Getting really high temperatures

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by doombro, Aug 27, 2014.

1. doombro

Recently I've been getting signs of overheating, so I decided to run some temperature monitoring stuff to see how bad things were.

Where most games leave me between 30-50c when a lot of stuff is going on, Planetside 2 throws my temps up to 60-80c before I even get to a fight, even on the test server. I run on minimal settings, to top things off.

Specs: Win 8.1 64, i7-4770, GTX760, 8 GB RAM.
  2. Noppa

Do you mean the CPU heat or the GPU heat, if GPU heat limit you'r FPS so it wont hit 99% all the time on warpgate and if CPU, well there isn't much other you can do than get better cooling, i am only topping around 55c on CPU and 60c on GPU, both overclocked and with good cooling!

Haswell runs pretty hot even with aftermarket cooler cos of the crappy heat paste Intel uses these days on em, mine is delidded and liquid metal between core and IHS!
  3. SacredRay

I had this same issue where my Rig literally turned into a radiator. This game is badly optimized and forces excess load on your machine.

BUT

Having a good cooling system WILL offset this. And I don't mean being extravagant and getting water cooling or something. Here is my set up:

ASUS mobo Z97-K (it might Z87-K but I'm not at home right now so can't confirm)
    i5-47xxk @ 3.4Ghz not OC
    8GB Ram
    1GB 560ti MSI twin frozer ii
    1 CPU fan
    1 Case fan
    2 external fans (that you screw onto the case)

These 4 fans combined provide enough cooling power to keep my temperatures below 50oC. Also, 60+ FPS in every single battle on High settings (Ultra is a very very expensive luxury for how much strain it puts on your system).

So in short, get a 3rd fan and enjoy the cooling.
  4. R0bH

5. day ofm one

Open your computer, search the fans, these have normally air filters, carefully take these out, go outside, blow the dust out, your cooling system works better again.

AND:

Are you sure your fans are positioned correctly?

Open your computer and check the fans, you can also turn it on and use your hand to feel the airflow.

They should suck air through your computer, if one of the fans is placed incorrectly, maybe both fans work into opposite directions, this will decrease the cooling effect dramatically.

AND:

Make sure that nothing blocks the airflow in your computer.

Open the computer and put all wires out of the airstream.

AND:

Maybe your fans spin too slow, so they can't suck enough air to cool your computer.

Check your BIOS, you should find options for your fans there, turn the spinning rate up (increase the voltage), but be careful that you don't put it too high!

You can also instal speedfan to regulate your fans.

Coretemp will help you to keep an eye on the temperature of your computer.

You can take some photos of your PC interior, especially of the fans.
    I can take a look at them if you want.
  6. ZwergenWind

First of all 60-80°C won´t hurt your PC in any way - those temps are fine - nothing to worry about.
    However I see what you´re talking about and I can just say: Open up your PC and take some pictures.

Also the high temps have nothing to do with the game being badly optimized. Most modern games put a lot of load on your CPU and GPU so they run hotter [ Cpt. Obvious ] - that is not just Planetside 2 [ If you´re playing Minecraft that´s something else ].

There is no need to increase fan voltage or anything stupid like that. Before you do anything to your PC that could easily damage parts, post pics!

Regards,
    ZwergenWind
  7. day ofm one

This is a feature that most BIOS offer, many of them regulate the fans really low to save energy, it is 100% OK to increase the voltage a bit, that is why there is an option for it.

I run my fans on 50% of the voltage they allow as maximum, I could double it without any risk, it would just eat more energy and create more noise.