Anti-Vehicle NS sniper rifle

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by CARunner, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Ransurian

Infiltrators don't need any AV equipment at all. Pull a few tanks in a combat scenario in which the opposing force is roughly evenly numbered to your faction to find out why.
  2. Linheru

If you want to be an AV infil, simply pull a wraith flash with Fury. Problem solved.
  3. Scudmungus

I've found Stalking into the tank line - especially now that there's so many of them - presents us with the unique opportunity to drop a 2 man tank crew as they're repairing. You can even sit on the tank and wait for them to come scuttling back (or sit on a tank while they're pulling the 'brave tanker spawn spam' routine.) Of course, the tight ones on coms are tricky and most the time you'll kill the gunner or driver solely, but even coordinated outfit driver/gunners seem to fall to the temptation of 'going Rambo and dropping the Ini' more often than not.

There's something about taking out a magrider crew and watching the thing sloooowly slide down a hill that fills my little Infi's heart with glee.

So aye, a well positioned Infi - with Stalker mind and a decent secondary - can cause some appreciable chaos to vehicle tank lines.

Also, you feel like Rambo.

Of course, saying this, I would enjoy seeing a 2 second 'enter vehicle' delay.....
    • Up x 1
  4. Halkesh

Anti armor sniper rifle ?
    It already exist, it's called "Lancer".

If you aren't VS, then use Prowler or AR Carnage / ShotgunMAX.
  5. MisterSlim

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of anti-material sniper rifle. Of course a round that could be fired by a nigh-unseeable target would be OP if it did insane damage. In my opinion, it should have an average affect on armor. Enough to be worth aiming at them, but not enough to wipe out a Lightning before it has the chance to turn around. It should also not be super lethal to infantry, totally cool with a 2-bodyshot 1-headshot bolt action standard. I think to compensate for the usefulness against armor, the velocity should be lowered and bullet drop increased quite a bit. But that's only my two cents.
  6. MisterSlim

The only reason I'd like to see an anti-material sniper is because we cloakers are the only faction that is totally useless when it comes to armor. All fine and good that we can sneak into a base, but we can do nothing but yell about the armor once we find it. If only heavies or only heavies/engis could damage armor, that'd be a different story. But it just seems a bit odd that all other factions can do something about it while we cloakers cannot.
  7. Nurath

No thanks, sorry.

Firstly a 1-hit kill on infantry and does damage to vehicles? There is no downside there.
    Secondly it'd just mean that hill-camping scope-heroes are in even more abundance, and vehicles can't move out into the open or make effective return fire. At least with current AV weapons there's some element of risk for the user in that to use them they're often within range of the enemies guns to.

It'd turn PS into Sniperside and that's boring.
  8. SevenTwo

That's the trade-off for being able to turn almost invisible.

If you *must* have a solution for Infiltrator AV damaging capability, there could maybe be a low-yield AV sticky mine, which could be stuck to vehicles from regular C4 throwing distance.

Each Infiltrator could then probably carry up to two in the Utility slot, each doing half the damage of a regular AV mine, but no more than that. This would make Proximity Radar the basic counter to getting Infiltrator mined and it'd require the teamwork of two infiltrators to take a vehicle down - anything else would cause people to stop bothering with pulling vehicles, as there'd be no realistic counter to Infiltrator AV.

Either that or purchase and equip the Crossbow secondary with Explosive darts.

Nobody likes their vehicles getting destroyed by things they can't see - that's the main problem with the AV turret and the main complaint about the Lancer. Making another way in which this can happen wouldn't be healthy for the overall gameplay, as vehicle use would become even more frustrating.
  9. Frigidman

I play sniper, and I do not approve of this idea.

Our defense against vehicles, is our cloak, and hiding abilities. We infiltrate, not omg-snipe-tanks-to-death... geezus.
    • Up x 1
  10. MisterSlim

I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't be able to wipe out a tank from 300m away. I can even agree that we shouldn't be able to do much against armor as a whole. But seeing as EVERY other class can absolutely ravage armor (even medics get c4), I feel like it should be equalized a bit. Afterall, between C4, antitank mines/nades, and the MANA launcher, it seems only fair that cloakers should be less-than-totally-useless when it comes to armor.

It'd be totally different, in my opinion, if multiple classes were feeble against armor. Saying "Anti armor isn't a cloaker's job" is true, but what makes it a medic's job? I just think a little bit of refining or equalization should happen.
  11. void666

Infiltrators shouldn't have the ability to deal direct damage to vehicles but should be able to mess with them a little.

Maybe a tracer dart like the one in bad company 2. It could mark the vehicle so lock on RLs could fire even if the target is not in the line of sight. Or it could be just an auto spot dart. It sticks to the target and everyone in the region will know where it is for x amount of minutes.

Another option is a hacking tool. You can't steal the vehicle. Instead you lock it. Tanker can't move or shoot for x seconds. Or they can still move and shoot but not as effectively.
  12. Epicstrat

Ok, with the over abundance of tanks in the most recent patch I think it would be fair to give the infiltrator a AV option. Still disagree with an AV sniper because it will scale poorly when you group 10 guys together and go around one shoting tanks at render range.

I would suggest vehicle hacking. Requires target to be stationary, makes it effective against tanks that are camping spawn room. Also exposes you for a decent amount of time.

Alternatively, give infiltrators a modified C4. It would function like normal C4, except it is not triggered by the player but instead starts a timer, at the end of which it will explode. Timer would have an audible beeping and any class can diffuse it. It would take a few seconds to arm the explosive. Maybe have it deal slightly less damage so it sets tanks on fire in stead of destroying them.
  13. CuteBeaver

Omg EpicStrat Beepy Bomb Is so Adorable!

14. Jackplays17

YES. No infintry kill tho. 100infantry dmg/shot
  15. _itg

Hehe, I would have so much fun sticking these to lone tanks and then knifing the driver when he got out to diffuse them. Of course, the counter is to drive away before diffusing the bombs, but it would take people a little while to figure that out. The tanker community would seriously flip out if this were ever implemented, though.
  16. Takara

You can when every peasant can pull an HA for free :p Well i agree to a point with what you are saying. It is still silly to me that Medics get c4 for the same reason I think it is silly for an Infil to get AV rifle :p It isn't their job.
  17. Nasher

Sure, but you should have to sacrifice cloak and sniper rifle to be able to carry it. Sniper rifle AND cloak is already OP enough vs infantry already,
  18. Candarian

change your pistol to the crossbow(with he bolts) and u have an av-weapon at your infiltrator
    one tank need 15+ hits but u can do it
    only thing that would be nice is 1 av- mine
    why one?
    damage a tank so the driver have come out to rep it
    sniper is an anti infantry class after all
  19. AngersRevenge

I have been asking for this for a while. So instead SOE gave use the x-bow with explosive bolts. Really SOE? I wouldn't recommend it be OHK to infantry unless head shot of course.
  20. Merakov

Special Ammo would easily solve this problem honestly.
    We can change to this ammo as if changing a fire mode
    We can carry only five bullets (one magazine) of this Ammo (stats up to devs to decide)
    Flak armor will reduce the dmg of these bullets for infantry and Max Units
    Bullets will count same as nades and mines and take Nanites to resuplay (thus we dont become HA on a engi pack spammin rockets)