Is PS2 a mindless Zerg game whit no tactics ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darkraver, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Darkraver

Hey all

I donno how u feel but this game is just mindless Zerging IMHO .

No tactical things to do like in the original PS 1 .

Like gen holds or taking down base ability's ....

I think that this game needs more tactical game play instead of zergthis zerg that .

Or am i wrong ???
    • Up x 1
  2. Tommyp2006

No, it's just filled with mindless players.
    • Up x 4
  3. Crator

Wait a minute, there are SCUs and shield generators in PS2... Then there's the Resource Revamp that should add more tactical game-play as well...
  4. Darkraver

Shield gens are nothing compared whit the generators in the original game . Genholds of a tech plant whit your outfit really could give your empire a extra push in winning a fight becouse the enemy could get tanks ,

Or drain a base on a lockt continend to start a fight

that kind of gameplay / tactical thing i really mis in PS2

its missing ingame depth
  5. HadesR

As it currently stands the title hits the nail pretty much on it's head ..

We just hope that the systems that might make the game less shallow and a little deeper are not to far in the future .. Because the " phase 1's " of certain features have only made the game more shallow .. not less ..

Fingers crossed ..
    • Up x 2
  6. DQCraze

You can do tactical stuff till the zerg comes then you leave and do it over again. Either way you are doing the same thing over and over. There isn't anything new you can do that hasn't been seen before. So as far as getting creative with tactical game play that's a no again.

Basically we are watching reruns of our favorite show.
  7. Velicc

You're not entirely wrong. There are zergs, but that doesn't mean there isn't a group of experienced players somewhere else getting the same results, with far less pop.

And I sincerely hope that by zerg, you don't mean a 5% pop advantage. A 48+ 75% vs 25% 48+ IS a zerg.

Lastly, I do agree that the current state of the game lacks a bit of tactical gameplay, it feels like you have to force it to make things happen.
  8. MrMackey

short answer is yes it is.. used to be a lot more tactical b4 lattice. tho a lot of these newer ppl didnt see the way this game was.
    now everyone gets locked onto 2 continents and the zerging is basically forced.
    • Up x 1
  9. Captain Kid

The only tactics are:
    - Get a Tech plant, capture enemy Tech plant
    - Capture a whole continent.

And sometimes it's smart to choose which base you want to hold and which one you want the enemy to have.
    (I've seen this once work during one of the old alerts, the enemy started attacking each other once we gave the base to NC. Freeing our troops to capture a lot of bases and win the alert)
  10. Tommyp2006

Those aren't tactics those are strategies. Tactics are smaller scale. It's what you do when you get there not where you are going.
    • Up x 4
  11. Crator

Let me guess, the base was a Bio-Farm?
  12. Acaloth

There are outfits doing tactics and strategy....but there is also a lot of players just trying to kill stuff.....
    The thing is that you don't really see which is which....just having a lot of people at one spot doesn't mean that there is no strategy involved.
  13. Captain Kid

Ah. I always get those two confused. But I think the OP also meant strategies then.
  14. Darkraver

lets say we want more of bots tactics and statagie's , More Ingame depth thats wat we all want rite ?
  15. Captain Kid

Not sure. We were attacked by both VS and NC. Then "command" (with the old alert system there was some kind of rudimentary command system in place. gone now obviously) decided we should give up one base to the NC and reinforce the other base against the VS.
    The VS (normally VERY tenacious) finally gave up and when the NC got our base the VS started to attack them. For over an hour at the same base. So we could easily capture many NC and VS bases.
  16. ShoeFlipped

I don't think its really a flaw with the game, but rather the people playing it. I will never understand why people bring full platoons (notice how that is plural) into a fight that is already well over 100+ vs 100+ when both sides have dozens of tanks/aircraft. Seriously, spread out across the continent people you're doing no good congregating in one region (inb4 "but teh kill farmz!!1!").

I still think "ghost capping" needs a fix in some way, the ones doing the ghosting get bored having no resistance so they leave for bigger fights - and the ones that should be defending take one look at the numbers, for example 24-48 enemies 0 friendlies, and say "NOPE, POINTLESS" and avoid the region like the plague to again join the bigger fights.

And as far as tactics go the only "tactic" that I ever see, if you can call it that really, would be c4 fairies and engineer suicidies charging AMS sunderers with tank mines. Everything else seems like mindless kill farming while putting minimal effort towards objectives.
  17. DaMann22

I think you mean you are looking for a meta game. Otherwise I can come up with a few scenarios where tactics are involved. Some times my outfit like to go out in a single sundy full of maxes/HA to take out anything we come across. We try and bait lone MBTs, ESFs, and Liberators to go after us then we blow them away. Or we do the same fun just on foot going from warpgate to warpgate. Other times we have gone around setting up ambushes against the enemy zerg using real world strategies.

You just have to find a group that gets you and what you want most from this game. Many "zerg-like" outfits off that exact experience that many want in nothing but zerg vs. zerg fighting. Others want to keep it mostly professional with military-like precision.
  18. SenEvason

Tactics, not really. That's completely up to the players, and it can be as simple as taking a few buddies to flank, or setting up MBTs to protect your Skyguards in the back.

Strategy, however, is severely lacking. There are very few things in game that hold strategic importance, such as the Tech Plant for tanks, and capping a continent to reduce vehicle costs. I expect this will be added later on, and the resource revamp will assist in that.
    • Up x 1
  19. NinjaTurtle

Mostly yes

The game caters to zerging. The lattice endorses zerging. It concentrates the populations into a handful of lanes and causes a mass of infantry.

There is little maneuvering for strategic base caps as you are pushed down lanes pre determined by the devs

The hex allowed more strategy but all that happened was ghost capping squads. People would go for the easy xp of base caps as opposed to putting up a fight. This made the lattice necessary and with it went the potential for real logistical tactical game play

This is true. DA are a perfect example on Emerald, I have seen a small squad hold of 2 or 3x times their numbers.

A group of very talented players can obviously hold off the average Joe (me). But mostly you will find it is not these elite outfits making the difference but instead the zerg winning with sheer weight of numbers
  20. MasterCheef

yes. if you want to believe its so.

Its also a deep tactical and strategic game for those that want to believe that. see PS1.