Down with continent locking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halcyon, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Halcyon

This system is just bad.
    An hour of hard fighting on Hossin, taking multiple bases, lots of flag caps and kills, and at the end of it all during a raging Tech fight that was actually good, the timer runs out...

...and I get a piddly 17 certs. Whoopie. I can retire from fighting now.

This system halts a major fight that players are actually enjoying just so we get a pathetic portion of xp and certs and then the continent locks completely killing the fight?

Garbage. It's total and complete garbage. I would rather keep fighting and earn way more then 17 certs by NOT locking the continent.

You can keep your continent bonuses too.
    I would rather pay 3x the cost for equipment and be left alone to play on the continent I freaking choose.
    • Up x 5
  2. Leer

A large and vocal group of PS1 vets are going to hunt you down. Continent locking and the lattice lemming systems are sacred to them...something to do with meta first and game play second.
    • Up x 2
  3. Thardus

*FWOOOSH* "IMMA COMING FOR YA!"
    [IMG]

(Confession time. I was never actually certified to pilot one of these things.) :(
    • Up x 2
  4. HadesR

Agree with the OP in that they are the gaming equivalent of female tights .. Fun killers just when you get to the good part ..

They are also stupidly too frequent now ..

Alert on Amerish > Ends in Draw > 5 minutes pass > AMERISH ALERT ...

:rolleyes:

ATM it's just zerg after zerg moving from Hex to Hex and Continent to Continent following the Alerts like Locusts following the wheat
  5. volth

Takes 60% of the map to lock now lol
  6. Colt556

That's incorrect. Th current cont locking system is an immensely half-***** system that nobody wanted. I was one of those "PS1 vets" who cried endlessly for continent locking and I absolutely despise the current system. The way cont locking is SUPPOSE to work isn't through some arbitrary "lol you can't do anything here anymore" system like we have now. It's suppose to simply be one faction owns verything on this continent thus you have nowhere to spawn. You can still pull vehicles and people from other continents and travel through the warpgate. You were never suppose to be banned from going there, you just weren't allowed to spawn there or pull vehicles there.

If we had REAL continent locking I'm sure nobody would complain, or at least not many. Because say Hossin is locked. They'd just go to Indar, grab a tank, and drive through the warpgate back to Hossin and try to retake some territory. That doesn't sound bad, does it? Doesn't sound much different than losing any other base, right? That's because cont locking is suppose to be the exact same as capping a base. Each continent is suppose to be a hex and the continental lattice is suppose to string them all together as the enemy pushes you back to your home. However with no continental lattice and no sanctuaries you can't have a real cont lock system.

Basically, don't try to blame this on PS1 vets, they aren't responsible for SOE shoving in a half-***** system that's complete garbage. And again, I advocated STRONGLY for cont locks back in beta, and I hate this system, so let that tell you something about the situation.
    • Up x 12
  7. libbmaster

Oh, we are going to hunt you down.

Meta game is coming. Natines are Meta. Meta is love. Meta is life.
    • Up x 1
  8. p10k56

Yes Indar for ever!!!
    At least until Wallamir becomes Esamir again:(
    • Up x 2
  9. sternn58

The OP is heartless. Everyone knows that continent locking and the magical meta game will make players taller, smarter, and more attractive to the opposite sex. Do not stand between these good people and a potential love life. Some of them really, really need one.
    • Up x 2
  10. Halcyon

I'm not heartless, it's just the color of my hatred for this system.
  11. NoctD

This game had more of a meta game pre lattice, pre alerts and pre continent locking.

Back when it took 100% of the bases to cap a continent, capping a continent was actually something to be proud off. Especially if you could cap Indar which is always contested most times, and not ghost capping Esamir or Amerish.

Continent locking is probably not a bad idea - but the criteria to which it is attached - ie. alerts, makes it a total waste. Alerts are nonsense garbage and until the day SOE wakes up and realizes that no matter what they do, alerts will never make for a true meta game. Alerts are the true real abomination.

Get rid of alerts entirely. Make continent locking only possible during periods of mid-high server population, and change the criteria/benchmark to 100% of the bases in a continent.
    • Up x 4
  12. AgentRed

The problem I see with continent locking is that there is only 4 continents right now and when 2 contents get lock all those players are force to play on the others. It also limits the amount of people that can play . It was better on ps1 because had it a lot more then just 4 so yeah.
  13. Leer

Hello Me,

I wanted to tell me that we/I/us should try and write in a way that people don't get up setup. When talking about PS1 vets having influence it should be noted that they have experience in a game much like PS2 just more blocky and empty....so I guess not really like PS2..well the same but different. Anyway PS1 vets know a thing or two (but no more) about the game and that has weight.

I/you/us/we should also point out that even though we don't like playing like lemmings or zerging around the map there are those that do like it, some don't and some want to change it. Continent locking is process in flux so we should provide feedback for the supper intelligent, underpaid and overworked Devs. Most of all those Devs that, on occasion, hand out codes for sweet in game swag.

For the trolling types I "got wood" to stoke your fires!

Giberators are real-ish! (Now I can shoot you too!)
    lolpods still lol! (shooting through windows? How clever! Really I wasn't expecting that.)
    Tankers are infantry farmers with out situational awareness. (C4 fairy get you? Embrace your shame!)
    Maxes should only res as an LA after being killed. (can't rez a tank or ESF, why a max?)
    C4 should explode on death not disappear. (Dead man switch, this is the future)
    Sunder shield should be a bubble for spawn protection as well.
    Don't accept any purple freezes from Papa Vanu...just don't
    TR is actually the NSA. (did something just turtle?)
    Canada, the NC has a puck! (Go get'em)
    Oh, the "not so kill cam" is great for hunting down the noobs. (..and we said this was to help noobs. lol)
  14. Halcyon

I would think a crappy system that locks out 50% of the game's maps at any one time would generate a lot more talk than this.
    • Up x 1
  15. Colt556

I already explained the issue on cont locking. There's really nothing left to say. It's a ****** half-***** system rushed in because SOE wanted to appease the players without actually doing the work required. What's there to talk about?
  16. MasterCheef

i do remember when owning a continent felt like something to brag about.

right now, i think the system is kind of in a wonky transition stage. I can only hope that the devs know what theyre doing and have better plans for this current system.

right now the alert system doesnt feel so great. It was beginning to feel good and a natural part of the game, but right now it feels very unfinished. They dont feel "good" anymore. Theyre not too exciting when they start, and not too exciting when they end.

-but on the bright side, maybe its like a Bob Ross painting. looks great at first, then he does something that makes you think he totally screwed it up, then he finishes with a flourish and makes another great piece.
  17. Halcyon

How it can be changed? SOE has a track record of not doing anything unless the masses speak out.
  18. Colt556

SOE also has a track record of not doing anything, at all. It's fine to voice your displeasure and demand they do cont locking properly, but really all we can do is parrot each other endlessly as there's not much to say. We want proper cont locking, SOE wont do it because we aint got enough continents to do it and they take two bloody years to produce one continent, so it'll simply never happen.
  19. DatVanuMan

I have played PS1 for five years, and the only thing that didn't confuse me in that accursed game was the continent locking. It was pretty easy to learn, and it added a "total war" feel to the game, but nevertheless I still hated it.
  20. DatVanuMan

Spare him, O mighty BFR! He has done nothing but voice his opinion!
    • Up x 1