[Suggestion] SOE, can you PLEASE start using your OWN forums?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BiggggBRIM, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allin

It is, becasue people nowdays display reversed intelligence.
    • Up x 2
  2. Utrooperx

[IMG]

Truth.
    • Up x 16
  3. Dudeman325420

The problem isn't that our posts here are being read or not, its that important game announcements are being made that are nowhere to be found on the game's own website or forum. Is it really so difficult for news related to in-game changes, server outages, events, and patches be posted on your own website?
    • Up x 1
  4. Shanther

Which 90% of is actually posted here as well. A lot of topics you see on Reddit are cross posts from twitter.
  5. Ronin Oni

So should the devs then be obedient to your demands that they use the official forums that they, and this is the best part, don't like much how you don't like some kind of food so don't go to a certain restaraunt?

Every argument you posed can be used by the devs as valid reason not to use the forums.

They don't want to. They don't have to, and your complaints or demands contrary would be making them follow someone else's wishes.
  6. iller

Fair enough, serious response along with reminder of deed deserves respect and acknowledgement too.
    It just feels .... I dunno ... a tad imbalanced, personnel wise.

Yes.... bearing in mind that communication overall is amazingly high for a AAA publisher on a game that was released 2 years ago.
    We recognize that. Some of us were only responding to the unfair generalizing from Reddit users that would pigeonhole us all in this discussion. That's a real problem. Everytime they repeat that mantra to feel better about themselves, they help reinforce some of the designer's decisions not to share that same level of access with Forumside. It's almost impossible to have a discussion about this where someone's not keeping score. And when there's No discussion at all, there's also no access.

Everyone knows the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
  7. Palbuddy

No Reddit here (never heared before about that kiddie stuff, was returning now to PS2 after one and a half year)
    No Twitter here (for what?)
    No Facebook till yet, I have to join in the future - but just for buisness

But I was playin in the past for free till yet, so I'm in a bad position to complain generally.

Nevertheless: Never seen a commercial Trademark gave up their own main forum/site.
    If I would be a paying costumer, I would be pi**ed off to the Moon and back too I guess.

Just my 2 cents.

Greetings, Palbuddy
  8. Joay

Its pretty much understandable why they dont use it. You're logged out after like 5 min of inactivity or so, and there is no option to stay logged in. Why is that anyway?
  9. iller

relates exceptionally well to the latest ep of Extra Credits where they were discussing the growing realization among many of us that most of these games in this model are not being designed for most of their "players", but rather only to cater with a laser focus on what the biggest spenders specifically want. It makes sense for supply-side economics since it's a LOT easier to please only a handful of people all of the time as opposed to all of the people, even half of the time. In order to adapt to the high turn-over rate of the f2p players, they're apparently relying exclusively on advertising & metrics instead of attempting to keep those players happy too.

Though this may not currently apply to SOE, infact they specifically gave Sony a passing or positive grade alongside a number of other studios they feel are "doing f2p right". Plus there's no way Higby and crew actually have time to background check every player that has a gripe. They'd have time for more than just twitter if that was the case. But it's also possible they could potentially bring that data up from metrics and try to see what is kill-streaking their subscribed players the most and make that a priority. It's hard to argue really if that's pandering, or just plain taking good care of your supporters by minimizing F.O.O.S which also would tend to benefit all of your more hardcore players who'm just happen to be a lot more active on the forums rather than twitter.

Reading twitter and youtube comments especially.... There's a good argument to be made there that giving more attention to the official forums is effectively giving the better players even more advantages. It's a proven fact that a higher percentage of many skill based games, have a higher concentration of skilled players on their forums vs a general sampling from in-game or many other social medias. And for some reason, those who check forums, tend to check back with the game pretty regularly and don't rage-quit the game forever as often as casuals tend to. IE: they don't have to even give us equal attention. We're not babies, are we??

/devil's advocate :confused:
  10. Allin

Thing is, they are not paying ME, I'm paying THEM and they are profit company that provides a service. If that does not change anything to you, it would seem that your money come from somewhere else than your own work. I have nothing against them using twitter and reddit, I have somethign against abandoning main game forum for the sake of social media buzz.

Not to mention people on the forums are the most loyal customers, staying with the game from very beggining, some of them older 30+ people like me, that don't like some other media. Those are the people who usually spend much more on the game - and you say to that people "..I.. no, you can't have it!". Where's logic in that?

It's not a friendly relation here, as much as I value their work and I love PS2 its THEIR JOB to take all their customers seriosuly and at least adress issues that are laid down for them. On the other hand you present #Yoloswag bahavior and "I can do what I want, whateva'" mentality. It's obvious wich one of those two has place in business, and wich one doesn't.
  11. LightningPro

Maybe we could not understand because we are Dinosaurs using an obsolete form of communication
    an official Forum. And maybe it`s easyier to use Twitter/Reddit/Facebook with a Tablet or Smart phone
    compared to a Forum? I don`t have both :( I must use Mobile Dinosaurphone from the last decade.
  12. Moz

How hard is it to:

Ctrl + C
    switch to forum
    Ctrl + V

+1 - I support this thread!
  13. Fluttyman-Miller

The voting thing is what's unhealthy about Reddit. If a poster is "famous" he'll get upvoted even if he's full of ****.
    Just because 50 people disagree with someone's post and downvote it doesn't mean the poster is wrong.

Reddit is for people who use stats.dasanfall. >>> they have way too much spare time.
    (stats don't matter on PS2 by the way, this isn't call of duty)
    • Up x 3
  14. Boomotang

If I want a burger, then I go to places that serve burgers. If I want information on PS2 developments, then I go to places where the devs are posting them.
  15. Boomotang

Much harder when the same words will get you in trouble at one place.
  16. DorianOmega

Your the one making this place more toxic dude with posts along the lines you've made here, with your objective BS that points the finger at people in a non productive way despite people making completely valid and non entitlement related points of wanting Developer communication on their official forum...

Social media shouldn't be the primary way of communicating with your player base when there is already an official means of doing so, this isn't an entitlement thing this is just a common sense thing, the fact you don't see this is rather surprising as your basically condoning something that could easily get someone fired from any other big company that claims the level of communication with its users that SOE does when in reality it does not as seen here on the forums, but your either ignoring this or are oblivious to this.

These forums really aren't that big to manage as seen with the recent forum section merging, all we want is the occasional nod of recognition from a dev to something or in detailed info posted here as well as social media sites, like FFS the Valkyrie had more criticism taken in and considered from social media then the Test Server Forums from here when the Valkyrie was still on test, that ALONE should tell you there is a legitimate problem here, if this is true in any other way SOE sure did fool me.

SOE should just delete these forums and redirect everyone over to reddit or twitter OR start giving a **** about these forums through actual direct communication with the player base within the forums, this is not a lot to ask for nor is it some unrealistic level of entitlement in asking for more communication from the devs on their own forums that isn't some half ***** thread post that just gets mostly ignored by the devs that posted it anyway....
    • Up x 5
  17. TommyXXL

that is the sweet irony, this forum does not exist for the game developers, i am sure only 1% of the content posted here was ever read by some official that works directly on the game,
    they prefer random comics, funny videos and light jokes that are always upvoted by the planetside2 reddit "elite" ..while the real problems from https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?forums/gameplay-bugs.64/ get NO answer.
    • Up x 1
  18. BiggggBRIM

Off-topic: Honey, is that you? The only person that refers to me as "adorable" is my girlfriend/soon-to-be-fiancee, and its usually after I buy her something. She just turned 24 today, so I got her this. http://www.michiganstatejewelry.com/Product/diamond-and-tsavorite-spartan-reales-pendant--STTGP.html That's at least good for two "adorables" five "sweeties" and one something-something I can't say on here.

On-topic: Being that these are the official forums, SOE employees ARE required to post on here. Here's the job description from Sony, and I made sure to highlight the important bits so you can find it easily:

Sony Online Entertainment
    Community Relations Manager
    Relevant Work Experience - 4+ Years
    Description: Duties will include proactive community outreach programs, social media, conducting research, writing articles, providing analytics and metrics, running contests and tournaments, assisting in forum moderation, and reporting community feedback. Drive meaningful community engagement on all platforms, internal and external, with emphasis on social media, videos, livestreaming and forums.

Also, no one is DEMANDING they stop posting on Twitter and Reddit. The community asked very politely, with a please, that SOE at least makes an EFFORT to post relative information on their OWN platform. This isn't about entitlement, its about common sense and courtesy. So pretty please, honey babycakes with sugar on top, stop acting like a child and arguing for the sake of arguing.
    • Up x 4
  19. Ash87

I really don't get this argument.

Getting information on this game isn't difficult. It's in the roadmap. If you want to check reddit, check reddit. It's not all that frequent that something that is first dropped on reddit, or exists soley on reddit, doesn't get spread to the forums eventually anyway. Further: Driving Meaningful Discussion is a hilarious statement.

I have never seen that happen on any game forum, anywhere, because people are horrible and caustic by nature. I mean, it's like you folks think that if we get everything ONLY HERE, so you don't have to go through the oh so strenuous process of typing in "reddit" on google (Christ, that is like what... 5 letters? They should give purple hearts away for that), that all toxicity and ******** will go away and we'll start typing and acting like greek philosophers, philophosizing the great game mysteries and reaching civil conclusions. Yeah... When people say stuff like this, it really makes me wonder how many of you actually have played games on your magical PC Box before.
    • Up x 1
  20. Leonard DeVir

I agree. Nobody says they should shun the other platforms, but they totally disengaged from the forums. If I stumble upon a badly moderated forum its usually a bad sign for company priorities and morale. It shows me that they dont really care about their official presentation nor their customers, who naturally try to contact them first through their official channels.

I said it in another thread - whats the point keeping official forums if the devs already use another forum? Close them and we all move to reddit/twitter/facebook, it saves bandwith, moderation and time.
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.