The Valkyrie is not viable without 6 seats.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by gnometheft, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SevenTwo

I can't speak for its value as an attack craft, but conceptually I do think it could have some value over a galaxy if you primarily look at it as a rapid insertion vehicle for deploying soldiers to hard-to-get-to places.

For instance, if you need to move soldiers quickly into position to make a Lancer Nest, it might be better suited for having a smaller profile and thus be less noticeable than a Galaxy would be. When joined with a deployed sunderer, it might also better serve as a ferry to get troops from a protected position and into the frontline quicker than a Galaxy would, as taking off and landing or even finding a place to land with one can be tricky at times.

Not saying that this is in fact the case with the current build, but that's the main niche I think a vehicle like the Valkyrie would fill, when there are better alternatives for both full out assault and full out transportation.

I could see it in a role of "mobile firebase" though, but that'd require at least Bulldog equivalents on the side mounts or something along those lines, as the craft would need powerful enough weapons to warrant its paper tiger status compared to the Galaxy.
    • Up x 1
  2. SULFERIX

I think the valk should have 2 more seats, but why not put a tail gun and/or top gun on it? right now its a floating cert cake for esfs, which can easily get behind the valk and take zero damage in an engagement. it has no chance against any air or ground unit. I think it needs more vertical thrust power, and more weapon hardpoints. frontal gun just isn't enough. it definitely needs an armor buff, especially to esf and lib weapons which tear it up in 1-2 mags of a nose gun. not to mention 1/2 of a tank buster clip. the vehicles defined role is fast attack transport, so it needs defense against its superior counterparts. if this vehicle doesn't get anymore weapon hardpoints, the pilot AT LEAST needs some sort of air to air weapon.

-Sulferix
  3. Whiteagle

This is exactly why I'd want the two extra seats to be internal, not Rumble.

Indeed, the Valk is basically a troop Elevator, taking non-Light Assaults up and over obstacles.

I like that it's weak right now...
    I'd much rather have the Valk start weak and be buffed into the right spot then for it to have too MUCH health and get the nerf bat like the Harrasser.
  4. Forrest Glenn

please SOE I was so excited to hear that this airship could transport a fireteam, but in its current state, it is useless.
  5. Lacrosix

100% agree just does not feel rite with 4 seats - must have 6 seats
    with 2 optional side turrets!

Think UH-60 Transport/Support - it will not last long up there anyway with all EFS/Libs, rockets, skyguards, small arms fire......feels really weak rite now, looks strong/bold but damn! weak!

Its fun flying in it! needs tad more SPEED!!!
    • Up x 1
  6. VonStalin

it is pointless vehicle, stop discussing about it. Ppl will try it for a week and will forget anyway.
  7. biterwylie

Everyone said from April 11th 2014 when the Valkyrie was announced that it would require a crew of six and that rumble seats would be ineffective. It will require vehicle mounted machineguns (Huey style) as a minimum for the crew other wise the Lib and Galaxy will always be a better choice.
    • Up x 1
  8. SevenTwo

We should stop discussing the features of a vehicle currently on the Test Server, because it's doomed to fail when it's released anyway?

That makes no sense .

The point of having a discourse about the vehicle is to make the development team aware of what our current thoughts are, where their ideas are found lacking and what could be done to make it more viable so it doesn't fail, as you obviously, in your wisdom, has already foreseen it will.
    • Up x 1
  9. VonStalin

it has many problems to start with. Needs to be changed pretty much everything, from number of passengers from cockpit clutter to how it looks and so on.. And I still don't see a niche for it in the game - if someone wants to travel by air takes ESF, if someone wants to fight A2G with friends takes Lib, If wants a transport for more ppl without dying on the way - takes Gal. Valkrie is not a Comanche helicopter enough and a lot has to be done to get there, so much in fact that entire vehicle should be redone... But anyway, at least they are trying. Strange, that seems they are not playing the game themselves.
    • Up x 1
  10. SevenTwo

Well... Yeah.

But SOE is hell-bent on putting it into the game, so we might as well try influencing the progress by at least stating what's wrong with the thing. The above feedback is a lot more useful than just "nope, it will fail" anyway, and hopefully someone will take note of it.

And for the record, I agree - the Valkyrie's got problems in its current state and that needs to be addressed. It needs to do one thing really, really well and have some misc utility on the side, both which preferably sets it apart from the other air vehicles. Otherwise we'll end up with another Harasser, which doesn't really have a proper place in the game beyond being a pain in the ***.
    • Up x 2
  11. gnometheft

Just wanted to say it seems as though the devs want to test its 4 person carrying ability on live servers, but they are keeping 6 in mind and may change the valk to 6 (2 internal) based onblive tests. This seems like a great option! Keep 6 in mind, i don't think my opinion will change with live tests, but we shall see!
  12. DxAdder

Six passenger seats is fine, but it would have to lose the rumble seats.
  13. Tanelorn

I strongly agree with the OP. As a member of a teamplay focused outfit, we all have felt that a mid sized troop transport is severely lacking!
  14. DarkVoidBoy

I think the 5th and 6th seats being passenger-only (not rumble) would be perfect, and would prefer it to allow MAXes in those seats. That doesn't disrupt its firepower balance at all, gives a lot of flexibility for roles, and keeps it a risky/fragile option compared to Gals.

Also, since the current PTS flight handling has been confirmed as basically, "working as intended," I don't think it can be considered a rapid insertion vehicle unless perhaps you're counting on it being pulled from more places than a Gal can.
  15. [BWC] Sgt USMC 5711

I would very much like to see an additional 2 passenger capability in the Valkyrie.

If we would need to chose between 4 seats (current) vs 6 seats without rumble capability, I'd want to understand why or what those tradeoffs were.

A 6 seat capability would allow for highly specialized anti-armor drops and for coordinated assaults against clustered enemy spawn points.

I would also like to see some sort of a stealth/cloak ability, for which I'd give up the chin gun, 2 seats (out of 6) or both, if necessary for balance purposes.

I'd also love to see a much higher maximum speed, and the addition of a built in afterburner, or at least the option to add one.

As I said on reddit, I'm holding onto 8-9k worth of certs to pour into this once it hits live.
    Please make it interesting and distinctive, and use the lessons learned from the introduction of the Harasser to make this a great vehicle release.
  16. Ash87

Link

This is relevant.
    • Up x 2
  17. iller

4 people is enough....

...you give it any more potential seats, and you'll only make it an even bigger TARGET. You guys aren't thinking about this in player psychology terms. Think back to this spring where Libs took like 200 shots to kill and MOST of them only had 1 pilot and 1 gunner. That was too much work for 2 lousy kills ... who might not even GET killed b/c they still had plenty of time to land the damn thing and bail safely on the ground then redeploy if you came back around to search the wreckage. Hell in a lot of cases they had time to log out like "daddy". That's an example of the ANTI-Pinata... just like Vanguards were before everyone cried like a ***** until those were nerfed from the lowest performing MBT to the lower-est performing one.

Face facts, this thing's #1 selling points is being CHEAP TO PULL so you can get 3-4 ppl somewhere together faster than 4 flashes would get them there ...iow: 250 resources... I don't even remember when MAX SUITS were that cheap!. (were they ever??). So as a general rule, it can't be any "tankier" than a Harasser. In Short. it's a Glass Bus, the complete opposite of a Lib. People will not ignore something like that. They will stop EVERYTHING they're doing and go for that EasyFrag-Pinata. And not just ESFs, but also Libs, Skyguards, HAs, Bursters, Ramming-Galaxies, even Harassers themselves will try to chase these things down for easy kills.

The fact it COULD be holding up to 4 players makes it a death trap as it is.
  18. Tanelorn

If you're worried about it being a death trap, don't get in. Let the rest use it for the role we so desperately need: a fire team sized armed transport.
    • Up x 1
  19. iller

Not only am I never getting in one, but I'm counting on farming them until no one else ever gets in one again either
    I'm just trying to give everyone else a fair warning in the name of sportsmanship
  20. Jeffrey94

I for one can see the value in spreading your men across more vehicles. Eggs and baskets, you know the saying.

Plus, if it's faster than a gal and has more firepower, so much the better.