Question to low KD players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by patrykK1028, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Taiji

I think maybe it helps to bear in mind that KDR isn't how sensible players measure other people's performance. Noone whose opinion matters is going to look down on you for dying over and over while trying to PTFO. Quite the opposite in fact.
    • Up x 1
  2. LibertyRevolution

Yep, there is no reason to fear death when their is no cost. I don't ever worry about dying, I can respawn in 8 secs..

When playing CS 1.6, dying meant you had to wait for the match to end to respawn, the wait time could be 2 mins or more..
    If you didn't kill someone before you got killed, then your team is down a guy because you failed.
    Death was something you wanted to avoid.

If there are 8 guys with machine guns holding a building, rush it with 20 guys, yes half will die, but the other half will take the room.
    Instead we get 20 guys camping a building, too afraid to hurt their K/D to be one the guys rushing the building.. it is sad really..
    • Up x 4
  3. TheKhopesh

Low is under a 1.0 k/d.

If you're killing more people than you're dying, you're causing a vacuum somewhere for the enemies, and that's what counts.
    Victory via attrition is still a victory.
    • Up x 3
  4. Linedan

I have a sub-1 k/d on both my mains (see sig) and yet they're BRs 70 and 51. If I start getting frustrated--and believe me, I do--I usually log off and go do something else, and the anger fades quickly. If all else fails, I go hit Youtube and watch a few Russian dashcam videos and soon realize that sucking at a game is not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

I also remind myself that I'm playing "combat engineer" (engy on foot, I rarely spawn vehicles) 85-90% of the time and that's not conducive to a high k/d. I focus on things like repairing, dropping ammo, smart mine placement, things that can aid my team in base capture. And sometimes I lead charges because maybe I can soak up a few bullets while the stone killers avenge me.
  5. siiix

thats why you need a good mix on your team.. you need tweekers, just as much self sacrificing players, and just as much as vehicle wh-0-res... a tweeker will rarely risk they KD score if the situation is to risky, they go for the easy kills... also if the high KD player is busy with low priority targets, this gives an opportunity for the other team.. again its all about a good mix... a team of 100% tweekers (very high KDR players) would rarely win, most would quite the platoon because the high risk, and move on to an easier battle
  6. Kriegson

True, but on the same token having low K/D =/= useless. Someone who constantly keeps his teammates supplied with ammo and the enemy supressed with a turret, or reviving team mates and allowing them to push, etc.
    Some weapons also fill a support role with high damage, but low RoF in such a manner it is easy to damage enemies quite a bit, but not necessarily get a kill.

It's probably already been said, but there is a lot of ways to contribute to the fight than K/D.
    • Up x 2
  7. Halo572

Yes this is amusing.

True - if you use a vehicle, aircraft or sit on a hill 2 km back or use a max suit, if you only have 1.5 doing that you are seriously bad at exploiting.

False - if you play infantry in a game where instagib is the norm for the fleshy meatbags and most medics don't even know they can revive.

It doesn't matter how careful you are there is always some sniper, pilot, tanker or running around a corner into a shield using heavy.

And bases designed for maybe 32 players at most, with 200 in them don't work other than to make that instagib even more millisecond based.

Only a player who only knows 'True' would say 2.5 is low when I can commonly get 0.33 before climbing to 2.5-3.5 by being more careful.

And that 0.33 is from being instagibbed usually by someone I never even get to see with a 1hk.
    • Up x 1
  8. LodeTria

Depends on what I'm doing.
    If I am squad-oping with my outfit my K/D is irrelevant and whatever we are trying to accomplish is put as a priority over everything else.
    If I am lone-wolfing as infantry or vehicles and I keep dying over and over not accomplishing anything like destroying a vital sunderer or something I tend to just log out for a few hours and go play something else instead.
  9. STR1D3R109

If im on a nasty death streak I will switch to wraith flash and see how many people I can kill with the shotgun.. its good fun!

Also playing as a Stalker and just sitting there with my enemies having a good ol time haha.

But hey, best way to avoid constant deaths is to team up with a competent squad!!!!!!
  10. Danath

If I have a good K/D ratio that means I'm getting less certs than usual. So I don't care much
  11. FieldMarshall

Im at 3.24 on my main character and 4.2 on my alt, but when i go on "20 death streaks" i usually dont mind as long as i get certs.
    Dont really care about dying tbh. I would probably be bothered if i was constantly at 0.5 or something, i dunno.

I sometimes play revive medic or dive a repair sunderer and dont get any kills at all for hours. But as long as i get certs then i dont mind death streaks.
  12. Plunutsud pls

I rage quit and uninstall lel
  13. faykid

When I get a death streak, I yell at my PC and then pull MAX or HE lightning.
  14. FocusLight

In my two years my K/D has never crawled higher than 1.6 - this is exclusively due to my play-style and what I aim to do.

I do care about my K/D to some degree, everyone does, but it's mostly irrelevant to me. Sometimes I get a good streak and single handedly wipe a whole room of enemies clean, or solo a MAX suit as infantry, or pop a MAX suit and several infantry due to good approach and positioning, or I manage to kill 2-3 dudes and blow up their sundy as well, and I feel *SUPER AWESOME* about it, but just as often I end up dying over and over and over and it don't.ever.stop... :eek:

But in the end, the sense of achievement and accomplishment comes from the overall team-effort and the ultimate goal - kick those silly Smurfs/Spandex-clad lady-boys out of [insert base name] and watch them flee before the fury of your assault, then hunt down the stragglers and push on the next base.

Every once in a while we end up losing alerts, usually well-fought alerts where only a tine difference made the end result and we lost with a small margin. That's an invitation and aspiration to get better, and I do. Sometimes we win alerts, often at narrow margins and you know that little extra effort you helped to provide. Get's you a sense that YOUR EFFORTS mattered and you helped to win the whole thing.

THESE situations is when I log off and go to bed with a smile on my face. It was fun, it was mighty entertainment, and honestly you should never tie your happiness to your K/D. If you suck at it, either consider giving the game up if this bothers you, or go join with others who can help you get better, or mitigate the meaning of your K/D.

In PS2, plenty of "win" conditions don't include your K/D at all. Try to gravitate towards those.
  15. DramaticExit

Or one of those engineers that's repairing and resupplying your max, before getting blown up by C4 meant for you. Or maybe the medic who spends his time actually reviving and healing people rather than shooting.

It might be that their average life in those support classes is extremely long - Just they don't get many kills, because that is not their focus.
    • Up x 2
  16. MiniSentrygun

I usually care more about exp, cert gain and destroying vehicles.
  17. Soldat0815

If u play like a normal human u won't have a high KD.
    Never!
    Because all possible fronts are 96+ enemys.
    Allways!
  18. Champagon

K/D in a team based game doesn't matter.......well i guess it matters for now until some more permanent rewards for working as a team are in place /shrug
  19. Sulsa

A low K/D during a specific gaming episode is just the metric of what you could call an 'off night'. The K/D itself isn't actually a thing, it's only a measurement.
    One of the many things I absolutely love about PS2 is that you can totally switch up what you are doing and salvage a frustrating evening of playing.

Exactly this. I believe it's impossible to have everyone on the server have a K/D over 1.0 so the "Low K/D = 2.5" crowd is just ignorant to the full potential of PS2 and one-dimensional in their gaming style.
    • Up x 3
  20. Littleman

I tend to switch to an infil or heavy when I'm on a death streak, depending on if I'm A: getting mauled by vehicles or B: cloakers are freaking everywhere and I need to discourage them something fierce. In extreme circumstances, I log off and log into my VS because I'm pretty convinced most VS players use aim hacks, and this notion is reinforced almost daily, especially when Orion users are head pinging me from beyond 50m while strafing. At least, I hear far fewer head pings as a VS going against either TR or NC. FAR fewer.

Sometimes, when there is no good explanation, killing the sound, opening up youtube, and just playing some damn good battle tempo music works wonders. If not that, a 15 minute log out break also has an odd tendency to reset my funk.

Lately, I've been averaging 2.5-3.5 K/D, but only 20,000 SPM (I go heavy on my alts because I won't go medic until my revive tool is rank 6.) On my TR, my K/D is a 2.05, and I'm slowly climbing out of it primarily as a medic. Roof cappers need LA to take them on. Sometimes, HA is preferable to someone that can raise the dead a mere 5 feet from the sunderer they'll be spawning at. Sometimes, numbers on both sides are thin enough that an infiltrator that can seek out and assassinate individuals is more preferable to a dude that might resurrect a dude every half minute at best.