Flare VE6

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Gamingroach, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Gamingroach

I've been using this weapon last night and I'm having trouble getting used to it for mid range engagements ( about 30 - 40+ meters). Coming from an NC main, I feel this weapon first shot recoil is too high compared to that of the EM6, Gauss SAW S and TMG-50. The spread pattern is very erratic even in short burst that the 3.4 sights are almost useless, I'm forced to stick with a 1x and 2x reflex sight...Otherwise I normally run with an Orion and Pulsar LSW.

I'm wondering what are other player loadouts with this weapon and suggested tips to help improve usage of this somewhat beast of a weapon.

Thanks in advance.
  2. cruczi

Flare's FSR is the same as that of EM6. Gauss Saw S is a bit lower, TMG-50 lower still.

What makes Flare worse than the others though is higher horizontal recoil. E.g. although Flare is identical with Gauss Saw S in most respects, horizontal recoil with grip is 0.15 compared to GSS's 0.12. GSS has access to advanced grip - TMG-50 and EM6 have the same base recoil but access only to standard forward grip.

There's no category where Flare is the best out of the bunch... But it's also so nearly identical that it should be pretty hard to tell the difference.

Personally, getting the Auraxium on it was a teeth grinding experience, I didn't enjoy many of the kills I got. I think my best setup was 2x reflex, flash suppressor, SPA, grip. Currently I'm not even playing a VS heavy because none of the weapons feel right to me.
    • Up x 1
  3. Mongychops

The problem with the Flare is that compared to pretty much every other weapon with the same damage and RoF (eg; TMG-50, Gauss SAW S, GD-22S), it has higher horizontal recoil, recoil tolerance, and first shot recoil, making it a relatively unreliable gun..

Before PU02 in December 2013, I believe it had a slightly lower moving ADS CoF (like the GD-22S still has), however, in a blanket VS LMG nerf in that patch (which should have simply hit the Orion and SVA-88, the only 2 LMGs anyone complained about), so now, there is basically no redeeming feature whatsoever for this crappier version of the Gauss SAW S.

For my 5 LMG auraxiums I went with; Orion, SVA-88, NS-15M, Pulsar LSW, and the Polaris (in that order). I'm pretty close with the Ursa as well (I only use the Ursa for between-base fights), but despite having ~600 kills with the Flare, I just can't be bothered to finish it. I am hoping that at some point it will get adjustments to give it a niche, or at least to bring it in line with equivalents, like when the devs finally realised that the extra bloom on the GD-7F just made it a crappier Serpent.

When I use it, I go with; grip, comp, SPA, 1x-2x reflex. I try not to move while using it (which exacerbates the accuracy reliability issues), preferably while camping a defensive position.
    • Up x 3
  4. HappyT

Compensator is a must on flare. Forward grip or extended magazine are optional. When it comes to first shot multiplier it has a consistent punch up. Basically if you start firing at body, your second shot will hit the head and from there you can compensate. Its a headshot machine for those who mastered it. By the time CoF kicks in your target is probably already dead.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gamingroach

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

My current all rounder loadout is 2x Reflex, Extended Mags, and Compensator...I avoid using the HVA because it makes the weapon a terrible experience at all ranges paired with different sets of sights. I do agree that the horizontal spread is noticeably erratic, even using a Foregrip barely helps at the least.

I feel this weapon is uncomfortably uncompetitive to many 167 damage LMGs I've experienced. The fact I find using a 3.4 sight on all NC LMGs comfortable and can easily drop targets at range. I cannot tame the FLARE VE6 at all, trying different sets of attachment loud outs to adapt myself to many situations, especially ranged engagements, eventually getting killed in the process.

I do have the URSA unlocked but I wanted to give the FLARE a shot of its worth. So far I can only manage to drop targets less than 30 meters in a fire fight though I feel the weapon should do better at range...
  6. tgipier

Flare is the only VS LMG that I didnt auraxium. Its a worse version of TMG-50. Use ursa instead if you must. I Auraxiumed Orion, SVA-88, Polaris, Ursa and LSW.
  7. Gamingroach

Coincidentally, most of my Flare kills last night are from random headshots. I tend to aim the lower body and let the recoil walk up the sights, but my strafing habit makes it difficult on landing shots at range targets.

Pretty much everyone from my outfit suggested to move on to the URSA. Not many of them seem to favor the Flare but only one person from the outfit Teamspeak liked the weapon lol.
  8. tgipier

Even the URSA is meh, VS dont have good 167 LMGs. Better off making due with the SVA-88/LSW.
    • Up x 1
  9. DatVanuMan

THIS IS THE FIRST PLANETSIDE WEAPON I'VE EVER AURAXIUMED. IT IS PERFECT.
    Just kidding:p
    Still think it's the best VS LMG (Alongside the Polaris) in the game.
    To make it work, get a 2x, a compensator, a grip, and HVA or SPA.
    Hope I helped:)
  10. BlackDragonFun

If you want a hard hitting VS LMG, then it is either the Flare or Ursa. I preferred the Ursa as the recoil is a lot easier to manage.

The Ursa has a very low ROF, so you need to be a good shot with it and go for the head. I recently Auraxiumed it and used it all ranges, and preferred using a NV scope and foregrip. You could try using the compensator if you want, but I wouldn't bother with HVA.

Check out Wrel's video on Flare vs Ursa:
  11. Posse

Don't use it is the best advice I can give you.
    • Up x 1
  12. ATRA_Wampa-One

A good rule to follow is that any gun that can equip SPA isn't really suppose to be used for long range engagements, and the Flare is no exception so the max range you want to use it at is around 40m. (If anything the HVA on the Flare should be moved to the Pulsar LSW)

My typical loadout for it is usually compensator, 2x or IRNV, SPA, and extra mags, bandoleer, conc grenades, and adrenaline which lets me wade into groups of conced enemies that I will proceed to mow down without ever having to reload.

Really, everyone complains about the Orion but that can only kill 2-4 people before running dry and most can maybe do 2v1 or 3v1. With the Flare I can average 2v1/3v1 easy and I've done some nuts things like 10v1 a few times.

I should warn you though, it took me about 1k kills to get that good with it. It has a super steep skill curve and if it doesn't mesh with you after around 400 kills I would move onto something else.
    • Up x 2
  13. Unclematos7

Cruczi, the SAW-S doesn't have access to the advanced forward grip. It's an S gun. All the attachments of the weapon class except for the advanced ones.

The SAW is the only NC LMG that can take it.

EDIT: Never used the Flare, so I'll take you guy's word for it.
    Ursa is awesome though.
  14. cruczi

It seems the wiki is incorrect or outdated then.
  15. FireclawX

^This

I have around 600 kills with it, and find it just fine up to medium range. Combined with the fact that it's damage is crazy high (for VS LMG's), and it's a headshot machine. So yeah, don't use it if it isn't for you. Personally though, it's second only to my Orion.
  16. Jygal

I actually enjoy using the Flare, personally. As someone who engages almost exclusively at medium range, it perfectly fits my playstyle. Definitely punishes poor accuracy, though.
    • Up x 1
  17. Gamingroach

Decided to give the flare a second shot for the night, I ended up with a slightly improved results with my ranged load out compared to yesterday session with the Flare. I suggest avoiding the VM3 3.4 chevron sight, as its crosshair reticule is not truly centered on the arrow tip, plaguing my previous night experience from missed shots. I went with the V3 Holo + Foregrip + Compensator + HVA and it does fair itself very well in squad support fire in short two round bursts by spamming the trigger at ranged targets while using cautious positioning.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/character-5428069961292109681.php?tab=killboard
  18. nehylen

I found the Flare much more uncomfortable than the Ursa for long range engagements, so i prefer to use a SPA/ext.mag/2x reflex setup on it, and did much better after that was settled. I'd watched Wrel's video before i used both LMGs, forgot about it some, but now that i've played both and watched it again, i agree with about everything he says in the review. The only thing i wouldn't do would be to put the ext.mag attachment on Ursa, which isn't bad, but not my idea of minmaxing there.
  19. ATRA_Wampa-One

With server smash coming up and this thread reminding me how much the Flare owns I decided to take it out for a spin last night. Now after logging in for the last 30 minutes of an alert and because that's "throw your bodies on the point" time by the first 1/2 hour I was at a 0.58 session KDR with about 30 kills. I switch over to the Flare and after 2 more hours I'm at 2.86 KDR and about 150 kills. Highlights were soloing an entire squad while we're both trying to make it to C point at Saerro, going on a 10-0 run both cleaning up Quartz Ridge and the hills north of EMC, and soloing 2 raven maxes after first softening them up with an AV grenade. All of those were 48-96 or 96+ fights.

Like I said, everyone complains about the Orion... but in the right hands and with the right setup the Flare is probably our most BS LMG.
    • Up x 1
  20. cruczi

No.. it's still a downgraded EM6/GSS/TMG-50. In the right hands, you can get 3:1 KDR with a block of wood.
    • Up x 1