New Striker Feedback (as of 09/09)

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by DrTeeth, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Tuco

You know I'm pretty sure you can avoid any projectile (self propelled or not) attack if you back up behind a rock.
  2. MrEpicHeroGuy

Racer doesn't improve reverse speed. Rival does. 35 kph is your reverse speed with Racer, 42 kph with Rival.
    • Up x 1
  3. iller

Bit of a slippery slope for a launcher that's supposed allow indirect fire. I definitely cannot just stand facing ANY TARGET with the phoenix and expect to land the rocket on it with direct line of sight before they kill me unless they're so distracted that it no longer counts as a 1v1 situation. Decimator is the premier 1v1 launcher and takes the same amount of time to reach the target as the phoenix. These are all important niches and just b/c 1 is better for smoking a MAX in CQC doesn't mean it's always going to be the gold standard that several heatseeking dumbfires will play by.

And if you wanna talk about frustrating Rocket damage versus infantry, go unlock the Phoenix and then practice practice practice until you're headshotting infantry with it. Then despair at its hilarious ineffectiveness compared to an AV mana turret or Ravens.....
  4. Maljas23

Is TR allowed to have a decent ESRL? VS sure doesn't think so.

Great feedback OP. I agree 110%.
    • Up x 6
  5. gigastar

I know. Ive only ever used Rival on Lightnings so ive long forgotten what the stock reverse speed is.
  6. MrEpicHeroGuy

At least you can cancel the camera guiding with the Phoenix, with the striker you can only fire at vehicles and have to maintain a lock the entire time until all rockets land. Sure, its not the greatest infantry or max option, but at least you can use it in clutch situations whereas with the Striker your just SOL for now. :p
    • Up x 1
  7. iller

Devs said it was supposed to work like Coyotes? Are you saying they didn't change it at all?
  8. MrEpicHeroGuy

I was talking about the current Striker, on live servers. Haven't messed with the PTS version any. Sorry for not clarifying that earlier.
  9. iller

Alright then I'll clarify too.... Against Ground vechilces I see their argument that its still weak. Especially against Harassers :oops:
    Against Air on Test server, it should be the only RL you'll ever need to buy. And the more ppl who do, the stronger it's multiplied force will be versus Air zergs. And that's fair b/c it's exactly what they told us NC as the Phoenix kept getting nerfed: IE: "don't try to 1-man it, U stupid pikasmurfs"
  10. MrEpicHeroGuy

What if they made it do AP damage to ground vehicles?
  11. xArchAngelx

There is a way they can fix it, but it would mean that the design team would have to change the weapon. The way I mentioned before on how to fix it is the following:

1: Reduce the rounds from 5 rockets to 2.
    2: Change the Damage to 400-450 per rocket.
    3: Keep the dumbfire/coyote mode.
    4: Increase the velocity/ ROF slightly, increase the reload time.
    5: Reduce the rocket drop, let it travel like the Fracture.
    6: Change the launcher to resemble a MAX Fracture.

**edit** The cartridge could resemble that of a revolver. sorta like the drum on the MCG***

[IMG]

so instead of this giant cartridge sticking up blocking 60% of the screen, its more slim lined.

Then it would be easier to adjust the weapon to keep it from being too OP that everyone is afraid of, and if a group of 5 people fired the weapon together, it would only fire 10 rockets instead of 25. So essentially, instead of a group of 5 guys doing 12,500 damage, they would only be doing 8,000-9,000.

I have played around with the Phoenix and Lancer. Those need adjustments as well.
    • Up x 1
  12. HolyMohli

tried it out int he VS
    15 rockets to kill a Magrider looool 1 day later he's dead... gj !
    5 rockets to kill a infantry (light assault) looool again gj !

worst joke ever !!! dude.. this Striker thing is such a big joke..

1 Rocket = 100 dmg awesome !! rofl
    • Up x 2
  13. DrTeeth

After playing around a bit more on PTS I have one more thing I'd like the devs to change: I would like the Striker to become an automatic weapon (ie. hold down the mouse button to fire all 5 rockets one after another automatically) rather than semi-auto. This will make the launcher easier to use and let people max out the (admittedly poor) DPS of the launcher. It will also make it easier to track, lead and fire on fast moving ESFs. There should be zero CoF bloom between shots of course.

Also, while a rate of fire increase would be welcome, if the launcher fires very quickly then it will start to compete in DPS and alpha terms with the existing launchers and lose its niche. I think the Striker as a low dps, low alpha but flexible launcher with high damage per mag and loadout is a good place for it to be.
    • Up x 2
  14. axiom537

Just because it is guided does not mean it can hit moving targets consistently. The potential is there but in practice it is horrendous, it just doesn't have the speed or maneuverability to be guided into a target that is moving laterally or away from the Phoenix user. You literally need to lead the target more with the phoenix, then with a dumb fire weapon and even when you do launch the phoenix, most of the time because it has such a narrow field of view you need to try and guide it ahead of the target, but you can't even see the target because it isn't in the field of view yet.

In practice I would pick the Deci or Shrike over the Phoenix if I had to hit moving targets.
  15. iller

^ +1 ...it might not look like it to other Factions, but the Phoenix turns slower than a Liberator giving it an incredibly low real-time skill ceiling and a very high preparation/positioning skill floor for not a whole lot of reward unless you've got 3 other heavies all using it next to you and Squad Leaders putting down Smoke signals.

I don't run AP shells so I can't really comment on that. Maybe someone else can though.
    My understanding with them though, had always been that it only reduces your number of shots needed by 1 compared to HEATs.
    I think the actual physics and scripting of the missiles will have a much larger impact on their performance.
  16. MrEpicHeroGuy

In that case, make it automatic like DrTeeth said, and much more damage per rocket so it can keep up with alternative launchers in dps. The only real problem with the current Striker on live servers is that it fires way too slow and the dps is horrible to not even warrant a real use.
    • Up x 1
  17. iller

"Slow" as in trajectory or as in attack interval ? ....I think the latest Higs stream confirmed one or both of those may be uptuned
  18. TriumphantJelly

You're the only one trying to debunk something urrently, and trying, it seems, to bait VS players into starting an argument.

RoF increase I agree with, although they should give it *SLIGHT* CoF and a little recoil in exchange.

RLs shouldn't be powerful against infantry because RURKET PRUMEREY! Also,
    6/3/2 direct hits to kill infantry with the Lancer. The whole clip, a chance of inaccurate misfire when spamfiring 6. And of course, you can miss. Flak and nanoweave can, I think, make it require more than 1 clip.
    And of course the Pheonix requires you to stand still, guide a rocket for 8 seconds and then reload and repeat to kill 1 infantry.

Many disagree with the no lock. I don't. Maybe better coyote effects against air, and of course the RoF increase.
  19. MrEpicHeroGuy

Nobody likes getting rocket primaried, but it still doesn't change the fact that its a missile backhanding you. Five (5) rockets from the Striker should be MORE than enough for 1 little dudelington running around. In exchange for the killing potential to infantry just give it a CoF and maybe some recoil like you said.

At least the Lancer can accurately hit at range, and can also be charged for a large damage dump. This wont make the Striker any better since you talked about adding CoF and recoil to it, plus there's no option to charge it.

The case with the phoenix is that you can fire from cover, all other rocket launchers force you out of precious safety in order to get a bead on what you wanna 'Splode. You can also terminate the camera guiding as well, though from my experience it tends to go bonkers when you do so, sometimes with uh... weird results.

EDIT: OP said it also is taking 8 (eight!) striker rounds to kill a single infantry, so.... Lancer still wins out :l
    • Up x 1