[Suggestion] Tankers pls chime in -- for better zoom optics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FBVanu, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Tuco

*pats my 88 with 12x zoom*

[IMG]

I kills you from 2.9 KM away.
    • Up x 1
  2. Pouk3D

So... you're saying things shouldn't get improved, in such a way that it's truly buffling it's not in the game from the day one, simply because you're used to it as it is. Sounds reasonable ...I mean arrogant.
  3. AshHill07

I use x1.75 Zoom ... I can accurately and reliably shoot targets at ~1,000 meters ... why would I need more?
  4. Pouk3D

1000 meters? In what game?
  5. Flag

Interesting, as the only targets that render at 1000 meters would be the liberator and galaxy.
    Or should I say, that's when they start to render on a good day.
    Tanks de-render at 800.
  6. AshHill07

I dunno, maybe the one I'm commenting on the forums of?

I've never needed to go beyond mark 3 above the target ... ever.
  7. Flag

Besides the rendering problem I mentioned above, a 1 KM shot would take you 3.6 seconds. A lot can change in that time.
  8. AshHill07

Didn't say I ever hit moving targets ... I just said the weapon is accurate to that range with the current optics available. And as you pointed out, its pointless to shoot further than that anyway given the render limitations.

The only thing I think really needs changing, as previously mentioned, is the scale of the optics between zoomed in and not. When you zoom in the zeroing scale should remain the same.
  9. Pouk3D

Alright, let me repeat it in a blunt way then: You're not hitting targets at 1km. You may think you do, but you don't. Not in this game.
  10. Flag

... honestly, you can't just base it on the ability to hit something stationary. That's too easy to serve as any benchmark.
    Also, it's not that it's pointless to shoot at targets that are further than 1km away, it's not possible.
  11. Alarox

Me disagreeing with you doesn't justify getting upset and insulting me. Do you want to have a discussion or not? I'll assume you do:

Who is this change meant for?

-----------------------

- Experienced Player: Doesn't need this and is forced to relearn the marks.

The marks have been the same way for two years, meaning people who use these weapons enough to care know the current marks like the back of their hands. Changing the markings doesn't help us. It is just a hassle.

- Average Player: Won't even make use of this.

The average player won't be making the connection in their heads "okay my target is at 175m but he's slightly above me, so if I aim at the X mark my shot will connect". The average player just uses the lines for estimating the drop and learning muscle memory.

- Even if we assume that people will try to make use of this feature... how will this be a significant change?

If I'm aiming at a faraway target then I'm zooming in. If I'm aiming at a target up close I don't zoom in. I don't need my non-zoom to mirror my 2x zoom. Is this meant to help people who swap between zoom levels on their loadouts? I don't know a single person who does this. Everyone I've met has a preference for a specific zoom.

------------------------

So I ask again, who is this change meant for?
  12. Flag

When you say it like that, it is kinda amusing when I do land an FPC shot on a target that's 300+ meters away on first try. ;D
  13. Alarox

I've shot down aircraft at ~1000m before. In such cases I know it was ~1000m because I either counted the seconds or because they were so far away that terrain and other vehicles behind them stopped rendering. Hitting a tank/Sunderer up to their render distances isn't impossibly difficult either as long as they're stationary, but their render distance is short of 1000m.

You're right in that he's overestimating the ranges he's hitting targets, but hitting targets at such ranges in this game is definitely possible.
  14. warmachine1

The numbered sights would be GREAT!
    Together with laser rangefinder cert.
    • Up x 1
  15. warmachine1

When WWII tanks have better sights u know u are screwed!
  16. Odamit

Render issues aside, I don't think really it would be feasible to extend the range beyond 2x, or at the very least to 4, 6 or 8x levels.

I think it would feed on players getting tunnel vision trying to shoot / pick off targets farther than what can be reasonably shot at with 2x zoom. Eventually at those extreme ranges you'd be limiting yourself to where you could fully utilize it. Probably best on Esamir then Amerish, Indar and then severely limited use on Hossin. I'd totally see head on fights just happening at a longer distance dragging on longer because it'd be easier to dodge incoming shells to hide and repair.

I'd rather that they tweak the reticules a little bit so that in quicker paced fights I'm not trying to walk shots on a target because I can't easily remember which segment the cross hair was on when I did land a successful hit. Or that we get a sensitivity slider for zoomed in shots.
  17. AshHill07

But surely this is the only real benchmark you can use for a sight, unless you're suggesting some kind of elaborate system to predict hitting targets in motion, which I'll be all for, I just think it may be a bit elaborate for the game system we're working for.

Also, surely it is pointless to shoot at targets that its not possible to hit ... I mean ... if you know you definitely cannot hit them, why waste the ammo? That said I still shoot at ESF's at about 400 meters ... still never hit them unless they're flying incredibly slow ...
  18. Flag

Maybe in real life.
    But in game, no. The ability to land reliable hits on moving targets is the useful number.
  19. Pouk3D

First off, how is this an insult? I said it sounds arrogant and it does. Tell me it doesn't. -Technically, I didn't even say that you're arrogant, just what you said is. What you said is arrogant by definition, you don't see it? But it's not an insult, wasn't meant that way, it was a counter.

The answer: Well both. Yeah you say you pros don't need it and I'm actually genuenly convinced that you don't, but if such change would take place, you would adapt quickly, I'm sure of it.
    But it's mostly for the average player. If you think about it, not having this feature is objectivelly r*tarded (forum apparently filters this word). Sorry but it is. Truly stupid, counterintuitive, against any common sense, against the real life usage...

Knowing where your shots will land from the range lines is the whole damn point.

For a moment I'm asking you not to justify a resistance to change by a learned skill over the period of 2 years. I know that sounds almost equaly counterintuitive, but please try to be objective and look at it from a fresh perspective.

I could say I'm an experienced and average at the same time, so I can see it from both camps. I was an AV Magrider with something above 9K vehicle kills (yeah, not as good as you, but not a beginner), now I'm trying my luck with Vanguard and I'm probably not nearly as good at aiming as I should be. On my Mag I exclusively used Thermal. You know that tank moves a lot, so having zoom on something that needs to stay mobile and can bump into rocks left and right made no sense to me, but that's just a personal preference. Now on a Vanguard that's another story, I'm certing my zoom, I'm currently on 1.75 and with each upgrade the things change. But I don't want you do make an impression that I'm annoyed because I haven't finished my zoom upgrades yet, that's not the point. Anyway you can say that on a Vanguard I'm that average player.

You said that average player won't make the connection in his head. I'm sorry, but do you really believe this? If you do, that might be the core of your dissaproval. Because frankly that's an utter nonsense, people aren't that stupid. If you have range lines and you allign your target to a second line from the center, then you zoom in and you see that target still alligned to that second line, there's literally no way someone wouldn't get the concept. And it does help. Not only that's normal in other games, so no one would be perplexed by this "futuristic" idea that's common on bloody t-72s, but it actually, contrary to your believe, does really help.
    If your average player or a completely fresh soul gets consistent information throughout the whole scale, wouldn't you agree that that consistency makes it easier for the poor guy? And even if he doesn't know the range and we don't have these 100m marks, he has some learned range estimate in a zoom-out mode, so he could land that critical first shot into someone's back more surely, no matter what zoom level he dives into the next second.

I mean it's objectivelly better. No let me correct myself, it's not even a question of being "better" after implentation, it's a question of being needlesly bad and below standards as it is now. After upgrade, it would raise to "normal".
    • Up x 1
  20. reydelchicken

It's better to have a consistent crosshair across weapons, other weapon crosshairs scale when you zoom in, I don't see why the tank crosshairs shouldn't?

Besides, even if you're basing your shots on muscle memory instead of visual guides, it's still useful to keep the guidelines consistent across zoom levels, since this makes it easier to readjust aim when you zoom since you can use a guideline to keep your shot aligned, instead of having to realign your shot if you zoom as it is currently.