Resources should never be reduced again, even during the revamp.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Pootisman

I dont know how you play the game, but i rarely have max (750) nanites. I use everything that needs nanites: grenades, C4, mines, MAXes, tanks, ... I also like to play aggressive, i.e. spawn a MAX, use sprint to get to enemy position, kill 3-4 guys, then wait for allies to advance or respawn. It happens quite often that i dont have enough nanites for a MAX or tank. Resource income doesnt need a big nerf IMO.

Since the resource consolidation we have a lot more tank battles. Real, big tank vs tank battles. You see ~10 vehicles approaching your base? Tell your squad buddies to spawn tanks and then you duke it out. No more "i cant spawn tanks because my timer is still running."

ANTs would add more depth to the game, i agree. Resource income would need some balancing to make them useful, but im afraid SOE will nerf income into ground. (SOE loves to overnerf things.)
  2. GlueHead

The game is so much funnier now.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pootisman

I doubt this would work well because:
    • Players in PS2 tend to follow big zergs.
    • Most bases are pretty small.
    This means an attacked base is usually surrounded by tanks, infantry and aircraft. Good luck getting a low health vehicle into that base. Especially aircraft with thermal sights can spot and snipe low health vehicles in no time.
  4. iller

....normally yes ... but the inability to stock up on infantry Supplies anymore is a real problem there. We need that option back
    (unless it's C4 .... **** giving anyone 40 c4's to burn though ever again in infantry vs infantry fights)
  5. OldMaster80

And how much time do you have to wait before to spawn new stuff? 2 minutes in the worst case?

Many players manage to make their vehicle last enough so they NEVER run out of resources. No offence, but it never happened to me to reach 0 nanites. In the current state they could remove nanites and you will hardly notice it.

Said that I do not mean players should be able to spawn less vehicles than they currently do. The amount of tanks / explosive in the game imho is fine. The point is a faction should not be able to sustain a massive zerg of tanks and aircraft forever, unless they keep the army supplied with nanites.
    This would also create the new tactic to prevent players from resupply in order to weaken their forces.
    • Up x 1
  6. doombro

I honestly enjoy the spamfests way, way more than I should.

Why contain it? Make everything cost nothing. Then we're all winners.
  7. Lucidius134

I went back and played PS1 when it went free for previous subsribers.

I've longed for the idea of ANTs in ps2 but without enemy contact and in the PS1 Engine, it felt more like playing a late 90's 3d truck racing game, except there was no end of it.

Big Rigs, over the Planetside Racing
  8. SinerAthin

I have no problem with the availability of resources, seeing as Vehicles in this game are rather weak.
  9. Axehilt

And it's a very bad racing game because there's no nuance or depth to the system.

I'm strongly in favor of adding more logistics gameplay to PS2, but I'm strongly against ANTs because they were this shallow, mandatory chore. (I mean I guess some people can see their impending doom looming and then ignore it, but to me it just felt mandatory that I had to make the run because obviously nobody else was going to.)
    • Up x 1
  10. Calisai

Agreed, The ONLY time I remember ANT'ng being exciting was during the 2+ hour interlink farms.... where no matter what foresight you had.... an ANT run was a crapshoot against a full courtyard. Those were fun...

All other times, it was something to do while having lunch or dinner or when you were too high to do anything else. (Or if you were sub-BR4 and needed cheap easy XP)
    • Up x 1
  11. xboxerdude

ANTs should be minions NPC's that go to the destination so it doesn't require people to keep stuff going
    • Up x 1
  12. Inex

The change of scenery is nice every once in a while. Having an infinite MBT battle outside 'Base X' would be fun for the first 20 minutes or so, but by day 4 might be wearing a bit thin.

I'd love to see phase 2 keep the income rate at a player level, but introduce localized shortages - i.e. Your base has no more Nanites, you need to fall back to the next one. You get rid of 4 hour Biolab grinds, without denying people the ability to fly.
  13. Flapatax

Pretty excited for vehicle drivers to have to actually care about their chariots again. The reserved cost, where you can't regain the cost of what you've pulled until it's destroyed, will be particularly nice.

Also fewer grenades will be cool.
  14. PWGuy93

Okay a question to this thread about resources and upcoming changes, putting PS1 into context as a non free to play game and PS2 as a free to play game. The question is, what is your take on faction swap griefing intended to reduce available enemy resources and how should this be taken into account?

It's already happening, faction swapper logs into the enemy faction, pullls an ESF and goes about destroying friendly vehicles of all variety, those vehicles use up resources, now your faction has less resources out in the field and is forced back to the warpgate to pull a vehicle (any type).
  15. Ceiu

For those of you who played PS1, did these ANTs and resource pools kinda serve the same role that SCUs have now? Did PS1 also have SCUs at various locations? How did all of that work? It sounds like something that would add more depth to battles (at least, conceptually).

As far as the new resource system goes: I like it, but hate it at the same time. Like a few in this thread, I'm perpetually under 100 resources due to grenade costs and constantly trying to replace sunderers. In a vacuum, I'm okay with that -- it prevents me from endlessly spamming stuff. However, what ends up happening, from what I've seen, is that rather than punishing me/the player with reduced mobility and utility (no grenades or vehicles), people just redeploy across the country instead (or go AFK somewhere).

Also, I've noticed an annoying little problem with the anti-afk junk in the current resource system: If you're dead or otherwise looking at a menu screen during the last 3-5s before a resource allocation, you get skipped for that round. I've lost out on quite a few things when I've gone to look at directives or something when I noticed there was only 15s left.