Why not show the Tr and VS in more positive light?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RemingtonV, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Makora

And you're basing this "TR evil all day erry day!" on a mismatched piece of "lore" that got it's own dates wrong, the date of the meeting that this vid of shown takes place AFTER the Connery ship blew up. So either the "writer" had a brain far that slipped through any sort of quality control, or the "lore" we have is a mismatched junkpile of randomly scribbled notepad text made to pad up the news feed passed off as "lore".

But I would also argue the validity of that recording. Simply because the "scared secretary" showed up with a damn FRAG GRENADE and a grin when she died. She seemed pretty damn scared for her life when she got there. But to get shot and die by a frag grenade and GRIN? My suspicion senses are tingling.
    Also, we don't know any of that! The recording was either destroyed in the resulting blast (thus all evidence lost and the only reason YOU know this piece of alleged fact is simply because tv tropes) or somehow survived but was never circulated in the public, because we would of seen mention of it.
    Basically, right now the lore does nothing BUT show the TR on Auraxis as the bad guy with little to no redeeming qualities. And thus the NC, simply by the virtue of EXISTING becomes the good guys because we have little to nothing to say otherwise but some notions that "oh they are corporate run! And corporations are evil!" What, and everything else since the 1800's wasn't run by large private enterprises?
    VS is the "other" here. And could best be considered "neutral". But that also is simply by the virtue of NOT being NC or TR.

Whatever "lore" this game has needs to get some sort of an overhaul by the design team simply to touch up on some aspects and even to give the world more polish. Right now I honestly can't consider the lore we have to be... lore. We have very little information about the life after land-fall to Auraxis leading up to the war. That's 200 years of time lost.
  2. Malcmodnar

I'm seeing surprisingly little support for the (glorious and enlightened) Vanu Sovereignty here. Let me fix that (with the qualifier that I'm not incredibly well versed in Planetside lore).

Since the dawn of human history, our species has been plagued by imperfection. War, disease, ignorance... all these things have blinded us, bound our potential. How many revolutionary inventions have been lost because their would-be creator died young? How many centuries of advancement have fallen by the wayside as libraries are burned in the fires of war? How much farther could humanity have come were we all just a little more far-sighted?

This thing we treasure, our 'humanity,' is not some precious gift. It is weakness, pure and simple. Humans are impulsive, irrational, foolish creatures, so caught up in our own narrow viewpoints that we cannot look towards the future. Our technological progress is limited to stumbling blindly in the dark, with breakthroughs born only of sheer luck and the rare speck of brilliance.

Then, with the colonization of Auraxis, that changed. Suddenly, humanity uncovered a treasure trove of knowledge - technology of a civilization so far advanced that they transcended their physical forms (how else can one explain the sudden disappearance of an entire species?). The founding members of the Vanu Sovereignty saw the potential this technology offered, and with only a few months of effort, managed to cure death itself.

Imagine the potential! If we could overcome such a titanic obstacle with only the barest glimpse of the Vanu's technological wisdom, what could we do if we studied it further? Their technology offers a chance to overcome the limitations of humanity, to transcend our physical forms and become something more. The founders of the Sovereignty saw this... and so did the Terran leadership. But where their scientists and intellectuals saw potential, the politicians saw the possibility of change, of the unknown... and they were afraid. The bureaucrats of the so-called Republic sought to hoard the technology, to keep it from leaving their control so that they could control mankind's destiny.

That is why their greatest minds left them - because they knew this technology was too great a power to be contained. The technology of the Vanu will allow humans to transcend their humanity, to be more powerful, more intelligent, and, of course, immortal. The Terrans would smother this technology to ensure their rule. The New Conglomerate would bury it, because they fear improving the mind may infringe on their precious freedoms. And so the Sovereignty was founded, to bring the wisdom of the Vanu to mankind. To offer hope for a brighter future, one where we need not fear death, or war, or the mistakes of our fellows.

That is what the Sovereignty fights for - hope. And if the power-mad Terrans or the fools of the Conglomerate stand in our way, they will be eliminated. Because the Vanu are our only chance for a better tomorrow... and the Sovereignty will let nothing stand in our way.

Evolve or perish.
  3. Abomablenoman

The VS just want to science and share it with you.

What I think would be great to see is a loading screen showing the VS, not in battle but in a lab somewhere working on Science Stuff! (tm).

It probably ain't gonna happen, but I think it would be chuckle worthy if everytime you logged in, you saw a heavy assault holding test tubes and wearing a lab coat over his armor/ overshield.
  4. MarkAntony

because TR and VS are pure evil. Live free in the NC.
  5. Kalendric

Thought crime, is crime. Do not accept it. Demand genuine republican informercials and representation from your local Commissar.

Remember, if you stop hating the enemies of true humanity for even a minute the terrorists win.
  6. Ronin Oni

No thanks, we don't want the newbian scrubs.

Let them all get wiled by the ridiculous NC propoganda everywhere and let the experienced players run away from the TK fest to TR and VS ;)
  7. FocusLight

There is no *NEED* to argue when the evidence is perfectly clear and available for all to see.

You were not arguing anything at all either. You simply went out and said the NC are the good guys, and based that on pro-NC in-universe propaganda that wipes away any and all blame or negative aspects of the faction, and in the next post, you go and literally state right out that the NC *ARE* the "Good guys" when the lore we have make it as clear as it can that this is not so, that all factions are shades of grey.

There is nothing to argue. You claim your personal opinion is fact in spite of all the evidence, and I ridiculed you for it.
  8. Lamat

The idea is to sell your faction to new player. This is an action based FPS game.

Could you imagine if VS didn’t have any weapons and could only achieve a science based victory by solving puzzles in a lab while NC and TR try to bust in and shoot them all before they finish? LOL
  9. TheKhopesh

I know, and I agree that this is far from the whole story, just one side of it.

I was saying this in response to the below statement that you wrote:
    That sentence in particular prompted my affirming that he had not fabricated it. And while he did not cite his source, it was exceptionally easy to locate.
  10. Dregan

I was mainly miffed about him starting to shred the sources of another person that was willing to give said sources, while not providing sources of his own for his claims.
  11. a-koo-chee-moya

Well, NC isn't that much better as they simply rebelled because TR was implementing a command economy, taking away all the big corporations $$$. At least Vanu was trying to better the human race.
  12. LT_Latency

TR are the good guys.......Because they are going to win.

Winners decide who was right.
  13. MasterCheef

they can get a few SC from me for custom TR themed loading screen and UI graphics.
  14. miraculousmouse

We all know that a system of being rewarded for your hard work > being rewarded for being a lazy bum or a murderer like in certain European countries. Have you seen the "jail cell" they keep Breivik in?
  15. Who Garou

My post is related to my experience in the game.

*shakes fist at the TR*
  16. Axehilt

TRAP-wielding Light Assault reported.
    • Up x 1
  17. DatVanuMan

That was perfect, man:p
    Lulz for the iPad-thingie.
  18. DatVanuMan

Wouldn't mind seeing that, m8. Would be quite the interesting spectacle, if I may say so myself:)
  19. SinerAthin

Well, there have been people trying to improve the human race in the past... yet they weren't so popular, lol xD
  20. TheMish

At this point I've come down to the NC being morally, the worst possible faction. You are fighting, killing, and dying for corporate fat cats, nothing more.

Here's the problem, the TR and VS are equally good until you come to this one issue.

Are the VS members, independent? Are they unique individuals? Or are they the borg?

I can understand the undying loyalty and appreciation of an insanely advanced civilization giving us humans technology, and if I was in this situation irl, I would be in the Sovereignty, but two things concern me.

And that is, that in faction description, it says the VS are calm and passionless in battle, which can come from them removing fear from themselves, on top of being immortal.

But then there's also how they, at least in game, have this undying loyalty to some figure.

And what I fear is, that the VS may be the most caring, but they could be like the borg from Star Strek. No one is an independent mind, they're all one mind.

You can think of it like the Skitters and humans from the show Falling Skies. They just...obey, but they aren't "there"

That's something the devs would have to answer, or if somebody finds a contradiction to that in the lore.

If they aren't the borg, then the VS is the best choice morally, if they are the Borg, then the TR is the best choice.