Resource revamp: phase 2 - when?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lilium Atratum, Aug 25, 2014.

1. OldMaster80

Because generally speaking having more tactics and strategic choices is better than having less. One should be able to be a pilot all the time but spamming vehicles shouldn't be sustainable foe long periods without a proper supply chain (aka Ant Run).
    You didn't read the roadmap. This is not what's going to happen. With the 2nd part of the resources revamp you will still be able to spam tanks but only as long as your faction supports you with a supply of extra nanites.
  2. Lilium Atratum

What you say with a bit of sarcasm, let me read seriously.
    I agree on that too - with the quick deploy option, it does annoy me too that I kill an enemy and face him again literally 10s later, or less. I don't think the nanite cost would be the solution, but respawn time could be increased when certain conditions are met (e.g. dying to quickly, or base being low on power after phase 2). But that is topic for another thread.......

Apart from that - you have more options to deny people spawning as infantry. Infantry has to spawn close to the battlefield - which means, you can take down enemy sunderers or cap a base and your foe won't spawn anymore. Infantry spawning denied.
    But tanks are usually pulled a base or two behind. You can't cap those bases. Trying to destroy a vterm would be pointless (easy to repair). The main way of vehicle denial was through nutrition and timers. It is no longer the case.

Just to be clear: I am not against vehicles per se - just their numbers. I would not mind them to be stronger: more armor, more damage. Something that if you pull it, it matters a lot on the battlefield. And if you play smart, you can survive 10 minutes and if you do so, I would have nothing against you pulling another one immediately.
    But this constant pulling, dyeing, pulling, dyeing .... all I get is XP, but no tactical benefit.
  3. Leonard DeVir

As it should be.
  4. CDN_Wolvie

There are solutions to having people play what they want to while still having limits on resources.

Take this example I came across in Heroes & Generals - even if you shouldn't spawn a tank because you are low on resources, you can spawn on another tank that has already spawned and crew for them.

There may even be better solutions but its not impossible to have a better situation than currently or even previously existed in PS2.
  5. RemusVentanus

I read it. That vehicles and max suits will reserve a portion of your nanites and that your income on nanites will also be cut down by portion while you use them. All that tied to the power level and income of that base where you are at smells just like the old 30 minutes wait. At least back then you could go fly to make the wait less annoying.

That only vehicles reserve a portion of a persons nanite pool is bollocks, granades, medkits, C4 and everything else should do the same. And why should i have to pay maint for my vehicle... it doesn't repair itself magically out of nowhere.
    I read it and i dont like what i read, how much i will dislike it remains to be seen once it is on the live servers.
  6. Lamat

Remember when night vision was also like thermal only longer ranged and better? :p
    • Up x 1
  7. Inex

No it isn't.

You're complaining about your tanks fighting their tanks as if that's a problem. If you have better/more numerous tanks, you're going to win the fight: just like you do with infantry. Eventually you'll either push them back to where they're getting the tanks from (nobody gets to pull a tank when the bay is under direct fire from enemy armor) or an enterprising infiltrator will go back a few zones and hack the terminal they're using to resupply tanks.

That massive tank battles are interrupting your infantry play isn't actually a problem.
  8. Ash87

The "July" label on the Roadmap is from the post made about the Phase 1 implementation, which was in July. The Phase 2, everytime Malorn is asked, has No projected release time.

I'd mention that it's been mentioned in press releases, that it should be out this year... But I'd say it's more likely we'll see it mid next year.
  9. Lilium Atratum

First, massive tank battles are now much more frequent than they were before.
    Secondly, pushing back enemy tanks two hexes beyond the territorial front - that is never happening. Tank battles, unlike infantry, ends in a stalemate much more often. You kill them and they keep coming...

I want less tanks but wouldn't mind them being more powerful.
    • Up x 1
  10. Inex

Which is a good thing.
    Nor did I say it would. You'll simply push them back to where they're getting tanks from, so the next waves will take longer to arrive.
    Which only leads to spawn farming.
  11. Lilium Atratum

No, it is not. They are almost everywhere and people don't know what they are doing.
    But this is probably more a matter of opinion. You want to be in a tank and have tanks dominate every battlefield that they can reach to. I would prefer to see just a few tanks, mixed together with infantry. Although, I have nothing against occasional big tank fights.

They are taking tanks from one or two hexes behind the territoral front. So they would or would not push back to where they're getting them from - please make up your mind.

Longer to arrive? There use to be a timer, but now it is not there, so travel time is the only time you deny a tank, which is approximately 2 minutes, to drive through 2 bases.

Less tanks, more spawn farming?
    A bit stronger tank it is still one tank. As infantry you can take cover, pick a different path, avoid being shot at while moving elsewhere.
    But a swarm of weak tanks does not let you do that.
    Besides, tank drivers are already complaining that tanks are made of paper...
    • Up x 1
  12. Inex

Agreed. They should only happen in the fields surrounded contested bases. Certainly not inside towers, or under the geometry. Or in the sky: that's for aircraft.
    If you're winning, you'll eventually push the territorial front back to where they're getting the tanks from, at which point they won't be able to pull them anymore (WG excluded, naturally).
    Which is better than the one minute to go over one base. If you get to pull a tank from your base, or the base just behind you, and the enemy is pulling tanks from several bases away (or the WG, in the case of Esamir) then you have an advantage.
    Exactly.

If you have fewer tanks, you will eventually run into the scenario where one side doesn't have any tanks. At that point the remaining armor on the field push up to the next base. Generally you'll see the attacker armor column grow slightly as both reinforcements and people who realize there's no enemy armor roll up. You end up with a half dozen tanks sitting outside a base, preventing anything but an organized outfit from responding with armor of their own. Even on the bases which don't allow direct spawn spam, you have basically locked the defenders inside until they get bored and redeploy.
  13. Atis

14. Lilium Atratum

Do you understand the word occasional? Or are you purposely mocking me?

No one is winning the eternal tank spam/grind, because new tanks keep coming and you have to focus on that rather than moving the territorial front. That's the point!

2 minutes is not really better than 1 minute.
    Firstly, tanks come constantly. It's 1 or 2 minutes for the same tanker you killed to face again.
    Secondly, even if there is 1 or 2 minute gap, it's not enough time to switch away from tanks, doing something else.

Consequently I am forced to play against those tanks and can't do anything else (or face an imminent defeat).

Having fewer tanks by certain percentage is not going to make tanks-vs-no-tanks scenario occur more often. And even when such scenario occurs, it will be no-tanks vs few-tanks, rather than no-tanks vs huge zerg armor column - which is the main source of spawn grinding. Few tanks, even if more powerful, are more manageable by infantry, as I explained earlier.
  15. Inex

Just pointing out that having constant tank battles out where tanks are supposed to be isn't a bad thing. People who like to play in tanks get to do so. People who like to fly get to play aircraft. People who like to play infantry get base fights.
    Which was why I mentioned those industrious Infiltrators. There won't be any new tanks coming if the console is contantly hacked, destroyed, mined and camped by Stalker cloaked Infs.
    Twice as good, actually. If your armor column is getting a new tank every 60 seconds, but the enemy has to wait twice that then you're going to win. And you're right, sombody will need to stay in the tanks to fend off enemy counter attack, but then the enemy will need to break off from bringing tanks in order to defend the base interior.
    If I were being more flippant, I'd point out that being forced to fight your enemy is the whole point.
    You don't need a lot of tanks to lock down a spawn or base exit. And what happens when you do win the interior fight? With cheap tanks you can almost expect people to pull armor to counter the tanks that have been waiting outside the whole fight. With expensive ones, it's going to be more effective to just redeploy away instead.
  16. Lilium Atratum

And I prefer mixing things up. Being sometimes allowed to fight as infantry in the open.
    It used to be that way, now it is not.
    Secondly, tanks do affect infantry base fights, and to some degree they should. We don't want walls everywhere. But for that to work right, tanks should not be everywhere outside.

To me, what you say is inconsistent. You bring tank camping infantry argumentation, while you say tanks should be always present where tanks can reach. Since the latter will bring the former, it makes me think (and not only that one) that you stand in opposition just for the sake of being in opposition.

And I already explained, this is not going to work that way. Infiltrators are easy to flush out.

Wrong. You, as a faction, still get tank every X seconds. It's just its arrival time that is increased. But that does not decrease the amount of tanks on the battlefield.

Besides, if I am hungry and eat just 2 beans and you say "it could be worse, you could have just 1 bean which is twice as bad" does not make me less hungry. It is just mean.

Wait. Didn't you refute that you don't want to be forced to play infantry few posts ago?

Already explained why this is not true.

... or simply kill those few tanks with rockets. That's doable, unlike killing huge zerg armor column.
  17. Inex

I stand in opposition of Indar. Tanks just aren't the same problem anywhere else.
    But that takes time, which gives your tanks the ability to push the line.
    The math depends on there being a large enough tank battle that there are nearly constantly tanks in transit for at least one side (presumably, the side with the longer reinforcement time). If your battle is small enough that isn't true (i.e. a tank 'zerg' of 2 Lightnings) then you still have an advantage because for 60 seconds you have 2 tanks and they only have 1.
    That doesn't actually make it not true.
    If you absolutely insist on not using the Nanites given to you, I'm not sure I've got any sympathy if some enormous doom-zerg locks you down with tanks.
  18. Lilium Atratum

I made my post after Esamir... but same problems, to various degrees, happen on Amerish and even Hossin.

Much less time than getting the infiltrator there in the first place. 30 seconds - tops.

Fair. But that is the case most of the time, because of the enormous cash/nanite flow you get. 2 vs 2 tank battles are now really rare. There is either no battle whatsoever, or 20 tanks fighting each other. Because tanks are so cheap and can't be reliably denied.

Have you forgotten the context of that response already? Then read it again. All I am saying is that you don't need nanites to take a few tanks down. An argument why few tanks are not that much of a problem with respect of tank spawn killing. Which in turn, is an argumentation why battlefield would be better balanced if there were simply fewer tanks (by certain percentage), even if they were made individually stronger.
    I am not insisting that infantry should be throwing themselves to big zerg armor columns.
  19. libbmaster

20. Captain Kid

Then they didn't even do phase 1 completely:
    Facilities Supply Personal Resources (Nanite Source)
    • If a player is in a friendly region, then that region’s facility is the supplying facility for the player.
    • If a player is not in a friendly region then the supplying facility is the nearest adjacent friendly territory. If none then resource income is 0.
    • The amount of resources supplied to players is directly related to the facility power level. Full power grants 60 personal resources every minute.
    • Warpgates are always full power and always give the maximum income to players being supplied by one.