[Suggestion] Removing Sniper Sway

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Arcflare, Aug 13, 2014.

1. TheBlindFreak

All Vanu bolt action snipers have bullet drop. I'm beginning to suspect you don't have very much sniping experience.

----

And it's supposed to be hard hitting moving targets at range. But it isn't impossible, and the 5 or so seconds you have on your breath (even longer with the tier 3 implant) is more than enough to line up and make the shot on a sprinting target.

A little before I finished auraxiuming the Longshot, I was able to headshot running enemies at 100-300m fairly consistently. I'm working on the railjack now. I haven't quite gotten the delay mixed with the increased velocity down just yet, but I've made some good shots on running targets so far.
  2. AngersRevenge

Not removed. Just extended a little. I don't care what people say about hold breathe implant. Everyone and their dog has said that hold breathe mechanic should be extended before the implementation of implants. Just cause implants are in the game now doesn't mean the default mechanic doesn't need an improvement. It hasn't changed since before implants, and all arguments are still valid after implants.
  3. HlllBllly

4. MisterSlim

Do I think our sway should be totally removed? No.
    It lines up with the realm of real-life shooting. Especially since we cannot lie flat. I've done a moderate amount of competitive shooting in the real-world, and because of this, can vouch for the insane difficulty in keeping a high-zoom optic on point when unbraced or even kneeling. Breathing and muscle fatigue make things a lot harder than people realize. It may not sound too difficult to just hold something still, but doing so for any length of time makes things astronomically harder. Thus, the implementation of tri/bipods on firearms was introduced.

That being said, do I think we should be allowed a sort of deployable base or tripod to eliminate sway? Yes.
    Even being allowed to go completely prone would be nice.
    • Up x 2
  5. Merakov

On a days like these I lose all hope for humanity and the will to live
  6. Lection

look, if you don't want sniper sway go for a sniper with 4x or less scopes, with practice one can use them just as effectively at range as the guy with the extra zoom. Not trying to be an ***, it's just they have these sniper rifles so there wouldn't be these complaints, look around just a little bit in the VR room and you will find most the weapons you are looking for.
  7. Mustarde

I made this on basic sniping technique a while back. Not for veteran players, but for people like the OP who might be able to improve their performance with some fundamental technique tips.

This is what happens when you put a hold breath implant on a sniper rifle.

In short, we have absolutely no problems with current sniper mechanics. In fact, after the nanoweave changes, and removal of sway from the 1-4x scopes, I would say that they are perfect, and shouldn't be touched at all.
    • Up x 3
  8. Jawarisin

Judging by your posting here, I'd be ready to bet I've got more long range kills with a 4x scope than you have long range kills with your 6-12x scope.
    • Up x 1
  9. Zhakathoom

This is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time. Snipers have no problem headshotting me even before I get off a single shot in my AV mana turret. And that's from "a speck on the horizon" range. I have no chance at retaliation. The only marginal factor that keeps snipers ALMOST in check is that they occasionally miss a shot. This probably due to sway and the limited aim time.

Removing these factors would make snipers gods.

If anything I'd say remove hunter cloak so that at least these long range free-farmers are a bit more prone to retaliation.

- Z
    • Up x 1
  10. AgentRed

we must not let faction snipers chain smoke anymore because man do they have breathing problems most sniper can hold their breath for a long time but here. So please we must ban smoking for our snipers today.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rogueshadow

IMO scope sway provides a limitation for the sniper role as well as encourages good sniper play, because scope sway prevents infiltrators from having perfect accuracy (in the sense that wherever your cross hair is that where the bullet will go, depending on the range), it encourages good sniper play as most people who run out of breath re-cloak to prevent themselves from being spotted which allows them to stay alive longer as I have lost count of how many infiltrators I've killed with my Railjack who don't re-cloak after each shot. This is why the strait pull-bolt was recieving such a negative audience as veteran infiltrators know that with this attachment it encourages infiltrators to not re-cloak after taking a shot.

So if your having trouble playing as an infiltrator with a bolt-action try acquiring a non-moving target first, preferably an engi on a turret or another infiltrator who is also sniping (Spawn in large battles where you know there are large open areas). Firing on moving targets is a result of bad trigger discipline so try to limit yourself to stationary targets only until you become accustomed to the sniper your using ( Even the best snipers won't fire at a moving target unless its the only target). Equip the extended breath implants and try not to hold shift while you still don't have a target and only hold it when your cross hair is relatively near the target already and only take 1-3 seconds to refine your aim. With the best snipers a target at 200 m should be around the first two mil-dots so compensate for range. Other than that just keep learning from mistakes and don't get angered by death, just see what you did wrong and try to avoid it next time.
  12. Tykune

I always felt that my character had COPD with how short he can hold his breath. I can literally hold my breath for 30 seconds easy, and I'm not exactly a fit person.
  13. Reclaimer77

Sniping is perfectly balanced as-is. Making it easier would make it totally OP.

Seriously invisible snipers in this game are bad enough. You wanna be a killing machine? Go SMG infil with the rest of the monkey's.
  14. Marxsbeard

To be honest, if you can't get a headshot in the hold breath timeframe, you still wouldn't keep up with medic/eng even without scope sway. If you want CS style sniping, get the 4x basr. That's what I did when I still sucked (I was a AWP/scout god in the day). Once you can line up and headshot with the Tsar or equivalent fast, you can switch up to long range with minimal effort. You have no sway while moving the crosshairs, so line up, shift, adjust, decloak, fire. Hold Breath II and straight pull will give you the time for two sway free shots.

You won't beat out your engineer buddies until you start getting those double digit headshot kill streaks.
  15. Zapon

Stupid question here, how do you go about getting the hold breath implants? Just putting implants together and hoping it works through the crafting system? No way to ensure getting it, eh?(hang on, if you are getting kills through sniping, would that hand you a hold breath 1?(not that this matters too much as i'd be after a hold breath II or III)
  16. MarkAntony

It is pretty much luck based. But Implants aren't hard to come by. I had all tier 1 and tier 2 implants within a day. And i have all the Tier 3 ones i care about.

But no. There is no way to ensure getting a specific implant.
    • Up x 1
  17. AngersRevenge

While I love picking off Engies on turrets or repairing vehicles. That's the downside of having such a devistating weapon (turret). It is totally stationary. It is also 90% shielded on the front meaning that you have to be looking in the snipers direction for him to get a head shot. Unless he is behind you then any class can do the same. A small turn will shield the Engies completely (from the front) and prevent a headshot.
  18. Zhakathoom

Except that the AI mana turret is just a close range uzi, making you free kill for just about any infantry class, not just the sniper, while the AV turret on the other hand is not shielded at all..

I run around trying to place the turret like a madman waving a "free kill in a minute" banner, only to finally find a spot for my turret so that I, at the hands of any random sniper, can fulfill my prophetic destiny.. Again, and again, and again.. It's a joke..

- Z
  19. Takara

I have a sniper rifle with a x2 scope...use it alot....almost Auraxiumed

When it is a HARD TO HIT TARGET.....it shouldn't be easy...

I don't have a problem reliably hitting ranged targets with my sniper...the Vanu sniper's actually have bullet drop by the way. I usually do better with the default NC rifle on my alt. It is pretty awesome right out the box. If you are complaining that removing sway will add more skill to the game. Then you are really just speaking from a point of pure ignorance. That said...I usually don't have a problem hitting people even with normal sway at medium long distance...it is only extreme distance that makes it hard. Just put more time into infiltrator and you will get better at it.
  20. Takara

Uh...I would disagree. They sniper has the ability to kill people without as much risk of harm. They can sit back and kill plenty of people before they even get close enough or know they are there. They get plenty of EXP I don't notice any less EXP as a infiltrator over my LA or HA when I decide to snipe
    • Up x 1