[Vehicle] Do you think it would be better if at least MBT's fired faster rounds?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheMish, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TheMish

In reality, tank rounds go around a thousand m/s.

So I wonder, how would you guys feel if MBT's had their horribly slow bullets traded in for modern, 1000m/s rounds?

On one hand, I see how it'd be tanking a lot easier, but on the other hand, the game would still require quick thinking, and strategy to crush your enemy. Except now your tank cannon would be considerably deadlier.
    • Up x 5
  2. IPLAYTF2

so you want tanks to have hitscan when they are already very easy to use

mind blown
    • Up x 1
  3. DatVanuMan

1,000 m/s? Imagine what a Prowler would be able to accomplish, man>:/
    Just decrease drop on the Supernova, and I'll be happy.
    • Up x 7
  4. Zapon

BE ADVISED , this happened once accidently when the devs were adjusting tank round velocities- prowlers had about 800 m/s rounds

they seemed railgunish, but otherwise did not seem too bad- even thouhg other tank rounds were not at this level'

they fixed it, but it showed it would be workable, because the engine can handle hypervelocities'

the problem is, i feel there's no will with the devs to amp up things to that level despite ian engine that can do this
    • Up x 1
  5. ColonelChingles

Tank shells > bullets in terms of speed.

Every once in a while you have infantry complain that bullet velocity is unnecessarily nerfed making infantry combat a chore. They point out that something like the Razor has a bullet velocity of 560 m/s, while a real 5.56 round can move at around 940 m/s. Which means that the Razor would need a 68% buff to bullet velocity to bring it up to snuff.

Tank shells though can travel up to 1,750 m/s... whereas the Vanguard's AP shell chugs allow at 275 m/s. This means that Vanguard needs a 536% velocity buff to being it up to par with actual tank shells.

At the very least tank shells ought to be faster than bullets. I'm not asking for 1,750 m/s... but at least 900 m/s would be appropriate (faster than the Railjack). Having bullets travel more quickly than tank shells is just ridiculous.
    • Up x 2
  6. Hatesphere

with the range compression in this game that could be a very bad thing. you would also have to up the mag riders strafe to a pretty crazy speed for it to even be remotely useful as well.
    • Up x 1
  7. Klypto

Current velocity is mostly fine.
    • Up x 4
  8. TheMish

Well I mean every MBT obviously. I hate the VS with a passion, but it'd be crazy to leave the VS with a 250 m/s gun, while the Prowler and Vanguard wield 1000m/s + ones.
  9. TheMish

Idk how it's hyper velocity.

The NS-15m can push bullet velocity to around 700m/s with high velocity rounds.

The Railjack is 850m/s.

It's clear it can be done easily. Only difference is that the bullet would obviously rip someone's head off, and go through armor plating.
  10. Disconsented

Would be interesting to see this on PTS
  11. FBVanu

We asked for an increase in shell velocity, numerous time. but, instead it got nerfed, repatedly

Shell velocity has been going down since Jan.. then splash nerf combined with velocity nerf, in April, and again in July

I once tried the HE shell for Prowler.. that thing was soooooo slow..

The answer is YES, shell velocity should be increased, for all tank shells. by at least 50%.. but that would probably lead to an outcry on the forum..
    although it would not change much, it would not increase DPS, it would not increase splash, it would increase our "perceived" wait time to reload..
    but it would certainly make it 'feel' more like a tank.. versus a sling shot
    • Up x 5
  12. Alarox

I think the current velocities are fine. Keep them as they are.
    • Up x 3
  13. Alkezo

While I would enjoy higher projectile velocities on all weapons, I'm afraid it would destroy the balance of the game. All tanks would become insanely effective AA platforms with near hit-scan capabilities. Lancer would lose its role. Magrider's would lose all benefit of strafing. You'd need to drastically increase the render range of infantry and vehicles along with adding much higher zoom capabilities. Too much would need to be changed to allow proper projectile velocities.
    • Up x 1
  14. _itg

You have to keep in mind that everything in this game is scaled down from reality. All bullets, not just tank bullets, are slower than real-life bullets. Aircraft are really slow, and they fly extremely low. Explosives have tiny blast radii. In-game snipers have the effective range of real-life assault rifles. Shotguns have absurdly short effective range. Rockets are comically slow--so slow, in fact, that they must have some active vertical thrust to keep them from falling on the ground 5m in front of the user. Bullets lose energy (damage) over short distances, which has no basis in real physics. If in-game weapons behaved like real-life weapons, there would be far more instant deaths out of nowhere, because that's what real, effective weapons do to you.
    • Up x 7
  15. cruczi

If maps were 10x bigger with the areas between bases much more open, and if aircraft were faster, then sure... we might buff tank round velocity
  16. TheMish

But tanks usually only hit their flying target when it's hovering in place, or gliding slowly. I've had so many experiences gunning down, watching things gunned down, and being gunned down by tanks. It wouldn't change that much I think. Sure it'd be easier, but it's certainly not tanks that get the job done, it's usually anti-air.

The Lancer wouldn't lose any role, it's a handheld anti-vehicle weapon. The benefit is being a small, deadly, and precise anti-tank unit. Where as a tank is big, cumbersome, and obviously deadlier.

When it comes to the Magrider's strafing, it's become a sickening problem for Vanguards, Prowlers, and Lightnings. Because it's pretty hard for a lot of people to hit the Magrider. I myself have auto-repair on it, and there's very few case where I have to get out to repair. If anything, it would finally put the other tanks on equal ground with the Magrider. It would still be fairly difficult to hit it at longer ranges, where the Magrider gets it's superiority with strafing, and a recoil-less gun.

I don't see how increasing the rendering range would do much. It's a good enough range, I'd be fine with a longer range, but since SOE decided to listen to people with garbage computers, we have 400m for infantry, and more for vehicles. Which so far is fine, I mean, how often do you hit you a harasser when it's far away with your firearm? Now reduce that rpm to one or two shots every 4 seconds.

I honestly think nothing would have to be changed, it'd be interesting to see it on the test server, to at least see how it would be with realistic bullet velocities. Because honestly, the MBT's are pretty much howitzers. The bullet velocity is sometimes annoying unless you lock down in a Prowler.
  17. TheMish

Yeah I guess that makes sense.
  18. SinerAthin

I actually think Velocity could use an increase in general.

Planetside 2 is a bit lacking in the long-range department. One of the reasons is because we're so durable, we can take 5-8 shots without going down.

The other reason being that bullet velocities are so damn low ^^
  19. Cuze

The other thing to keep in mind is that as bullet velocity increases, not only do you need to lead targets less, but you also need to compensate less for drop. If that were to happen, even AP tanks would be able to easily snipe infantry from 300 meters. (at 1000 m/s it would only take 0.3 seconds, during which drop would be near negligible, and it would 1-shot by hitting the person's foot).

The whole reason velocity was nerfed, while reverse acceleration buffed was to try to get tanks closer to infantry so that they have some overlap in their effective ranges.
    • Up x 1
  20. TheMish

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Maybe 1000 m/s+ for the Vanguard, and the Prowler and Magrider would get lower velocities.