Anyone tips and tricks on how to improve your fps?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by M4gn1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. M4gn1

Hey forumside,

I have a question now we had the merge between Miller, my home server and Woodman.
    I'm used to having fps drops some times in large fights(200+) but those fights don't happen a lot so no biggie. But now there are more people on the server this is starting to get a real problem. Tonight during prime time we had both Indar and Amerish on max capacity which caused problems switching continents. This is not really the problem I want to share. The problem is in what Planetside advertises. Big battles. I took my reaver to the I believe Sungrey Amp station(north east) and when I came close my frame rate dropped to 4 and I got instagibbed. When on the ground I noticed why. There where over 500 people fighting in the amp station at the same time. I know it is over 5 00 because I came over with 2 other platoons and noticed the difference in the population %. There was no need for any recon devices or darts because when your frame rate started to go down from 15 to about 7 you knew the max crash was incoming.
    My question to you forumside is, how can I improve my frame rate ingame. I don't think downgrading the graphics will matter a lot in this case because I think the lag is caused by the amount of people sending information to the server and vice versa. Are there any tricks to improve your framerate or is everyone doomed from now on?

Cheers,
    M4gn1
  2. starlinvf

You NEED a strong CPU to deal with that. Having a good video card helps, but the bigger bottle neck is toward the CPU side.

If you have a good video card, use Ultra graphics settings (except shadows and AO) whenever possible. Low settiings will offload graphics work to the CPU, under the assumption the GPU can't handle it. Have at least 8GB of RAM.... this is more of rule of thumb for modern games.

Also, the slows aren't directly a bandwidth issue on the client..... its more to do with the volume of data it has to process per frame as the number of players in the area climb. You could theoretically save power by changing the render distance to 400m (just enough past infantry render to see terrain).
  3. Paragon Exile

Turn off shadows and disable smoothing.

Lower graphics quality by 10%

Doing the above, I go from 70 FPS to 220FPS
  4. SeanFree

Medium graphics, Ultra Textures (they don't compress down with Ultra) Low/Off everything else.
    My computer is crappy so I have render quality at 50% and the rez down to something by 720p.

Yes my game looks like crap but I get good frames :)
  5. Hatesphere

CPU is the most important thing when it comes to large battle and FPS in my experience.
  6. k3lt

It's not your experience, it's just a fact.
    I switched from Phenom II 955 (OC'd @ 3.8Ghz) to i5-4690, the difference is jaw dropping. On AMD i could drop below 15 fps even in medium fights and that's on low-medium settings.
    On i5-4690 homever i have maxed out everything and i yet have to see <30fps, and most of the time it's actually 50+ fps (v-sync on) and i encountered massive fights with 100+ people / vehicles already..
  7. M4gn1

I have intel core i5 cpu 650 @ 3.20 ghz and GeFore GTX 770 8gb ram
  8. Bassett

clean your cooling system
  9. Iridar51

Check out my performance guide, link is in my sig.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cest7

Kill your render quality slider.

Got to task manager and set Planetside2_x64.exe to high CPU priority.