Warning: Your Directives Aren't Safe

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Durendal, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Champagon

You guys are taking this directive thing WAYYYYYY to seriously. This is why i am against achievements in games. People get too uptight and serious about it. So frustrating
    • Up x 2
  2. Maljas23

Not even remotely relevant to the point of this thread. Congrats that you don't care about this issue. Luckily, a lot of people do care.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pingonaut

You really don't get it. Directives is a big part of the game because it was implemented to be such. That's like saying Valkyrie isn't a big part of the game, and it is/will be. It's a goal that people work for and their long spent time (seriously, dozens of hours focusing on directive goals) are lost. You cannot tell me that this is not a problem. Just because you don't focus on directives doesn't mean others shouldn't. It's not all about your personal opinion.
  4. Champagon

The point of this thread are that directives aren't being saved/backed up properly IE why everyone keeps loosing them. The fact of the matter that these threads get posted so often proves my point that you guys are taking directives too seriously. I really hope they get removed. Freaking ridiculous
  5. Regpuppy

Then don't read the topics that will obviously have this kind of talk. Just because you don't enjoy that particular part of Planetside 2's gameplay, does not mean that others don't or can't do so themselves.

People are rightfully upset about losing progress. Like most gamers would be if their game crashed without saving on a single player game, especially if they just beat "that impossible level" they've been working on for a long time. Even more so if it was the game itself crashing and through no fault of their own.
    • Up x 1
  6. Champagon

The point i am trying to make is that you guys are taking achievements too seriously. I understand that it isn't their faults but some of you people are making this a massive deal ya know?

"Don't read the forums": That is not a fair answer
  7. Maljas23

If you don't care about this problem, good for you. Just because you say we are "taking directives too seriously" doesn't make that law for everyone else. I could easily say that you're not taking directives seriously enough.

However, the point is, people are losing progress on something they've spent time on. The OP is warning everyone that it is still happening and has recently happened to a large number of people. If you don't care about this problem, please don't read the thread, don't post in the thread, and don't try to undermine whats important to other people.

Seriously man? It's not rocket science. Or, maybe it is, and I'm just a genius.
    • Up x 3
  8. Regpuppy

I'm not saying don't read the forums. I'm saying that it's nonsensical to find a topic that you apparently don't care much about just to say "Why so serious?"

People are taking this "seriously" because they've spent time and effort towards completing it. It is human nature to feel annoyed when your progress is ruined/erased. Especially through no fault of your own. Doesn't matter if they're working on a clay model and some derp squashes it or because a bug in a game wipes out your stats. Progress is progress and people get upset when said progress is ruined.
    • Up x 1
  9. Champagon

Here is some rocket science for you. How and why people care this deeply about achievements in a video game.....

And to add to what i said originally. No i do NOT care about directives and neither should you. It obviously isn't ready for prime time yet so why even worry about a broken game feature that has no effect on actual gameplay.

That's like complaining that chat font is in comic sans....
  10. Maljas23

Don't care about the reasons. Has nothing to do with anything. Ill care about my directives because I want to. I already asked you once to stop trying undermine importance, but it seems you don't care about that either.

Directive weapons = actual game play impact, so you're wrong on all accounts there... :)
    • Up x 1
  11. Champagon

Would you like it better if they just put "directive weps" on the depot? Because that is what is more than likely to happen
  12. LT_Latency

They should test their systems correctly before launching something like this.
    • Up x 1
  13. gibstorm

Would you be happy if you logged in and you were level 0??

Some peoples time is valuable and they already put in weeks of work towards these items to have it wiped out, sort of sucks. Losing your customers data and having no way to fix it.....IS NOT OK.
    • Up x 1
  14. Champagon

I also work in IT, however this is game development, yes customer data is also included in this. However it is not as if the customers (us) lost BR ranks or certs/real money weapons. They lost "time" trying to get specialty weapons.

Time can't be given back, and customer behavior as you should know, is damn near impossible to change. Meaning, that customers are aware that directives right now are an issue. yet they keep trying to complete them, subsequently their stats get deleted and they turn to the forums and complain about their lost "time"

Yes data was lost, but to be blatantly honest, directive data is irrelevant to character progress. There are plenty of things SOE can do to resolve this however. I will post it below

• Remove Directives: Remove the system and place items on the depot until system is reworked
    • Grant Certs: Grant certs to those that lost directives, even though certs were gained in the process
    • Rework achievement system: Have an achievement system that rewards finding a POI (place of interest/easter egg locations) Include titles and the sort, something more fun/lore worthy
  15. Regpuppy

Horrid analogy.

Chat font being in comic sans would be a subjective issue. It still functions just fine and people can still read it. Directive progress resetting is preventing said feature from functioning properly. Which is an objective issue, because it is not working as stated or intended.

A more accurate analogy would be if text chat did not function or translated everything to gibberish Chinese characters. There are a lot of people who use some form of voice chat or just don't like to communicate at all, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

Just because you may not like the severity of peoples annoyance towards the subject and may not find the feature all that important. It is still a broken feature that should be fixed and people are making their concerns about the issue known.
    • Up x 2
  16. gibstorm

Where was it posted to the game server this would happen?? They have actually told us it was fixed a few times.

What they can do, is test their systems correctly and make sure they have a backup plan in case something goes wrong. losing a day of work is one things weeks is another.

A real company would be sued and their customer would never work with them again if you did this on a live server.
  17. Pingonaut

Do you hear yourself? "I don't care about this and neither should you." Well gee, thank you very much for deciding my likes and dislikes. It sure saved me a lot of time.

Directives clearly weren't ready for release when they came out, but they're out now. They give players who have grown tired of the lack of meta-game a goal to work toward. The majority of the people doing directives don't want certs or XP, because they have no need for them! Your personal view of what people should and shouldn't care about doesn't have any effect on the world, especially when you have such a high and almighty view of it, believe it or not.
    • Up x 2
  18. Champagon

It may have been mentioned they were fixed, however shortly after it was reported that it wasn't fixed. During this time, knowing it wasn't fixed the masses still attempted to try to complete directives. Knowing that there was a risk of deletion
  19. gibstorm

Who takes that?? You shouldn't have to be constantly monitor the forums to see if working or not. I found out when mine went back to 0.

I don't go.....oh i better check the forums to make sure the game actually works, today. Is that how your company does businesses?? Cause that is pretty sad.
    • Up x 1
  20. Champagon

My company? I don't work at SOE :D