Sick of Light Assaults.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plorf, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Anchor IV

That's my point? :)
  2. Rovertoo

Wait, I'm confused now :confused:. Weren't you against the LA's ambush tactics?
  3. Anchor IV

I'm against people assuming everyone should always have 100% awareness of their surroundings at all times. It just doesn't work like that.

I think LAs have an inherent ability to be a bit sneaky and tactical. It's kind of all they're good for. Why give anyone the ability to move at all if people can't use positioning to their advantage?
  4. Rovertoo

Oh, okay! I agree. For some reason I thought you didn't like LA's ambush tactics. Mebads
  5. Meeka

Sniping light assaults out of mid air is a favourite past time.
  6. Copasetic

I'm sick of the HA's crutch shield being used as an I win button, but those are the breaks.
  7. crusaderx11

i killed the same br 100 max 4 times in a bio fight last night. nothing stops a rampaging skillsuit better then a REAL angel of death with his trusty jetpack and sticks of fun. you leave my funpack alone, you hear!?
  8. Kunavi

Then why do Medics have C4?
    - They shouldn't. Did you see me defending C4 Medics? Because I have clearly said many times that C4 should be very limited as far as classes go, in fact it should not just fill an empty spot but force a hard choice if you want to carry it. Then again this means balancing Vehicles - Infantry better so GL with getting that through to SOE.

As for baiting, I am not. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. LAs with Shot-Gun and C4 ARE indeed the favoured class for cheap KD farmers exploiting pathetic Base design. Do I have to point fingers here? I think it's against the rules though.

Look I am not bashing, I am saying this is a multilayered problem that needs quick small fixes temporarily, until SOE works out Bases, utility of C4, ETC.
  9. Moonheart

The main problem with LA and infiltrators is the same than with any class using ambush to kill people in any higby MMO: You see when someone successfully ambush you, and so, and thus, kill you easily.... you do not see what it cost to set up this ambush correctly. The time spent, the skill needed, the amount of stupid deaths happening before you succeed to land one of this ambushes.

An ambush class can be op or not, some players will only see it as OP because their sucess are just put in full view, with a large death screen shouting at you "You've got assassinated by Mister X" at a moment you didn't expect to die, but their deaths are just random events in the flow of a battle

Not saying that LA are not slightly more powerful than others: Their rankings, average k/d ratio and so on... are statistical facts that speak for themselves. But it is not a reason to speak as if the whole class is messed up.

IMHO, the biggest factor in favor of LA is C4.
    C4 has been removed from infiltrators because it would have been too easy for them to blast opponents with it.
    C4 is, in the fact, almost even more easy to lie down with LA, but they still can use it.

As a result, C4 has been nerfed down again and again, at the detriment of the other class, when there is only one class that could really abuse its power.

C4 could be removed from LA. However, not without giving them a replacement tool to preserve the fun of playing this class.
    Either somethings as powerful than previous version of C4, but more difficult to lie down for LA... or something as easy to lie down, but slightly less powerful (mines perhaps?)
    • Up x 2
  10. Tuco

C4 fairies and Liberators flying upside down are 2 of the lamest things in PS2.
  11. Moonheart

Well, a thing that most people don't know about C4 is it's a VERY stable explosive.
    C4 doesn't detonate if being cut, pierced, crushed or even being thrown into fire.
    It requiers a strong explosion or the action of it's specific detonator to blow up.

So, change could be made so that any damage disable it without explosion (detonator is destroyed, so C4 cannot "detonate" anymore), and make that any "fall" longer than 1s damage it.
    It would not be illogic.
  12. Copasetic

lol, what? Using a shotgun puts me right into the middle of enemy infantry, that's not where I want to be as LA because I'll die in no time at all. If I want to farm K/D I'll fit a silenced carbine with an ammo belt and find some perch somewhere high up to shoot from. I also won't bother with C4 because the 1 or 2 kills I'll get with it are not worth the danger required to put myself in a position to use it. But that play style is boring so I'd rather not farm K/D at all.

The one exception to these things are towers, but those are a farm for all involved. From the tanks shelling all the entrances, the libs carpet bombing all the entrances, the Scatmaxs, the infiltrators suiciding with prox mines and HAs running around with shotguns, conc grenades and their I win shield. They're awfully designed bases and everyone is guilty of farming them.

In fact LA is the worst class to farm K/D with because they're almost never revived. The ingame and SOE player stats (which I guess are the ones most people care about) remove a death when you're revived, which makes the stat meaningless anyway.
    • Up x 1
  13. Shinrah

C4 is one of the most fun tools in the game, and it´s also not as easy to use as people seem to think. How often do you think an LA dies while trying put C4 on an MBT for example? Theres tuckloads of stuff that can go wrong, either the tank drives away, the gunner or driverf notice you, infantry notices you, hell last time a Reaver airhammered me while I was trying to drop on a tank.

Also, how many people have you seen with C4 auraxium? I´m playing since launch, I´m avid user, and I´m still some kills away. If LA + C4 is cheesy then what are HA with 100 round clips, a shield, also C4, AV grenades/Conc grenades and Rocketlaunchers?

It´s a problem that most players seem to think an FPS is a two dimension game, and while they´re spamming their LMG´s and RL´s cba to consider that the rooftoop ahead might not be empty and that occasionally looking up would prevent certain death. You don´t even need 100% awareness, if every non-LA player would occasionally look around the deathrate of LA´s would rise dramatically.

I´ve had 20+ killstreaks on airtowers where I was the only player of my empire on the tower, and I repeatedly killed the same guys over and over, and none of them bothered to check wether I´m still there, and where I might be coming from. No I kill a BR 95 sniper, 15 seconds later he´s standing at the same exact spot looking through his optics without a care. I kill some AV Mana Engi, 15 seconds later hes back. Most people aren´t paying attention. If an LA kills me on a tower that is 99% in our hand then I go looking for him, and I sure as hell wont stand at the exact same spot a couple of seconds later without having made sure the guy died meanwhile.

Complaints like these are absolutely incomprehensible for me. But then again I´ve been playing FPS when games like Quake, UT, Tribes etc. were all the rage and people were used to looking in more directions than just straight ahead.
    • Up x 1
  14. Aegie

1) They made jetpacks plenty loud. There was a point where the thrust sound (when you initially pressed space bar) was so loud that it gave me headaches after playing for about a half an hour. Guess what? Even during this time there was no appreciable change reported on the forums or from my personal experience in terms of effectively functioning as a crutch for battlefield awareness.

2) C4 cannot be thrown the way people like to think that it can- even with momentum it will not go that far unless you are very high in the air and that is not a good idea for cheap kills because it is much harder to tell where it will land. In other words, the people doing what you have a problem with are usually dropping the C4.

3) Yes, absolutely- LAs need buffs not nerfs, they historically have been one of the least used and least scoring classes in the game. Yet, I find it strange you would be advocating for a tool that would increase the ability for LAs to be sneaky in the very ways you seem to be against.

4) Shotguns are fine IMO and changing them because of a few LA players does not make sense to me. Yes, OHKs can be annoying but I do not think changes to the shotgun would alleviate your woes unless they made shotguns really bad and it is often just as easy, if not easier, to achieve the same results with an SMG.

I do not really love or hate your ideas but I would question why you find LA to be so problematic when we have classes that can revive an infinite number of people, classes that can provide an infinite amount of spam, etc. Again, historically, LA has been among the least used and lowest scoring classes in the game and I think this is for good reason.

All other classes have way more tools available to them and a lot of stuff specific to that class- not so for LA. Moreover, while jetpacks can be fun and are sometimes effective- while in use you are helpless and very visible (cannot say that for any other class ability) and while they are not in use you are less than any other class in the game. Finally, the vast majority of meaningful locations in the game (cap rooms, gens, etc.) are inside doorways and inside buildings where jetpacks are just about 100% useless. Sad to say but LAs have to camp to be worth very much because that is all that SOE will allow them to do in this game. They should be able to fight while airborne so they would not have to rely on perching so much. They are hardly the problematic class in the game- they offer no revives (spam), no ammo (spam), no RL (spam) or push-button HP, no push button invisibility and the only OHK weapon is a crap shoot and can only be used at <5m distance (unlike the class that gets both push-button invisibility and OHK out to render distance weapons).

More LAs, more fun to play LAs, and more tools/options for LAs would be the best thing for this game if only it helps cut down on the number of players using the other classes that rely less on skill/positioning and more on push-button power from class specific tools/gimmicks. More LAs would mean less spam in general (fewer engineers), less revive-based stand-off grinds (fewer medics), less invisible OHK (fewer infiltrators), and less RL primary and push-button HP boosts (fewer HAs).
    • Up x 1
  15. Rovertoo

*friendship bricks
  16. Rovertoo

I would not say that's fact at all. For every good 10+ killstreak you will die 3 or 4 times trying to get up to the perch, and other classes have much much better K/Ds consistently mostly because they can get revived, LA's rarely do. I don't have any stats, but if you look at all the highest K/D players in the game, I can almost guarantee you they aren't using LA.
  17. Shootybob

C4 being a straight down drop would be fantastic for c4ing tanks with higher precision. I could kill things from much higher up.
  18. Lethal_Sting

Yeah funny how they ask for that, in reality that would just make "c4 fairies" that much more dangerous.
  19. hostilechild

LA in a tower are just nasty. LA are fast and can move vertically up/down rapidly. With many levels and lots of corners they can hit and run like no other. They shoot, run its hard for the second person to get enough shots to kill. They can hang out on the outside ledges and heal and refuel jetpack. Some seem to move just a little too fast but put that on server lag.

But out in the open, most bases or especially while flying they are easy pickings. I have sniped a lot of them out of the air. With lmg even easier. They are very situational and require a lot of skill to play well.
  20. Kunavi

ShotGun puts me right into the middle of enemy, that's not where I want to be as LA.
    If I want to farm K/D I'll fit a silenced carbine with an ammo belt and find some perch.
    I also won't bother with C4.
    - You don't know how to make the most profit out of LA then. In fact, you don't know how to farm like a true MLGPro.

They're awfully designed and everyone is guilty of farming them.
    - It comes down to which class exploits it the most, easily, fast enough, with little expense.

In fact LA is the worst class to farm K/D with because they're almost never Revived. Revives remove a Death.
    - LOL at the first sentence. As for Revives, I've yet to see them actually keep your KD from going down. It's really only for the session Stats, you do not get a -1 Death. Your KD will go down.

C4 is one of the most fun tools in the game, and it´s also not as easy to use as people seem to think.
    - No, it is. I tried it and it's ridiculously easy. Of course with the amount of horrible players around I can understand some of them thinking it's hard or complicated. It's not fun, unless you're a Troll.

Also, how many people have you seen with C4 Auraxium?
    - You'd be surprised.

It´s a problem that most players seem to think an FPS is a two dimension game. You don´t even need 100% awareness, if every non-LA player would occasionally look around
    - It's not 2 dimensional, even in RL people can go up to roofs and fire down from there. But they work for it. They don't keep Space pressed. On the way they will be challenged, as it should be. I do look around, but C4 and Shotties are so sudden and random and can be thrown in such a way that even LOS is not required, only knowledge of the broken Base design and muscle memory.

...And none of them bothered to check wether I´m still there, and where I might be coming from.
    - Check above, too random, crap design, other threats around, ETC ETC. This is not a solid argument. My whole session should not be about preventing your spazZz twitch InstaGib attacks.

Complaints like these are absolutely incomprehensible for me. But then again I´ve been playing FPS when games like Quake, UT, Tribes were all the rage and people were used to looking in more directions than just straight ahead.
    - I come from the same background, yet I find that it's counter arguments like yours that are absolutely incomprehensible.

I would not say that's fact at all. For every good 10+ streak you will die 3 or 4 times trying to get up to the perch, and other classes have much better K/Ds consistently mostly because they can get Revived, LA's rarely do. I don't have any Stats, but if you look at all the highest K/D players in the game, I can almost guarantee you they aren't using LA.
    - You're trying to go for the wrong perch. Go in, ShotGun, C4, go out. You seem to be doing it wrong, I am not surprised. No, nobody has better KD because of Revive because on the Stats page your Deaths still count and show normally. In other words, accepting a Revive is only if you want to grant XP to hungry Medics, stay with your isolated Squad or don't have a quick and safe route back to where you got slaughtered. There is no other reason to accept a Revive. LA is a very popular class among those who farm 24/7, there is no denying that no matter how boring YOU think KD farms are.

Oh well. This is like arguing about C4, ShotGuns, Air... You guys will defend your favourite tools vehemently so there is no point in discussing further, I mean, even SOE said they wanted to BUFF ShotGun range! There is no place for my line of thinking in PS2 hence no place for me to argue. Have your PS2 the way you want it :) More power to you. Just don't pretend it's logical.

EDIT : If accepting Revives COMPLETELY ERASED a Death and maintained your Stats(Not session) KD then if I create a new Character and always accept Revives, I'll end up with 1000000KD. Also, I never ever accept Revives(To me they are pointless especially where I mostly am and how I mostly play) and have 2+ KD on Players Page. I want to be able to see my actual worth even during sessions. It's the only Meta I've found in PS2 apart from UNLOCK ALL THE CRAP or just get Kills for the Kill God(AKA "Just Because" or "Nothing else to Do").