As a NC player- explain me Old Lynx/New Lynx case, for me it doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mystogan, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Mystogan

Ok, so let me start with statement that as a NC player I agree that GD-7F should be TR weapon, not NC. IMO fastest NC carbine should be 750-800 143 dmg AT MAXIUMUM.

Anything beyond shoould be TR. But OK, we all know how SOE understand Faction Traits.

But lets get back to Lynx.

So TR had 800 rpm//143 dmg CQC Old Lynx, with SMG-like hipfire, ALS, SPA, 40 rounds per magazine and 0.75 ADS speed. It wasn't as fast as GD7F BUT it was close to it and it had 10 more rounds.

I WOULD TRADE 45 rpm for 10 more rounds on GD7F in blink of eye.

So TR had (in my opinion, sadly didn't have opportnity to play old lynx, but watched some YT videos) great CQC weapon that was Hipfire monster with 10 more rounds. So.....why TR didn't like it?? Or they did but SOE got brilliant IDEA?

So NEW Lynx has- lower DPS, worse hip-fire, lower DPM, lost 0.75 ADS for.....909 rpm which didn't eve increase DPS in CQC. I thought that TR should have best dakkaka CQC in game. So WTF??

Can someone explain me why TR lost so beautyfull weapon for such little better SMG? Why SOE didn't you just add this New Lynx, call in a Panter and leave old Lynx as it was.

I still think that GD7F should be TR but why they lost their only 800 rpm 143 dmg carbine while NC and VS still have Serpent/GD7F.

What is more funny- VS still have 800rpm/143 fmg carbine. Also- NC and VS both have 577 rpm/167 carbine ( Razor and Pulsar C, so it is not exclusive tier) and yet COUGAR got 550 rpm/167 dmg. Why Cougar is not 577 rpm!?!

Seriously I was excited to play as TR LA before. Now I can't get to it seein how much their carbine arsenal is worst and totally out of counterparts to other TWO factions (GD/Serpent, VX, Pulsar C, Razor). Instead TR, dakka faction with CQC fast firing weapons has 750 rpm carbines and not even one 577 rpm, even though both other factions have it.... Same as with LMGs- two 750 rpm. Why not one 800/143. Just.....wut?

Just...why?
    • Up x 3
  2. Oddhermit

The problem with the old Lynx was that the Jaguar was better in too many ways.

The Lynx had really bad recoil that pulled so hard right it was hard to deal with past close ranges, and the extra 50 RoF also came with that CQC weapon nerf to bullet drop off.

The Jaguar OTOH has the basic side-to-side recoil that requires no left or right pull compensation. It has less bullet drop off. The RoF is still quite good for CQC as well.

Now, I'm not saying the new Lynx is an improvement. It definitely is not in my mind, but the old Lynx was probably chosen to get changed because TR were mostly using the Jaguar anyway, and the Lynx was complained about a fair amount. Plus TR were irked that they were the "RoF Faction" yet VS and TR had better rate of fire Carbines.

Of course, the 10 extra bullets tends to get overvalued by the devs it seems, so they couldn't just give the Lynx 845 RoF with the 40 round magazine but some other trade-offs. Instead they created a gun with lower damage bullets and higher RoF, but that actually ended up still being lower DPS while losing the damage per mag advantage. It gained easier handling but it still pretty inaccurate due to the fire rate expanding its bloom/recoil so quickly. And it lost .75 ADS. It seemed like a huge nerf to me, and I personally can't stand the gun, but others seem happy with so maybe I'm missing something.

As for the Cougar, all I can do is laugh at the clueless itemization. The Razor is actually 550 RoF though, not 577. I choose the Merc over the Razor on NC for the 600 RoF.

TR's carbines are what led to me eventually just switching over to VS. I gave up after the big TR patch introduced the new Lynx and Cougar both of which were a total disappointment and neither of which I'd ever both spending 1k certs on.
    • Up x 1
  3. sindz

I smell something funny.

NC also has 3 167dmg /600 ROF.

The problem with NC is, they have access to everything. All from 167/600 & 200dmg model LMG's, carbines while having 845 ROF carbine aswell. They are clearly the faction with the most diversity and choices by _far_. Same story with AR's. Where the VS and TR gets inferior versions, NC gets the exactly the same in carbine and AR's categories, for reasons unknown to any of mankind - only in LMG they dont get a tied for fastest ROF while having the best 167dmg model and a 200dmg model on top of that.

As VS and TR that is sad. Mostly VS now, since we are just middle of the road with nothing really unique.
    • Up x 4
  4. Morti

ya you don't have any .75 ads lmgs at all
    • Up x 9
  5. Rovertoo

I agree, but I think all factions should have one 'tier' above and below their trait. So TR should have one tier 'up' that is the 167 Cougar, and one tier 'down' that is the Lynx (buff to lynx being another conversation), just like NC has one tier 'up' that is the AC-X11, and one tier 'down' that is the GD-7f (change to this being another conversation). VS, I'm not too familiar with but I believe they have these tiers as well. (From my understanding the problem comes with the regular -middle- tier VS weapons being all too similar, not really the outliers.) Whereas the Lynx 1.0 was changed because it wasn't a tier 'down' from the standard carbines.
    • Up x 1
  6. sindz

Sigh. Ns-11m. And how does that help in the carbine and assault rifle department?
    • Up x 1
  7. Kunavi

0ri0/\/ FTW... Just saying.
    • Up x 1
  8. minhalexus

Does 167/600 magically make something OP? Lol.
    There are certain damage models NC does not have, which I seem to prefer in the 143 damage department.

I agree that NC should not have access to 125 damage models.
    I'd be happier if they made the GD-7F into something like the VX8 of the VS.
  9. Fellgnome

167 damage weapons have the lowest horizontal recoil in general.

VS and TR's 167 damage weapons are stuck at lower rates of fire that limit them in close range effectiveness.

167 damage weapons with 600 RoF end up have TTKs that are slightly better than 143/698 tier weapons, while having better accuracy and more damage per mag in the case of VS vs. NC at least. TR have better damage per mag, but for some unfortunate trade-offs that do no favors for their mid-long range weapons.

So yeah, right now 167/600 guns are overpowered when it comes to "all-rounder" or mid-range weapons.

If they made .175/.175 <--> recoil 167/600 NS Carbine(basically as close as possible to a Mercenary clone) I would go back to playing TR, and I'd occasionally take a moment to let out a bittersweet laugh at the Cougar and T5 AMC.
    • Up x 3
  10. minhalexus

So that extra 23 RoF makes it OP? lol

I understand if the low horizontal recoil makes 167 damage tier OP, but saying that +23 RoF makes a weapon OP is ridiculous.
  11. Nakar

The new Lynx is way better than the old Lynx. The handling is superb, it's comfortable out to ranges I wouldn't bother using the GD-7F/Serpent. The gentler overall damage falloff isn't bad either. The new model suits the damage range and distinguishes it from the Jaguar. And it's fun shooting all those bullets. Don't we all like fun?

Also the old Lynx's hipfire was a bug. No automatic weapon in the game, SMGs included, has identical standing and moving hipfire COFs. They never had to fix or acknowledge this because they simply redesigned the weapon outright.
  12. patrykK1028

Why Corvus is 520 rpm when TR has 577 one and Nc even has 600rpm AR?!?!
    Also dont you think old Lynx was broken? 0.75 ADS (ORION OP 0.75 ADS, SOE PLEASE NERF!!!!!!!), huge DPS and 10 extra bullets? Sounds like superior GD7D and Serpent (VX6 7 has same DPS but no 0.75 ADS and only 30 rounds - even more broken)
  13. sindz

Love people who counter a totally valid argument with "lol".

Actually yes in this case 23 ROF + greater accuracy (lower horizontal) matters _alot_. Also makes the gun viable in CQC where there is something called TTK.
  14. minhalexus

Are you sure the Mercenray has lower recoil than the Pulsar? I need stats.
    I don't remember perfectly, but I think all 4 Cougar, AMC, Razor and Pulsar had easier recoil than the Merc.

As for TTK, the TTK time is 0.02 second shorter, if TTK is what you're going for there are better guns than the Mercenary's 0.52 s.

I use the Razor most of the time, I use it close/long everywhere. A small amount RPM doesn't make a gun UP.

Having +23 RPM doesn't really make a huge balancing issue, but if it's so bad then sure go ahead and buff the VS guns into 600 RPM. But do remove the Advanced forward grip from the Pulsar C if they are going to buff the RPM.

I still find it ridiculous when one says we're UP just cuz we have 23 less RPM for some other stuff. lol
  15. Axehilt

Both the Jaguar and Lynx compare great in KPH against the Serpent/GD-7F (both are higher than the VS/NC weapons).

So what exactly doesn't make sense?
    • The weapon is still fantastic on the high end of CQC weapons.
    • The weapon is more "TR-like" than ever, with the highest rate of fire of anything except the AMP.
  16. jiggu

My only issue with the Lynx now is that the ammo per mag feels too low. I can kill more people with an extended Armistice than I can with a Lynx. And if I miss with the Lynx then I am dead while reloading, not with the Armistice.
  17. z1967

The old Lynx was ridiculously innaccurate, even for a CQC weapon. Its ROF and 10 rounds of ammo still led to huge amounts of ammo lost due to recoil.

The New lynx has less damage per mag and slightly less DPS, but spits out rounds like crazy and is crazy good in ADS because of the easy to learn recoil. It now also has the highest ROF of any carbine at the bonkers 907 rpm and was temporarily the fastest firing infantry weapon in the game until the AMP was released (937 RPM).

I love the new Lynx, and I didn't touch the old one because I found it to be too unpredictable, even in the VR room.
  18. sindz

but you arent looking at the big picture. When TR and VS getting something not normal dmg model for their respective faction they get a watered down version, be it ROF/recoil/velocity etc. But NC gets to keep their trait which is 167/600 RPM but also get the bullethoses like 845, 800 AR etc WHILE they also get 200dmg model guns as the only faction. And their bullethoses arent watered down, they are exactly the same as what VS/TR would get.

NC has the lowest horizontal recoil of all 3 factions, both in carbines, AR's and LMG's. being mostly 0.175/0.175.

Its not only the mercenary that has 167/600. 19A Fortuna has aswell, AF-4A Bandit even has 167/632.

Its just that NC has so much diversity without getting watered down versions thats a bit sad, all factions should have access to all kind of dmg models since faction traits are a thing of the past in 9 out of 10 cases.

And do the math, the 23 ROF, actually do matter.
    • Up x 6
  19. minhalexus

NC has the highest vertical recoil and bloom per shot to balance that.

If vertical recoil was so much easier to handle, then why don't I see VS players suddenly getting +1 or 2 KDR when playing NC?
    I for one can tell you that I have similar KDR on all 3 factions (for infantry), and I'm sure many other players can too.

Like I said having +23 recoil doesn't magically make a gun OP. Mercenary does not have some stuff the Pulsar has to balance that like the 'Advanced Forward Grip'.

Bandit pays other prices like extreme damage drop-off, lower velocity, longer reloads, higher recoil, for that 167/632 model.

Statically 167/600 NC guns aren't really out-performing other factions.

I can agree that NC should not have access to 125 damage models, which is the Blitz, and there should be some 200 damage NS guns.

BUT as a counter argument, I can say that VS and TR have shotguns. I'm fine if they take away every NC gun above 700 RPM if they remove shotguns from TR and VS.

But of-course that would be dumb.
  20. Bennybones

Can I just mention here that the Bandit was intended for the TR. The TR didn't want it so they gave it to us. I don't know if you missed that whole debacle but the reason we have the Bandit is because the TR didn't want it.
    • Up x 3