Developer Thread: QoL Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Sep 2, 2014.

1. iller

Since the designers are supposed to be reading this, can I start by giving them props with listing my old gripes that got fixed?
    We get so few chances to tell them what they're doing right
    FIXED ALREADY
    • Indar always had far more players "living" on it 24/7 than the other continents
    • Long range Scopes suffered huge FPS loss, up to -20 frames in fights on some hardware configs.
    • f2p players used to "earn" less than chinese wages when 1000 certs were compared directly to 700 station cash
    • Galaxies served little purpose and were only used by bad wanna-be commanders who just annoyed pubbers
    • Infiltrators couldn't even infiltrate medium fights, much less huge ones.
    • ESF's were the alpha-predator and a number of pilots were blatant packet-spoofers & botters.
    • Magrider was grossly "Meta" so you rarely saw a mix of VS Flashes, lightnings & Harassers pulled.
    QOL Needing fixed:
    1. Players can continue to redeploy from anywhere on the map to "Defend" a contested hex even after a 45% or 50% defending population has been reached. This eventually turns every even-matched fight into a lopsided Farm and doesn't so much favor "defense" as it just favors aimless drifters who procrastinate and yet still win through zerging only. IMO: Overwhelming pop should only happen when people are "strategically aware" & used actual transportation to reach that hex.
    2. You're slowly addressing and smoothing out broken T.T.K. which is excellent, but it's still too "fast" in QCQ Infantry vs. Infantry fights where one player has a fully automatic rifle or SMG with low bloom that is also super-effective at longer ranges too. The main issue isn't so much body shots, but headshots that are just too easy to get while hip-firing. These automatics that are so accurate at longer ranges, should not have nearly the same headshot bonus damage that higher skill weapons have. They are too versatile and too easy to get headshots with at every single range.
    3. Infiltrator still has no unique role, it needs one that's tied directly to the upcoming resource changes & objectives, such as supply-line denial like they used to have in PS1.
  2. Alarox

Feature: Add the ability to make a small note about a player in your friends list.

Reason: It gets difficult to manage and remember exactly who certain people are or specific things about them. Was this the guy that gunned my tank two weeks ago? Or was he that enemy pilot I had a lot of fun fighting? Wait, maybe he was someone's alt.
    • Up x 9
  3. DrPapaPenguin

I'd like auto-block squad invites, the timer that shows when your corpse despawns and the ability to change vehicle loadouts without respawning the vehicle.
  4. Lasers

Feature: Check-list for which xp events that show up in the middle of the screen, and if they should prompt the xp sound.

Reason: Playing support classes, especially the engineer and placing an ams sunderer at a good position in a large fight will net you alot of small xp events from sunderer spawns, ammo pack uses and repairs. It would be nice if you could chose to ignore the "+10xp resupply" messages with the slightly annoying sound that you will get a constant stream of. After 10-15 min in a fight like that you will basicly become brainwashed and hear the xp sound for a couple of hours, even after you log off.
  5. Misturugi

1: Option to increase FoV (to 90 atleast)

2: Toggle option two switch between just primary & secondary weapons

3: Option to move mini map where you want to on the screen

4: Add controller support (mainly for flying)

5: Add the PS4 GUI as option for the pc (full controller support for pc)
  6. TheBloodEagle

I think there are still SOOO MANY small immersive qualities missing.

But regarding UI, I hate all the icon clutter.
  7. alagimuzs

Feature : better indication when a friendly shot you

Reason : For now when you are shoot by a friendly, your character say something. That's cool but it doesn't trigger all the time. A simplier solution would be to make the red bar when you're hit by something blue, or faction-specific, or as the colors you chose in the options.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Feature : better indication for grenades

Reason : This one is very personnal, but I think that the indicator for a grenade thrown near you is bad/not clear. You can for example add a compass in the center of the screen to indicate the location of the grenade (but it can be complicated if they are more than one grenade to indicate).
    Or stay with the blinking red dot but bigger and not blinking.
  8. AnuErebus

Feature/Bug: Make it so the critical hit marker only shows when you get a headshot.

Reason: Right now it's just confusing since it uses a static damage threshold to display a "critical" hit. With things like the semi-auto rifles or bolt-actions you're always getting critical hits whereas things like the SMGs often won't show critical even if you're hitting a person in the head. It'd help players understand how they're aiming a lot better if there was a consistent indicator for headshots.

Alternatively provide a different visual indicator that you just scored a headshot that works with the current system.
  9. Hackomatique

Regarding this:
    I think it's already too easy to use an external view to spot infantry, and too easy to get direct hits on infantry with tank main guns. I think those things are very un-tank-like and are what are requiring other un-tank-like game balance settings, such as the recent nerf to tank gun splash damage, and the crazy effectiveness of C4 versus tanks. What makes a tank a tank is being very hard to kill, having a very destructive huge cannon, and having limited gun speed, limited gun accuracy, and very limited visibility. That's the nature of a tank. But the artificial external view, and the super-fast-and-accurate turret speed and accuracy, are un-tank-like and extremely strong abilities. So my (non-QoL) request would be:

Feature: Make tanks more tank-like by greatly slowing turret speed and ability to bullseye infantry, and slowing external view, but un-nerf main gun splash damage, and make MBT's more resistant to C4.
    Reason:Tanks should be tank-like, not nerfed closer to infantry an MAXes.
  10. thewst

Feature: Custom Red Dot´s

Beeing able to change the red dot could bee a win for SOE cause they could sell them with few work put into it because its a small feature and pretty easy to realise (imo) and for the players because they could be able to customize their weapon further(i added a link and some pics there)

Forum Link: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/custom-red-dot´s.200199/
  11. OldMaster80

Toggle on/off implants.

Make implants cost more or make rechargers drop less often but please make implants burn energy only if needed. Passive implants should consume battery only ehen they do their job.

Current system requires to equip/unequip implant all day in order to save energy. It's so annoying I eventually quit using implants.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ash87

Feature/Bug: Toggle Implants on and off

Reason: I Can't use the system as it is now. Because of the way I am wired, passive things that constantly drain are a Huge waste of resource to me. I always horde stuff like that, on the off chance I'll need it later. Because of this, I never use it. The game is too fast paced to plan for that kind of thing, so I just Don't use implants.

Link: Good Point 1, Good Point 2

Feature/Bug: Reliable IG Coms

Reason: I have had Numerous times when I logged on, got a platoon of pubs, started throwing out orders... and then I died, or crashed, or pressed tab, or moved slightly to the left, or switched weapons... and then my IG VC just DIED. I can't get people onto teamspeak reliably who don't already play with me, it's 1 in 1,000 who join TS when you tell them to. Thus, I can't give orders to people and it makes the whole thing more difficult overall.

Link: I will have to record my next play session, but of my last 3 sessions played, squad chat broke in 2 of them.
    • Up x 2
  13. PWGuy93

Feature/Bug: Map and Mini Map indicators not displaying with consistency

Reason: Sometimes the icons for vehicles and players show, some times they don't. Could be right next to a vehicle or player and it won't show on the map or minimap. This has been causing numerous traffic accidents and player deaths.

Reason: Could be right next to a capture point and the points [A] don't even show on the map.

Reason: Generator Icons sometimes show false positives
    Link:
    Feature/Bug: Continent Locking exacerbates overpopulation issues
    Reason: When multiple continents get locked this forces overpopulation into fewer continents exacerbating population imbalance. Before continent locking overpopulation while still being an issue was dispersed over more continent space easing the strain of overpopulation, now it creates untenable conditions.

Have seen huge bonuses for being underpop and staying in the game to have the guaranteed loss to overpopulation but that doesn't make it enjoyable, fun or even keep me logged in the game, it actually creates a unfavorable memory of PS2.
    Link:
  14. Stellus

Fix region chat once and for all.
  15. TripleVasectomy

The thing that annoys me the most about the UI is the way notifications are handled. Usually you are in combat when they pop up, so you don't have the time to hit accept or refuse. If you miss the note, it minimizes into an annoying blinking exclamation point that never goes away. You then have to open the full UI menu to see notifications and accept or refuse them from the menu buttons. This is a problem in vehicles because you get a notification every single time you hit a seat change hotkey and someone else is in that seat. One for requesting, one for being queried. Normally this is an accident; either you didn't see the seat was occupied and you're hopping between guns in combat, or someone jumped into the vehicle the instant you hit the key. If you're using the gun and someone is trying to steal your spot it is annoying. If you're in a sunderer defending the spawn point with a weapon and the owner wants to hop on that gun, you feel like a jerk for being in his spot. If you hit the key by accident you feel bad for annoying someone else with the prompt. Either way you'll get two irritating windows as a result.

This is also extremely unintuitive for jumping to other continents from the redeploy screen. You will not get an onscreen yes/no prompt to warp, you will get the blinking punctuation box and be forced to navigate to the social windows. If you were waiting in a queue for 15 minutes and died, you will not see the warp prompt. If you attempt to spawn on another continent at a new squad deploy point and there is a queue, you will not be informed of the queue; you will get no response from the UI at all.

Ticking the 'do not show warp confirmation' only eliminates the second redundant prompt. If I'm sitting in a queue and goofing off somewhere on the map, I just want to be warped when my wait is over. "Deny all seat switch requests" would also be a welcome feature.
  16. scoobmx

Feature/Bug: Inverted control toggle for TV-guided missiles

Reason: I'd like the ability to use non-inverted controls to fire the Phoenix so that it is consistent with other guided weapons like the AV turret, while still using inverted controls to fly aircraft.

Link: No link
  17. Cest7

Could you make the F1-6 and Numbers 1-7 work in the death screen to quickly change classes without having to click the "Change Classes (M)" button?
  18. RHINO_Mk.II

Feature:
    New ironsights on dumbfire rocket launchers
    Reason:
    The current sights obscure the target if you need to compensate for drop. The sights being used are designed for weapons with insignificant drop. I know many sights are currently getting an artwork pass, but don't think this is on the list although it should be. Ideal sights would have a large vertical aimpoint with markers corresponding to drop at various distances.
    Link:
    Image Example

Feature:
    Keyboard hotkeys for vehicle and aircraft terminals
    Reason:
    Infantry terminals currently have this functionality that allows you to use the number keys and function keys on your keyboard to quickly switch classes and loadouts. This leads me to believe that giving vehicle and air terminals similar functionality would not be overly difficult, and would make purchasing vehicles much smoother, leading to fewer deaths by snipers while staring into vehicle terminals.
    Link:
    N/A
    • Up x 4
  19. Colonelveers12

Feature: Valkyrie Rumble Seat Guns.

Reason: C'mon everyone wants to have the machineguns on Valkyrie. Currently, even with the changes made tommorow, the valkyrie is just not something that can be used in combat. Personally i don't have a problem with it, cause it's a galaxy for small squad outfits, which I love btw : D. Maybe a possible solution would be allowing people to buy rumble seat guns. These would obviously have to be limited in some way. I had in mind: Kobalts, Furies, and maybe a one cannon ranger variant for aa? The rumble seat guns would only be for seats 3 and 4, and the gunners could only use the guns, so they can't repair if they are engineers. Just something to make the Valk a little bit more deadly.

Feature: Valkyire Rumble Seat Shields.

Reason: Players in rumble seats get shot out consistently, although with the new additions being brought in, I don't know if that will help the problem, or keep it the same. So maybe put a shield, similar to the deploy shield in design (as in how it looks, maybe how it works too, don't know if that would be too "OP" or not), in defense, or if that doesn't work in passive systems.
    • Up x 2
  20. RHINO_Mk.II

Feature:
    Accessible weapon statistics in the client
    Reason:
    Currently many extremely important infantry weapon statistics are not available in game. In order for a player to make an informed purchase decision, particularly when spending real cash, they should have access to all relevant information about the weapon. Notable missing numbers are ADS movespeed modifier, first shot recoil modifier, vertical recoil per shot, and horizontal recoil per shot. These numbers are only available thanks to members of the community data-mining them from game files and posting the results online.
    Link:
    Weapon statistics online spreadsheet

Feature:
    Accessible weapon attachment statistics in the client
    Reason:
    Currently there is no way to tell how much many weapon attachments will change the stats of infantry weapons. The descriptions are either vague or qualitative, not quantitative. At a minimum, attachment statistics should provide real numbers for their effects. Ideally, you would be able to preview the stats of a weapon with attachments equipped in various slots and compare them against the base weapon or other weapons with attachments. These numbers are only available thanks to members of the community data-mining them from game files and posting the results online.
    Link:
    Weapon attachment online spreadsheet
    Weapon attachment effect summary thread

Feature:
    Accessible damage resistance, vehicle HP, and vehicle armor statistics in the client
    Reason:
    Currently there is no way to tell how much many hits from a certain weapon will take to destroy a certain vehicle. In particular, some weapons such as the lancer and phoenix have very low damage values that are multiplied many times against vehicles. This is not clear to customers trying to make purchase decisions, particularly when spending real cash. These numbers are only available thanks to members of the community data-mining them from game files and posting the results online.
    Link:
    Vehicle armor and damage resistance spreadsheet

Feature:
    Balance pass on infantry weapon velocities and HVA
    Reason:
    Currently many infantry weapons have bullet velocities that are contrary to their intended role. This applies to all factions: many long range weapons have slower than average velocities, and short range weapons have normal or better than average velocities. In addition, High Velocity Ammo has a pitiful effect on bullet velocity on all but a few weapons, and certain weapons gain no bullet velocity at all or 2 m/s. Bullet velocities should be updated to reflect each weapon's intended role and HVA should be revisited to provide a real increase in killing power at range (currently the difference in lead time is negligable, while the vertical recoil penalty is not)
    Link:
    Discussion and analysis of HVA benefits and bullet velocities
    • Up x 5