[Skill] I do better right when I start playing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zero M0nster, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Zero M0nster

For some reason I get killstreaks and do a lot better right when I hop on planetside 2 than after ive been playing for 15 minutes. I always just do better right when I log on. Why is this? And how can I preserve my skill for longer time periods?
  2. xboxerdude

Various reasons, the best way is just to program the movements into muscle-memory
    • Up x 1
  3. Lamat

For me it's the opposite, I suck for the first 15-20 minutes, then I warm up and start playing well.

You might consider coffee. Then, it's weird to ask on a game forum but what is your diet like and do you excercise?
    • Up x 3
  4. NinjaTurtle

I have similar experiences

I play well for the first 30 minutes or so and then progress to end up playing bad. I am nearly always around 4.0 after 30 mins - 1 hour and then over the course of the next hour or so I go on huge death streaks, nothing I do works out, every BR3 sniper is an MLG pro, my accuracy starts to drop off and I end the session around 1.5 - 2.0
    • Up x 2
  5. ConradHorse

Physical exercises FTW! You must be swelling and tired but full of positive energy! That's the army way! That's the only way!
  6. Maphreal

I'm the opposite as well. It takes me 15ish minutes up to the whole session to find my groove. It really depends if I can relax and let go of some daily stress. If I can't I just end up getting frustrated and quit.

So I'd say to try to identify the state of mind you are in when playing well and try to maintain that.
  7. quatin

There's some science behind this. I heard something like, your mind is attentive for 15 minutes when seeing something new. Then it goes into some auto pilot mode. So you might get better hand eye coordination and awareness for the first 15 minutes you start playing.
  8. Zero M0nster

No I don't drink coffee (Im in high school) and yes I play Varsity Water polo and pratice everyday at 5:30.
  9. CipherNine

1)Memory leak might be slowing your client down

2)Your initial success might make you underestimate your opponents which results in taking unnecessary risks and poor gameplay. You should always play cautiously.
    • Up x 1
  10. Halo572

This.

Game is primarily based on instagib, if you want to get into combat less than about 30m then expect to die in 1-4 hits if you are lucky.

Which doesn't mean sit on a hill 2km away and be a 1337 5n1p3rz, just stop running and gunning.

And if you start to die a lot look at the numbers in the battle and why.

Too many tanks, 5n1p3rz, aircraft going hand to hand with you with knives and maxes and it is time to redeploy.

Same with if there are 200 versus 200, they go nowhere and are just TDM stalemate, or ironically 12 versus 12 as that is instagib hell as well or 100 versus 6.

Sadly you can't allow for morons who tk you, they are just polluting the gene pool.

Trust me, I have now finished my research and understand why this game is so broken - primarily being the completely off sights - and all of that is a factor too.
    • Up x 1
  11. Axehilt

I see some mixed results.
    • I definitely do better when I get nice long sessions two days in a row over a weekend.
    • My first ESF of a session is usually a laughably bad disaster.
    • That said, sometimes my first vehicle is ridiculously successful. I don't really think it's because I'm playing unusually well, but that I don't have any sense for where the enemy is -- so I flank deeper than I would try flanking on subsequent lives.
  12. phreec

Probably memory leak causing your FPS to tank and inputs getting more and more delay as a result.
  13. ViXeN

No idea, its the opposite for me. I usually need about 15-20 minutes before I get warmed up and start playing really well.
  14. MajiinBuu

I definitely do better after I start playing for awhile. When I first log in most of the stuff hasn't loaded yet. I could spawn at a sundy and the sundy might not even render :D
  15. Zero M0nster

I get 60 FPS at least always so this "memory leak" isn't it. Its just that my skill seems to fall, sometimes I listen to music sometimes I don't
  16. cruczi

Hmm, I haven't noticed that in my case. I seem to play the same MLG pro übersk1ll ownage game all the time, just can't help it.
  17. Vertabrae

How weird. The second you used numbers to spell a word happened to be the exact same instant I stopped reading your post. Strange how that always happens.
  18. SinerAthin

I fly my ESF better when drunk for some reason o_O

I have on occasions taken out two enemy pilots simultaneously in dogfights, and performed absolutely crazy maneuvers through the trees of Hossin or the legs of a Biolab, provided I am properly inebriated.
  19. Klypto

Record yourself playing

Play back your fights at slow speed and take notes of your issues.

Pick one issue and consciously focus on improving that throughout combat.
  20. Einharjar

Player fatigue and lack of discipline (mechanical discipline).

When you first stsrt up, you are hyped and ready to go. You are alert snd you are concerned with every bit of info you can see. This makes your awareness higher, reflexes faster and surprisingly your reflexes simply kick in thanks to the hyped thril.

After a time, you become fatigued mentally from over exerting your awareness. You msy start second guessing a move, or be hesitant to commit to one. In otber cases, you start to tunnel vision, likely getting most of your deaths because you were blind sided from losing that early game awareness you had earlier.

This just means you need more practice. Had the same issue when i tried going pro for starcraft bw. Competitive play, no matter how serious, can turn you into a mean machine from the hype alone after youve learned how to play. The next phase is the discipline, controlling your emotions and programming muscle memory and subconcious/habitual procedures such as checking your minj map every 5 seconds like a nervous tick, autoreloading after every engagement, never standing still, so on and so forth.

When you stsrt to suck in your next session, just try to relax. Maybe take a quick break and seriously get a nice snack. Keep your brian fed and tell your body to calm down. Then try again.

Its just fatigue from lack of discipline, man. Youll get there before you know it. I think i just hit my phase too on this game. Been there done it before. Be persistang and relax and it will pass. Before you know youll start pwning in autopilot.