Anti Material Rifles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ci'fera, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Ci'fera

Hey all, Just got done posting my first flying experiences in PS2 here! [ https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...lot-trying-flying-in-ps2.198883/#post-2890942 ] But I thought I would share a idea that would be fun. Now before you all rage so hard. Because the hate flows through you like a bunch of sith. But I was using my railjack just for giggles in the VR room. And I looked at a max and said to myself. You know what I wish I had? a Anti Material Rifle. You know, like those Anzio Iron works 20mm [vulcan] Sniper Rifles they sell to civilians for about 8 grand back in the day.

Now I'm not going to give exact stats [ I probably will run my mouth anyway about stats..] but what i would like to see for the infiltrator, is a AM rifle that, unlike the stalker, disables a secondary weapon maybe the cloak as well. and only gets 1 round magazine, maybe 10-15 rounds total. And can take on max units and under.

Heres a short layout of what I would like to see, NS or factional I dont really care. Feel free to pose your own versions and ideas below.

Type: Heavy Sniper
    Fire Rate: N/A
    Damage: [Insert reasonable amount [I would love 1000 Though i fear that would make alot of people rage]
    Muzzle Velocity: 300m/s [Lets put it on par with a AP tank gun for velocity. as an example]
    Reload: 3/s
    Mag size: 1
    Reserve Ammo: 10[?]

Notable Features[?]
    Damage not reduced via armor upgrades or max resistances to damage.
    AP/HE round upgrades for pecking at vehicles or infantry specialization.
    Incredible scope sway. [Use that hold breath implant for your life!]
    Large movement reduction if you have the weapon. [Opposite of adrenalin pump.]

Now that being said, Why not make this weapon place able like a MANA turret Instead of having a bouncing betty or whatnot? The below is if you go with that kind of option. or an idea there of.

Place weapon on the ground and man it. Much like a Bipod/Tripod.
    Placing weapon removes some of the scope sway
    Placing weapon allows you to remain in scope while loading a round.
    Cloak recharge is greatly slowed while mounted. [Spend certs for faster recharge why not.]

Weapon can not be placed again within a short time. [Like a squad beacon]

In short this whole concept is an idea to specialize a player into a dedicated support role that would make them very picky about putting up camp. for fear of exposure and certain doom. But if done right could be a valuble asset in say a large open area or High above the fight, plinking away at max units and giving a max or brave heavy assault a second thought about poking out. But NOT having the point at head and pull trigger high velocity brain splat that is the railjack. when someone stands still for .x secconds [Yes i brain people alot with my railjack due to its incredible velocity. despite the delay in firing.] Hence the low velocity

With the new squad gunship/transport [Valkyrie?] Comming out, it would be a good idea to have a heavy sniper team utilize them to set up prior to a big zerg, or get behind the lines to cause good damage. with a good craft to escape aswell should things go south.

PS heres is an Anzio 20mm next to a Anzio .50 [ Left is 20mm, right is .50] for size comparison to peoples beloved 'fiddycals' And yes i have fired a Anzio 20mm, my shoulder hurt. and it was prone on a bipod. Yes its huge, Im a 6,6ft tall dude and these things stand foot to head with me.]
    [IMG]
  2. ColonelChingles

I just replied to another thread about the stupidity of AM rifles affecting MBT... I'll just requote myself from having to type it out all over again:

So Sunderer? Sure. 20mm should penetrate MRAP armor. Lightning? Probably not except to the rear. MBT? You've got to be kidding! :D
    • Up x 2
  3. sustainedfire

We already had sniping AV missle turrets.

Cloaking Long Distance Vehicle Sniper Rifles would definately not be appreciated. By anyone.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ci'fera

Yeah I was thinking on it and MBT's probably should not be affected, but lightnings facing the side or wrong way? sure. Harrasers? defiantly, a Liberator? Sure why not. and ect.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ci'fera

Well to be fair, If it has enough sway it wont be a problem as much for infantry, just stationary vehicles.
  6. sustainedfire

Give it to Heavy Assaults, have the bullet trail be more visable then a Lancer trail and give it extremely marginal damage vs Vehicles- and make it a primary weapon, so the Heavy loses significant AI damage capabilty.

Then maybe it will be alright.
  7. LT_Latency

I didn't know they were fighting on earth in 2014.
  8. ShotgunGuru

If it was a deployable for infils, I would like it. Here are some things it would need so it wouldn't be OP:
    • 3 sec. reload
    • No splash damage
    • No guiding(like MANA turret)
    • Not silencable
    • Has a compensator built in
    • Takes 6 shots to kill a Lightning, only from the back
    However, so it isn't completely useless, here are some other things that would be nice about it:
    • 1 shot kill 0-300 m.
    • When using it, in a prone position with a bipod
    • Access to 6x-12x scopes with less sway(due to bipod)
    • Mountable on rails and walls
    • 750 m/s projectile velocity
    How do you like it guys? Is it balanced enough? Please reply!
  9. sustainedfire

I meant in that AV that functions from out of render distance is really frustrating, and not fun to play against. The A/V turret in its old form would allow you to fire on vehicles at ranges were they would have no idea what was hitting them.

It was easily abusable.

Im not saying its a horrible idea. It would have to have a lot of restrictions to make it fair and balanced. Giving an AV rifle to a cloaking infantryman would be a recipe for disaster. Actually, giving any anti AV to an infiltrator would be a bad idea.
    • Up x 1
  10. ShotgunGuru

Like mine?
  11. ColonelChingles

Oh my bad, you're right.

In the 29th century at the rate infantry AT weapons are becoming less and less effective, the AM rifle shouldn't do any damage to Lightnings at all.

My mistake. Thanks for catching that for me!
    • Up x 1
  12. Shatara

You would have a point if the 20mm Basilisk wasn't already capable of damaging tanks frontally. It's not like it would do much besides reset auto-repairs, anyway...

Seems like a good idea to me, maybe as an NS rifle. You sacrifice velocity (probably the most important thing for sniping) and magazine for better MAX damage and the ability to scratch-damage armor. Would probably end up a novelty, and 99% of snipers would still be using Longshot/Parallax/RAMS.50 anyway.
  13. ColonelChingles

Yes, that's also why it's incredibly stupid for the Basilisk to do damage to MBTs. Honestly the armor model of PS2 is absolutely bizarre when we're in a post-World-of-Tanks era of gaming. PS2 just does flat out damage reduction by percentage, whereas a much better system would take into account penetration values.

At any rate, it's just silly for 20mm equivalents of HMGs to do damage to a MBT. I'll throw that in there with such intelligent game design decisions as a battle crossbow for the 29th century or a snowball thrower that can be fatal to someone in full body armor.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rovertoo

I think it would be a great addition! I would make it so that you can't cloak while aiming down the sights, and possibly not do phenomenal damage. Maybe make it so 3 shots kills a Max, 2 if at least one of them is a headshot. That damage would really only make it a real threat against Harassers, but they'd be moving too fast anyways.

I would say that this would be a welcome addition to the game because I think that all classes should be able to specialize in Anti Infantry, Anti Air (don't have much of that now), or Anti Armor, or a weaker blend of the three. So an Infil could go Anti Armor with this gun, or Anti Infantry with a bolt action, or Anti Air with... hmm. Maybe just make a radar gun that attaches beacons to enemy planes.

Heavy and Max, of course, already has all these options in great and powerful amounts.

Engie should get an AA turret.

LA should get some kind of tool. A weapon, hopefully. Then we could have AI/AA/AP version of it like the Heavy.

Medic, being a lot more support-y though still combat oriented, could possibly still use C4, with an addition of some kind of Air deterrent utility slot.

(Not bashing on Air, I just think everyone should be able to specialize in all three ways, just like vehicles can)
  15. iller

You mean anyone BUT infiltrators.
    Kinda like how the rest of us didn't appreciate the Dalton ... only Lib gunners did.
    But go ahead.... try to convince "anyone" who actually tried it, that it didn't take skill to use??
  16. NC supporter

They had lots of time designing 3 faction specific weapons and they still need huge amounts of tweaking. They also have to finish up on the Valkyrie and several other projects, so how do you think they won't make a very butchered version of your AM rifle.
  17. SacredRay

What?
  18. Rift23

Screw the AMR, we have wraith bombs.
  19. phreec

It's called the Lancer.

The game doesn't need any more "low risk, high reward" weapons.
  20. Ronin Oni

You're just jealous of our FAB