[Suggestion] Add dumbfire mode to phoenix

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bape, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Xasapis

From my personal outtake, I'd say that Phoenix is a weapon that I use much much more on my NC than Lancer for the VS or Striker for the TR. I find it usable in any occasion that involves targets at 30+. Lancer is useful only for targets at 200+ (which don't happen much lately in redeployside) and Striker needs clear and unobstructed view.

I do have one question though. Is there a way to cancel the flight? Like when I've missed but the missile keeps on flying?
  2. DevDevBooday

It will get nerfed to compensate no doubt.
  3. Flag

The missile is a vehicle.
    You can react accordingly. ;)
  4. Xasapis

Pull over, alarm, hand break and triangle?
  5. xArchAngelx

dude...I freak'n love you man. You are probably one of the few NC that realize that the Striker needs this overhaul.

To make clarifications:
    1: The Striker will become a dumbfire RL. There will be no lock on targeting system that the wielder has to engage.
    2: The projectiles themselves will have the coyote mechanics. If an aircraft gets within a certain distance of the missile, it will target the aircraft and go after it. Mind you, you have to be within a certain distance.
    3: The coyote mechanic will ONLY work against aircraft. Everything else has to be fired like a regular dumbfire.
    4: The damage is going to be adjusted to fit this rework.

To everyone that wants the Phoenix to have a dumbfire option. You do realize that they would have to dramatically reduce the damage/resistance that it would do against vehicles. You'd would all be back here complaining about the massive damage drop off that it would get.
  6. Goretzu

It already has the lowest DPS of any ESRL by a long way and indeed the dumbfires due to resistances except against Air.
  7. Flag

Yes. ;p

Nah you just have to remember where your exit vehicle button is (I don't remember if it's air or ground) and "exit" the missile.
    That's all. But it will drop like a rock if you do.
  8. Xasapis

E button then, thanks
  9. Rostklump

Press E.
  10. Flag

You haven't rebound exit air to a different button?!

HOW CAN YOU PLAY THAT WAY?!
  11. Xasapis

After mistakenly ejecting at first, I stopped making that mistake. Though to be honest, I'm pretty horrible at air fights, so I don't pull them all that often lately.
  12. Alarox

The Phoenix is an extremely situational weapon and adding a dumb-fire mode would drastically increase its usefulness.
    • Up x 2
  13. warmachine1

Noone say it shold not get the same drop in dmbfire mode, it should be for emergency purpose only.
  14. AssaultPig

if the phoenix got a true dumb-fire mode its drop would have to be reduced; a truly dumb fired phoenix rocket goes about 10m before hitting the ground. I learned this by trying to fire it while desynced from the server; it will fire the missile but won't put the player into the 'vehicle.'

there's no need for it really; not having a real dumb fire function is a fair enough disadvantage for having a camera guided decimator
  15. faykid

OK, Phoenix gets dumb fire, Striker gets heat seeking on aircraft, and Lancer gets 1.5 scope. We got a deal.
  16. Goretzu

The E option has a couple of problems, there's no hipfire, you have to stand still for a reasonable amount of time (certainly longer than the TTK of many weapons throwing fire back at you), it is difficult to aim with the way the Pheonix starts (indeed it is actually impossible to ghetto-dumbfire within a certain range) combined with its drop AND the huge hitbox it has (much bigger than any other rocket)..... and of course it can be shot down.

Some of those drawbacks would still exist with a proper dumbfire, but would be more managable.

The current ghetto-dumbfire isn't really dumbfire at all in most situations, it is more "E-ing" out to get a head start on reloading.
  17. Covah

I agree it should have a dumbfire mode.

But you can't just give it dumbfire like that or it will be a decimator on steroids.

It needs to have a downfall when dumb-fired.

And the lancer should get a zoom.
  18. DatVanuMan

My suggestion:
    Increase damage to 1,100.
    Increase the velocity.
    Increase ease of handling.
    Decrease drop when pressing E.
    Increase the rocket's health.
  19. DatVanuMan

Did you just... IS IT POSSIBLE? A Terran saying the Lancer should get scopes???
    YOU MUST BE THE CHOSEN ONE!
  20. xArchAngelx

The Lancer should get a scope. Atleast up to a 2x scope. The whole purpose of that weapon is to be a laser beam "Rocket Launcher". With the striker overhaul, I would love to see the "scope" changed to iron sights or a 1.5-2x scope as well.