[Suggestion] SOE, can you PLEASE start using your OWN forums?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BiggggBRIM, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HadesR

Very true .. But sadly that's not what he said :) .. And TBH w/e the public environment as employees talking to customers you would expect them to remain polite and professional .. So the medium shouldn't really matter as it shouldn't be crossing their mind to tell people to " **** off " ( Smed's words I believe ) anyway ..

And they get more crap on their personal preferred medium ( Twitter ) than they ever do on forums ..
    • Up x 1
  2. Leondre

It astounds me how little the people criticizing /r/planetside actually know about it.
    • Up x 2
  3. uhlan

Personally, I'm not at all suprised there isn't any active participation by the devs on this forum beyond the patch notes and the ocassional interjection on certain topics.

This forum can be a "cesspool" as mentioned earlier; filled with the unbridled angst spouted by every frustrated player. I'm sure one of the reasons they don't have an active presence is to avoid drawing attention to the forums and would rather have prospective players search the relatively benign discussions on Reddit.

I have fallen victim to my own issues and left a sprawling, whining post which a MOD quickly expunged with a very polite note about why it was done citing it as being less than constructive...

...and he was right, of course.

The devs certainly watch the topics here, but, perhaps, are simply jaded into thinking there isn't much value to them.

I personally think the game is beyond any major changes. It's going on two years post beta and all that is left to the devs are performance challenges to rectify. I don't expect them to do or add much else.

Some folks have mentioned elsewhere that the PC version of PS2 is simply a bridge or beta for the version on PS4 and I'm begining to agree.

They will never be able to crunch the performance across the player base here as there are too many disparate computer systems involved.

With the PS4 version, there is only the PS4 to be optimized.

So, in essence folks, the game-play is beta'd here on the pc version; where optimization is a far less important goal.
  4. HadesR

Personally I believe that to be a two way problem..
    If players feel their concerns or thoughts are at best not seen and at worst ignored then they will post in a more negative manner > Dev's maybe like you say feel jaded and avoid forums > Players feels they are being ignored and post in a negative manner > rinse repeat ..
    • Up x 2
  5. Shatters

They already post everything "big" to these forums. Posting about every small change on the official forums would just make it one pile of cant-find-anything-in-here.

Its simple:
    Playing planetside2 and want to know about the newest features in the game? Use the offcial forums, launcher and your mail.
    Playing planetside2 and wondering about what is going to/might come before its there? Check out twitter or reddit.

Most people on the official forums dont care about what might (not) be comming in 3 months from now. They just want to know about the large patches and latest big events, AKA the things that have a major impact on the game. If the devs would post everything in here that they post on reddit, the official forums would become a mess.

TLDR: Important stuff: Forums. Less-important/might happen stuff: reddit. WHAT IS HAPPENING NOAW? twitter.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jygal

Logged in just to like this. More communication in the places where communication is actually supposed to be, please.
  7. FireclawX

This is true, but the important stuff is getting left out.
    Just as what happened with the latest patch. Our man d_carey decided to tell reddit and twitter about the patch breaking the 32 bit client, and not forumside. Because of this, there was lots of frustration on the side of people who stray away from reddit and twitter.

Personally, I check both reddit, and the forums. BUT you have to understand that not everyone does, and when the important stuff isn't on here, people should and will complain.

TLDR: Important stuff not on Forums, as was just exemplified by the most recent patch which broke the 32 bit launcher. No forumside post was made, and all we got was d_cary's reddit comment.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scudmungus

Reddit's forum structure a key advantage of the structure of these forums.

Here, any ole' troll, angst-riddled poster or attention seeker can clog up and pad out a thread with post after post, burying structured, critical opinion sharing under their mental dross.

On Reddit we can up-vote what we like and ignore what we don't, allowing it to sink into oblivion. The result on Reddit is a topic/thread that is less hostile to many a reader.

Sure, we could apply the same system here but that would involve SOE investing money in overhauling the forums - which will cost them cash. Meanwhile, Reddit provides an alternative for free.

Now, if you could prove to The Powers That Be that the practice of using Reddit over these forums is costing them hard cash then I'm sure they'd do something about it.

Since we really can't, we can expect business as usual.

Remember folks - we're a product first and foremost.
    • Up x 1
  9. HadesR

The amount of feedback the Roadmap got when it was used / useful / up to date disagree with you
    • Up x 4
  10. iller

Valkyrie
    Reddit knights thought it was fine.
    Forums said it wasn't ready for release.
    ZOE
    Reddit thought it was fine at first
    Forums said someone was clearly smoking illicit drugs when it got past the Test Server
    Spring Liberator changes
    lol.....Redditors don't even know how 2 lib to begin with
    Forums said get that crap out of here NOW.

Transportation in general
    Forumside: prefers real vehicles
    Reddit: likes ponies a little too much
    • Up x 7
  11. RadarX

Folks let's try and keep this constructive.

The PS2 community is everywhere and we just can't ignore all the avenues to engage our customers. Feedback is important regardless of where it comes from and we are making that as visible as possible through these weekly threads stickyed at the top. Also please keep in mind a lack of response does not mean your feedback isn't being read.
    • Up x 8
  12. DatVanuMan

Which is why you devs freaking rule, man:D
    It's just that you pay far more attention to Redditside than Forumside, your original creation. We Forumsiders need some love, too:(
    • Up x 2
  13. Jeslis

I just wanted to comment on this.. as sometimes this irks me with my ... Activision Blizzard? (World of Warcraft) game.. and its Devs.

Specifically:
    Why are they .. able? to get away with completely ignoring reddit.. and are only marginally on twitter (And thankfully we have mmo-champion.com which does a massive copy of ALL their twitter posts sorted by class and area within the game).. but they use their own forums and website announcements?.
    Why *can't* you (the ps2 devs), ignore 'all the other avenues to engage your customers'.. and just use your forums and maybe twitter... AND/OR upgrade your *tracker* tool so that it actually displays all the twitter stuff?

But anyways, BARRING the above..
    Can YOU, RadarX, PLEASE post this link (http://www.ps2tracker.net/) on a sticky on the gameplay forums here? and/or post it/tweet it and have other devs also re-tweet it.
    Someone in this thread linked that tracker link here.. and its probably the only worthwhile way to track you people (yes you people) and what you post... Whoever made that site should take over your https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?recent-activity/ page because they are doing it better... if not as.. legibly (Im not a fan of the format, but at least it tracks EVERYTHING.)
  14. DatVanuMan

They're trying the best they can, man. They decide whether or not to frequent Forumside as much as they do Redditside or Twitterside.
    Could they do a better job? Sure.
    Are they trying their best? You bet.
    Have they broken my heart?
    Well, maybe...
  15. Lucerin_SolTech

Where there's smoke there's fire. Hard to tell what to care about when everything is on fire here.
  16. Lucerin_SolTech

The roadmap forum structure should be ported over to the gameplay forum.
    • Up x 2
  17. Lucerin_SolTech

Let me FTFY,

Proposed Change or Addition X:
    Reddit Response: Opinions, top voted are highly viewed
    Forums Response: Gamebreaking, don't do it, no voting for reasonable responses
    • Up x 1
  18. Razzyman

Thank for the reply Radar. It is definitely a good thing that you guys interact with your community through the multiple social media outlets, I (as one who has rallied in the past for more Dev interaction here) would say that's a great thing. The concern many of us share however, is that we feel ignored here in comparison to the interaction people get on Reddit, Twitter and the like. I understand it is probably too late now, and it is what it is. A suggestion to all the different game departments at SOE, for future games and projects, your high level of interaction on social media compared to the lower amount here on the official forums really left a sour taste in my, and a number of players mouths. As you can see from this thread it made a lot of people upset and really hurt your image for a lot of us. Just something to keep in mind for future projects :).
    • Up x 2
  19. FireclawX

Feedback is all good and dandy, but when we are kept out of the loop on important information, it isn't really appreciated.
    Simply put, we appreciate that you read all the drivel we post, and honestly speaking the interaction between devs and community is far greater in this game than in any other I have witnessed. BUT you should not exclude any one avenue when providing important information like the status of the game, it's numerous bugs, and plans on when you will fix them.

For example (as I have pointed out numerous times before) anyone who only checks the forums and twitter, would be left in the dark about the status of the 32 bit client, as well as the status of controller and joystick support, as those two pieces of information were only posted to Reddit.

Now, I am not one of those "forumsiders" and I regularly check Reddit as well as the official forums, BUT considering how many people obviously don't, you need to consider the fact that some people may update the game one fine day, get a CTD with their 32 bit client, and, unawares that the client has been broken in the latest patch, will come on forumside to complain. These threads were numerous during the long weekend, and it was thanks to a few kind redditors that the forumsiders were able to find out that their computers weren't messing up, and that it was actually the patch which broke the 32 bit client. Same thing with controller support.

The point is. If you guys do something important, and only post it on Reddit/Twitter, forumsiders will feel left out, and long "toxic" posts will ensue.

Props to anyone if you made it this far in my rant, but I hope it was well written and free of any silly mistakes. And RadarX if you're still reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything you've done to make our crazy community ideas come to reality in this awesome game!
    • Up x 5
  20. sauna

I agree. It's disgusting the way devs ignore the official ways of communicating and use crap like Twitter etc instead. It's not that hard, is it? Post on the official forums first and link to whatever social media you hold dear and can't be without.

It's very clear that devs these days are lazy and use apps/faster methods to update their customers (a smaller portion of their customers, mind you, since there are those that refuse to use these things). Sad stuff. If your own site is too slow for you to update as often as you Tweet and spam Reddit, why don't you improve on it or make something you all like better the official channel for information.

/forever ignoring Twitter/Facebook/Instagram/Etc since my name isn't Sally_14 who wants attention and confirmation 24/7.
    • Up x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.