapons. Hang back a little, pick off flankers to begin with and work your way forward (or back).
  6. reydelchicken

The main, and only real reason that you'd use this over one of the snipers is the improved accuracy at range, and now that the vandal is out, the improved strafe speed. This alone makes these guns significantly more effective at shorter range, but the lower damage per shot hurts their long range potential slightly.
  7. AnuErebus

I think the thing to be aware of is that if you're looking for comparable damage output to other classes with the scout rifles you're not going to find it. With the auto-scout you've got one of the lowest damage tiers in the game, and a very small mag giving you limited killing power. With any of the semi-autos you have horribly innaccurate guns past the first couple shots which means you're going to miss a fair number of bullets due to your CoF. And all of them have mediocre to poor projectile velocity so they're also harder to track targets at range with.

Where they work is the 30-75m ranges where you're far enough away that A) Your cloak is extremely effective and B) That anything shooting back at you doesn't have the raw damage output you find in close quarters. Use this to your advantage and keep your distance. I like to use a motion spotter, since that gives me real time data on my enemies as they're approaching which allows me to retreat when needed, or ambush them before they reach me. A shallow dip in the terrain or a hill can make for a great hiding place, allowing you to pop up in various locations. A rock, which gives you elevation as well as multiple locations to fire from is even better. Use these sorts of locations, keep your spotter up and run away if you're in danger of being overrun (Even if it's only one or two guys, it's better to be safe than dead).

With the auto-scouts it's pretty straightforward, acquire your target while cloaked. Decloak and unload. If you've emptied half your mag and aren't close to killing the person, recloak, retreat and try again.

With the semi-auto scouts make sure you land your first couple shots. If those first two shots don't land, recloak, retreat and try again. I can not stress enough how important those first couple shots are. They are the only two shots that are going to be accurate, especially if you're strafing while you shoot. Past that your shots get less and less accurate and if you've burned through 1/2-2/3rds of your mag without getting a kill, chances are you're not going to.

As much as you're able you should avoid excessively long range engagements (>75m) or close range engagements (<30m). You do not have the raw damage output or durability to compete up close, nor the accuracy to compete at extreme ranges so don't bother. As an infil you have incredible control over the ranges you're able to engage enemies at. Use it to your advantage.
  8. breeje

i use the vandal to run in the center of a attack team
    if somebody is getting shot or shooting at a enemy i uncloak and go for the head shot
    it works really well for me
  9. MartenV

Full-Autoscout rifles are awsome in my opinion. There dps/ttk is not that great but they are really accurate and controlable so if you can hit your shots you will be very effective from 10-50 meters.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bibibla

It's all about range and position. Think about the scope you'd like to use :

1. SMGs perform really well up to ~15 meters, using hipfire.
    2. From then, scout rifle are great (1x, 2x scope)
    3. Semi auto sniper should use a 4x scope.
    4. Bolt action are better at long range, when you'd like to use a 6x or 10x scope.

The closer you are to the enemy, the more you need to flank them.

Watch mustarde video about :

auto scout rifles (AKA the standard infiltrator gun, at least in competitive setting)

Vandal :

11. Jygal

Everything that everyone else has said about auto-scouts has been pretty true. They're great for a place like a tech plant, where you could be engaging from halfway across the facility or you could be running into someone right through the next doorway. They're also surprisingly accurate, but the mag size is very unforgiving. If you're in a CQC situation and you drift off target for even a moment, you'd better already be drawing that commissioner.

I generally run the Artemis for the VS with an laser sight, 3.4x scope for mid-range, Commissioner, Recon Darts, and Proxy Mines. It makes a great all-purpose Force Recon loadout, allowing you to head to the next base and prepare the way for your squad.
  12. Shaggath

Scout rifle like tsar with little scope and battle hardened are extremely powerful with skill.
    infi cry because they have problem with smg against ha but when you handle perfectly a scout rifle ha is like other class only one bullet.
    It's a choice smg confort or scout power up with some skill.

Trap is really efficient into biolad you can play a flank style like a smg with more range and supressor.
    This weapon have a good ttk a little move bonus and limited visible signature so with a supressor is a good weapon to silently kill and hide your position.
    it's really a sneaky weapon.
  13. ezaroo

Yeah the tsar is not a scout rifle... It is an iron sights BASR. Yeah you can play it a bit like a scout rifle but it isn't one.
  14. OldMaster80

The TRAP imho is poo: the ksr - 35 is superior and it cost less.
    And the TSAR is not a scout rifle.
  15. pnkdth

Artemis(FASR), 2x reflex, laser sight, and suppressor. I run ASC, hunter cloak, max darts, and med kits.

Aim for the neck and compensate for recoil, and people drop very quickly. Don't let that 652 ROF fool you, this weapon has the same damage model as an assault rifle, and it is very accurate. If you are playing VS you are already used to using low DPM weapons, and with the setup given above it has very accurate hipfire as well.

What sets it a part from SMGs is that you do not have to run up in peoples faces to be effective anymore. The suppressor is important as well, because you want to move on the periphiral edges of combat, which also means you really do not want to ping on the mini-map. It also alleviate the need to go in and out of cloak. Much how a good LA plays, you should jab, jab, jab.

You won't need the ammo belt because of the generous ammo reserve... And the last point is pretty much why I dislike the semi-auto rifles. Way too little ammo. You chew through it very quickly, which kinda ruins the who scout part. Also, do not listen to those who say you can use the semi-autos as shotguns. The COF is terrible, even with a laser sight. You are always been off with your chosen side arm.

If I want a semi-auto I'll go for the lower magnificant semi-auto sniper rifles. Hits much harder. Not I want to. These days I do not even consider SMGs or the semi-autos. Either I go in with a FASR or BASR. The NS PDW is kinda interesting, sort of a mix between a SMG and scout rifle.

Same goes for my TR and NC chars. Love them FASRs.
  16. Erendil

I can't really comment on the TRAP specifically since I've not really playing w/ it, but comparing the other Semi-auto Sniper Rifles (SASNR) to Semi-auto Scout Rifles (SASCR), the SASNRs have:
    • tighter ADS CoF (0 vs .1)
    • lower Horizontal tolerance (.2 vs .3,)
    • 1 less body shot to kill at <15m for non-Nano targets, and 1 less body shot everywhere but 10-35m for Nano5 wearers.
    • higher powered scopes (depending on the weapon)
    But the Semi-auto Scout Rifles (SASCR) have:
    • way smaller moving ADS CoF (.25 vs .55)
    • lower vertical recoil
    • faster recoil recovery
    • tighter recoil angle (0/0 vs a variable angle for SASNR)
    • higher RoF,
    • much smaller CoF bloom,
    • more rounds in their mag and in reserve
    • a way smaller hipfire CoF
    • Faster muzzle velocity
    So Scouts handle a lot better and are much more flexible weapons to use, and are more accurate if you or your target are on the move. Add in the fact that they can also 2-headshot kill at any range and that a large share of the population no longer even wears Nano, and IMO they become superior to the SASNRs for most situations.

Basically, if you plan to move at all while you're firing and/or want the added versatility of decent hipfire ability, choose a Scout. If you plan to only ambush unaware opponents or just sit still while exchanging fire like a bare-knuckle boxer in an Irish Stand Down, choose the SASNR.
  17. Akaran

Sorry for not replying earlier to this, with a followup.

I made a big mistake earlier on this post - I presumed (man I feel like an idiot) that scout rifles were the same as semi auto snipers. Shows you how often I use anything other than a BASR.

In terms of scout rifles, I fell in love with the full auto SAOS 20. 24 rounds in the clip, and a strong enough TTK with mid range. If I wasn't so much a fan of spray and pray, I'd forever use it over my Hailstorm (I know, I know, the Armistice is a better SMG. I hate the clip size.) Suffice it to say, it's going to be my weapon of choice for scout rifles as I work towards the general Infiltrator directive.

Semi-auto sniper wise, I'm still torn. I can't tell if I love the TRAP or hate it, but after putting a suppressor on it and treating it like an utterly awful SMG, I've been able to make some gains. It's gonna be a long road to the aux medal, but it is what it is. I'm st ill having a lot of trouble determining the other semi-auto to go for to wrap things up - the 99SV or the KSR. I'm still having some serious issues figuring out range/targeting to put down hostiles... but the info in the thread so far has really helped.

This is the route I'm taking.
    RAMS .50 (done)
    M77 (bolt, working)
    SR7 (bolt, haven't started)
    TRAP (semiauto, working)
    99SV/KSR (not really started)

If there's another gun I'm not considering that would work well for the credits here, I'd love to know it. Thank you in advance.
  18. Vosrash

WELL, technically the armistice is only better if you can stand running around without extended mags, as the ALS makes a pretty substantial difference in how SMG's perform.
  19. Wobulator

Scout rifles are incredibly versatile. An SMG really only works within 20 meters. A sniper rifle only works outside of 50. A scout rifle works everywhere from 5 to 50. If I don't know what I'm going up against, I always pull a scout rifle. It's hard to go head-to-head, but certainly very doable. Slap a suppressor and a forward grip on it, and you can pull of kills in a huge variety of ways.

People say that scout rifles are a niche weapon- that is absolutely false. Everything else the infiltrator has is a niche weapon- the scout rifles are far more versatile than that.
  20. Weatherchild

Here is my killstreak with the Artemis automativ scout rifle. Scout rifles are one of my favourite weapon types. I auraxiumed the Vandal and the Artemis.

I always use reflex or heat scope on them and always a supressor. I do medium to short range fights but never up front. Flanking is the way to go.