change vanu magrider to a tank destroyer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Candarian, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Candarian

give it stealth instead of its booster and a anti-tank-gun
    firerate slightly lower than an anchored prawler and the damage slightly lower than the vangard guns
    take away the bullet drop
    and lower its hp to even it out

tr would still have high dpm and average armor
    nc would still have have the best armor/shield and best damage/shot
    and the vs highest dpm and no bullet drop but the worst armor/hp(and a stealth device for sneak attacks)

that would balance it because in a 1vs1 vs would have the best dpm but the worst armor/hp(so the enemy need less damage to kill this tank)

the magrider would be an easier target for air too because of lower hp/armor

now the magrider is a huge tankdestroyer(that stuck everywhere what is funny because it can hover) with terrible bullet drop and low damage gun
    this changes would make this useless tank to a usefull tankdestroyer
    • Up x 1
  2. maxkeiser

Erm. No. To all of that.

The magrider is fine as it is. Great fun to use (probably one of the best vehicles in any game ever). Use racer/max magburn and just have fun.

Sure, it's delicate and has a propensity to explode, but it's fun. Great fun.

No changes are needed. Stop asking for pointless changes.
    • Up x 22
  3. Candarian

this thing is no fun at all
    its bullet drop is terrible strafing usualy ends that u stuck somewhere not to mention u damge your own tank with it sometimes
    and in a 1 vs 1 fight u lose because of your crap dpm
  4. cruczi

If you're losing in 1 vs 1 fights with Magrider, you're shouldn't be taking those fights, obviously. Use your mobility to flank enemies so you get the first damage in, and use your magburner to escape from fights that are not favourable.
    • Up x 4
  5. ColonelChingles

The Magrider is already a terrific tank destroyer...

With an AP cannon VKPH of 13.6, it does better than the Vanguard (AP cannon VKPH of 12.7). It's only surpassed by the Prowler's AP cannon (VKPH of 15.8).

The Magrider AP cannon also has the best accuracy of all the AP cannons, bullet drop be darned. The Magrider AP cannon leads the pack at 47.5%, followed by the Vanguard at 42.6% and the Prowler at 38.5%.
    • Up x 1
  6. XXBLACKATTACKXX

Bullet Drop can be compensated by experience with the magrider, Bullet drop is almost no problem for me so long as Im not shooting at 500M+ with hills in the equation.

Also the Mag is not supposed to win a 1v1 fair fight. Its supposed to flank around and use terrine as cover, surprise attack the enemy then magburn to re position always giving your self the terrain advantage. You win by outmaneuvering and outsmarting your opponents not out-tanking them.

Mag needs no changes(other than its team killing abilities) it works and its super fun. This is coming from another guy to finish the mag directive so im pretty framilier with my swagrider.
  7. Candarian

in other words vs is only good in masses because of the crap items they have
    great balance
  8. Xasapis

To be fair, you can not convert all tank battles into ambush encounters. In fact, a Vanguard with stealth can be a great ambush tank, however, there is nothing the Magrider can do to become a great front line armor vehicle.
    I don't think that accuracy is much of a stat to look into, without looking into the range as well. The Magrider due to the bad cannon, has to close in and due to the other two tanks superior characteristcs that can fire successfully from further away. It's like comparing an SMG with a long range LMG and claim the SMG is a better gun overall, due to superior accuracy.
    • Up x 2
  9. Paqu

No, just no. You have less than 6 hours in a Magrider and I bet you have used that time driving it without a gunner and with default weapons. 6 hours is nowhere near to make an opinion about balance especially when you have propably faced bunch of experienced enemy tankers with highly upgraded tanks.

Fully manned Magrider with proper loadouts and some experience can deal some serious damage on the battlefield. Me and my friend run it without any support from other VS players all the time and we have been quite succesfull with it:

Sure you cant beat equally skilled and certed Vanguard or Prowler on a head on fight, but thats where you need to learn where the Magrider is good and where its bad. And then use its strenghts to beat those other tanks.
    • Up x 4
  10. gloowa

To anyone who says anythign about flanking in Magrider - i laugh @ your face and present following math for Magrider - Prowler scenario, where Magrider shoots Prowler's back and Prowler shoots Magrider's front.

Granted, it doesn't take secondaries into account, but if you slap Halberd on Prowler, it's still the same TTK.
    • Up x 1
  11. Jetlag

ftfy
  12. maxkeiser

This is probably a reflection of your skill/tactics, more than anything else.

You should pick your fights very carefully. Move in a group with other magriders. Keep at distance.
    • Up x 1
  13. gloowa

[meta: following is exaggeration designed to be funny]
    Rofl. 2 Magriders closer than 50m == 2 piles of debris.

14. Eirik the red

I am a freshman in PS2, so this is biased from that point of view. Magriders are mean ;<

For some reason they are all over, but other MBTs are far fewer. Why? MBT spawns are a bit rare. The NC MBT takes ages to get to the battlefield and is basicly a sitting duck crawling around in near running speed. Making the fastest MTB also a top tank buster will make the LBTs obsolete (well, more or less) given the Mags ability to get anywhere in a hurry.

Also: speed, power or armor. Cant have em all :D
  15. Xasapis

The fastest MBT is the Prowler. The Magrider is actually the slowest of the three, though it accelerates to it's maximum speed faster than the Vanguard. It can also strafe sideways.
  16. Eirik the red

That might be true for experienced players, and the numbers certainly says so. It might just be a perceived feeling I have and the fact that VS seems more skilled overall on my server.

In combat and across terrain it’s my experience that Magriders seems to maintain speed better off-road and the maneuverability seems to give an edge avoiding the biggest slowdowns. Thus in many situations, at least in the more rough continents like hossin, the Magrider feels like the faster option. (at least if you try to overtake them, or run away J)

17. Flag

You can compensate for bullet drop.
    But you can't compensate for slow shell velocity.
  18. Xasapis

Damaged vehicles generally tend to run slower when below a certain percentage (burning vehicles tend to crawl). Also the Magrider ability is a temporary speed boost, called the Magburn, which is a one second speed boost every 20 seconds (when fully certed). Also, as you mentioned, certain terrain can be navigated easier by Magriders. Though for Hossin in particular, I would say that it is a lot easier for a Magrider to get stuck in the cement strong vegetation, than any of the other MBTs.

As for numbers, it is a server thing. Generally speaking again, the Magriders synergise the worst with each other, since they tend to bump into each other, capsize each other and prevent one another from utilizing their mobility trait. Inexperienced Magrider or Sunderer drivers stick themselves next to other Magriders or behind them and basically kill them by deny them room to maneuver or escape. It is such a common occurrence, I tend to avoid clustered fights these days for that very reason. Vanguards don't have a problem, in fact, they can make a wall next to each other. Prowlers have both the firepower and the range to be more of an artillery unit than a tank, taking out enemy armor from much further distance than the enemy tanks can.

Some fun facts:
    • An anchored Prowler shooting a Magrider at the front will kill it faster than the Magrider shooting the Prowler at the back.
    • A Vanguard side armor is stronger than the Magrider's front armor. And that disregarding the shield.
    Generally speaking, all MBTs have their pros and cons. They definitely all get transformed into mean killing machines the more certs you put on them and obviously, smart gameplay overcomes some inherent weaknesses.

I would also suggest everyone to play the enemy factions once in a while. Sometimes it's an eye opener on what we consider OP or broken, when we visit the other side of the fence.
    • Up x 2
  19. The_Blazing

The Magrider is mostly fine, its only problems are a slight identity crysis (I can dodge enemy shells at long range but can't hit anything myself because of the huge drop on the main guns??) and the fact that while the other 2 MBTs are intuitive and newbie-friendly out-of-the-box, the Magrider has a steeper learning curve more similar to an ESF'. We could also use an ability that is not already present on 6 other vehicles.
  20. Schwak

They only people that think it needs buffs are the people that don't know how to use it.
    • Up x 4