I love the new resource system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SpiffyStuff, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SpiffyStuff

I can't wrap my head around all the hate this update is bringing.
    It's like the forum is filled only with people who hate it.

The directives give me a reason to shoot people besides just certs.
    The resources mean I can focus on 1 thing and get better at it.

The gameplay has changed for the better. Every battle I've been in now has been intense.
    Dedicated Sunderer drivers making sure theres always a sunderer up on an offensive. We blow one up and then
    they're coming from the other side in another, over and over.
    Lots of MAX's? Great! I'll pull my own and even the score, I thought there wasn't enough to begin with.
    I don't want easy mode, I like knowing that I might not be able to afford to throw this grenade willy-nilly and use my health kits if I'm already doomed.

I haven't posted in years, but had to show my love for the improvements.
    People just want to complain about the game, whether it's not changing, or if it's changing.
    The game needs to grow and change to survive, and right now I can't wait to get home from work and play.
    • Up x 11
  2. Elrobochanco

I was just about to make this post myself. New resources are great.

It resets things to a pretty equal footing, since being a BR100 doesn't mean you can waste vehicles twice as fast as a BR1. But the BR1s can now pull stuff however they like to learn the ropes.

Right now it's like a glorious free for all. If you aren't just spawning a tank and immediately driving into a hole you are not likely to be running out of resources.
    • Up x 2
  3. a-koo-chee-moya

What I like about it is the fact that its a step backwards, but in the right direction. Now, territory matters even less than it did before, but if they implemented the nanite mines and such that they were talking about, territory might count for something outside alerts, and players might try to run out of spawn now and again.
    • Up x 1
  4. LT_Latency

The problem is there was a 2 teir system before.

Strong but limited and Weak but spamable.

If everything is going to be spamable.......They need to do some rebalancing to one of the tiers
  5. Ash87

The resource system is a good first step.

Here is the thing about the backlash. Read down the front page, and count the number of differing opinions.

So far I've read the following "Facts" about the resource revamp:
    • It causes too many tanks to be spawned
    • It doesn't let enough tanks spawn
    • Infantry can't get ahold of grenades
    • there are too many max units
    • There are finally enough max units
    • Aircraft are now amazing because you can continually spawn them and focus on being a flyboy (Or flygirl)
    • It's Pay 2 win
    • It's not pay 2 win
    • Players cannot get the supplies they need
    • Zergs have too many supplies
    • tank battles are great now
    • tank battles are horrible now
    • The map has no spawned vehicles
    • the map has too many spawned vehicles
    • There are too many transports
    • There are finally enough transports
    There is no unified message about why it makes things bad. When you get something that is actually damaging to the game, the message is unified. When they dropped continent capture from 100% to 75%, there was no one who said: "Yep, this was a good idea." Likewise the reason for why it was a bad idea may have been approached from different angles, but it all boiled down to: "Why should I warpgate anyone, ever?" There are a few people on both sides who will hate every change or love every change, but when something is actually a problem you don't see this kind of scattered nonsense like you have with this.

Whether the people hating on this like it or not, the system is working as intended, and overall it seems to be working quite well.

That said, it wont -really- work until we get ants. If you think it's bad now, wait until that is introduced lol
    • Up x 2
  6. AshHill07

I am loving this new system.
    I am occasionally seeing new-ish players using vehicles that are completely useless at that given moment, such as solo Max's running around with no support. But they tend to die quickly.
    It is obvious to me as well that a lot of players have now started playing, and they are enjoying themselves since they get to try everything out and aren't punished too much for not being good.
    I'm also enjoying killing all these new MBT's running around, and hey, they kill mine a few times too, but I can get back into it after a good run if I want to.

And here's the most obvious thing I've noticed about myself.

I'm not rage quitting over being C4'd in my Vangaurd within 10 seconds of spawning anymore ...
    • Up x 2
  7. Lewk

I was going to make this same topic today, feeling a little let down by all of the negative responses to the new resource system. To be honest i was a huge critic of the resource system revamp when it first was announced, but now i am a believer.

The new system really allows players to play the game in the way they want to.
    For example, if you wanted to fly ESF before, you would find the continent with the most territory owned by your own faction, warp there, and either jump around in warpgate until the next tick, or go play some aspect of the game that you didn't really want to play right then, but you need something to do until you can actually play the part of the game you WANTED to play. So you get your resources, and you go and pull your ESF. Now, if you want to be able to pull another ESF when you die, you have to ensure that you stay alive for at least 5 minutes (if you have maxed acquisition timer). So often times i would just land my ESF in warpgate and grab a drink/check out reddit for a few minutes to make sure that i would be in "the cycle" for being able to fly for more consecutive sessions.

Now take that scenario and apply it to a new player/alt that did not have acquisition timer. That was just a nightmare. Even with 2 BR100s on VS/NC, i found myself never able to fly Mossie because the resources were random (was TR dominating a continent at the time or not when i logged in?) and the acquisition timer was so long that if i died, i had no choice but to log back over to NC or VS (remember, i just wanted to fly Mossie).

The old system just had 0 flow and 0 consistency. With membership + max acquisition timer + experienced play it wasn't bad, but for the new player it was confusing, restrictive, and heavily favored veteran players. The old system FORCED you to play the game in a way that you didn't want to play for as long as you were on timer or resource starved. With the new system that has been greatly reduced and you can spend your time in game playing the aspects of the game that you WANT to play.

The new system decreases the gap between veteran/membership players and new players.
    Previously the only players able to chain pull vehicles/maxes were veteran players with reduced acquisition timers. This meant that experienced players got more experience in their vehicle, and new pilots and drivers did not. With the new resource system everyone is on the same footing.

The new system decreases one faction dominated continents.
    We've all done it. We have all ported to a continent where our faction had 50%+ population simply because we wanted to "fill up on resources". While i am an advocate of benefits of territory control, the resource system was not a good system.

The new system creates more sustained vehicle/air engagements.
    How many times have you pulled an AV load out on your MBT, only to kill the enemy armor and find yourself with nothing but infantry left to fight? How often does the dual burster max you pulled actually have something to shoot at after the first 2 minutes? With the new resource system players are able to keep the flow of vehicles coming to create more dynamic / combined arms engagements.

The new system is much more understandable/user friendly.
    I have 5 other programmers at work that i got to play planetside 2. I was able to witness first hand how it was for these new players to start off the game. Each and every one of them did not understand the resource system and consumable items at first. The old system was confusing and non intuitive.

Honestly when it comes down to it, the new resource system does one thing: it makes the game more fun. It removes inhibitors and gives players MORE ways to play the game. Great change SoE, please don't listen to the complainers who are mostly complaining about their one aspect and aren't looking at what the new system does for the game as a whole.
    • Up x 2
  8. Hegeteus

I wonder if SOE will make changes to it.
  9. AshHill07

I'm sure they will, this new system is unusual for SOE in that, in my opinion, its worked perfectly first time.

So I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin it in the coming months.
    • Up x 1
  10. Archanor

The new resource system did indeed simplify things a lot. However, I think it may be a bit too generous, as I could spawn liberators left and right without any or little cooldown time.

I also happened to find a bug where I could resupply infinite grenades, where should I report this?
  11. WTSherman

Keep in mind that if you had a stockpile before the patch, that stockpile is still there. So until it runs out, your grenades are free.
  12. REndymion

Yep, you have a stockpile, it won't show you the amount, because stockpiling isn't built into the future system, but you have them.
  13. nubery

This is only the first step of the new resource system.

ANTS are next.

The game really is moving in a positive direction.
  14. HadesR

The game itself .. Which is maybe never a good thing ..

It might all come together with the other stages of the RR but Imo until that point it needs tweaking for less spammability ..

Granted it's all down to personal opinion but to me the ability to spam and chain pull vehicles / Max's cheapens and simplifies the game ( In the same way faster respawns do for infantry ) .. Killing and destroying has become even less effective and now more than ever it's just going to be numbers that count ..

Step backward ( for now )
    The other RR aspects need to be released ASAP ( and not in 3-6months time )
  15. PraetorGavorn

Yes, this resource revamp is great.

Yes, it does allow for MAX and vehicle spamming, but all sides get that, MEANING actual teamwork and strategy is required to break the rut when two blobs collide.

The people complaining on this forum just don't want to do anything more than solo and worship their K/D ratio. I've seen what PL's properly directing a force can do. Teamwork OP, don't nerf though.
    • Up x 1
  16. Alizona

1. The saying goes something like "A ******** sailor is a happy sailor". Some people are just born to *****.
    2. People who are happy never show up to proclaim it for all the world to see.

I said I'd wait and see how it works... and to me, it's working very well.

However, when I run out of my 40 C4's that I love so dearly and have to live with only 4 at a time... I might have a change of mind about it. :)
  17. RaiMarie

Hmm.. some like some do not like. I think that reason alone is based on his or her playstyle and "living time". If you pull a tank and die often afterwards, they probably are hating the system since they will have to wait a little to either pull a MAX or stock more nades, mines, or C4. Thing is, you had to wait a while with the old system too, even more so if your faction had almost no land. Otherwise, the people love the system since there is no more waiting for a while to pull another sundie or whatever if you got the resources. I said once in the game "SundieSide" since they are so cheap now. That and the vanguard are the only vechicles I even use anyways. I seldom pull a galaxy just to get to a hard to reach good sniping grounds, but not actually use it for combat since I hate flying as I sometimes run into a cactus on take off..... I have a lot of fun doing that though and hate waiting long periods of time to pull another sundie or galaxy.

In conclusion, people love the system for:

1) Pulling tanks, sundies, etc with no more cooldown timer. With max resources, you are given multiple "lives" in case you ran over a tank mine or something.
    2) Resources you rarely use (like air for peeps who don't like piloting) will no longer be wasted as everything is from 1 thing now. There are quite a number of people who fill this category which is why they are able to pull out a sundie, tank, max, etc more often now.
    3) You no longer have to worry about owning little to no land to get your resources. This is probably a main key benefit that the system was placed for.

People hate this system for:

1) Sundie spam. Simply put, you will see them everywhere now that they are much cheaper and only take 4 mins to resupply resources lost. Battle sundies will be the new thing.
    2) Those annoying birds in the sky will be tougher to keep down meaning more air play for those who are excellent air fighters that do not die often.
    3) Being TKed and lacking resources to pull another MAX or MBT. This problem existed anyways. There is very little that can be done to make it easier without unbalancing things more though.

Final conclusion, good job SOE. Now, just please nerf C4 lolz (meh as a sundie driver, C4 is not as big of an issue anymore though.) Oh, and unrendering shots are annoying too bleh...
  18. Inex

You say that like it's a bad thing.

This isn't like before where losing an ESF to a Lib means you're grounded for half an hour. You can "spam" your Libs, but they can pull ESFs just as easily to counter it. I can only hope people figure this out, as it might just eliminate spawn bombing entirely.
  19. Vortok

Generally, people don't call a customer service hotline to say "Your product is working great and I'm quite happy with it" because they're too busy actually enjoying the product.

I like how the new system looks so far, particularly in how it works for people that aren't/weren't interested in rotating through three resource pools and just focused on one area. Obviously income is super high atm because every base is running at 100% at all times. When Phase 2 and 3 are released and we have to worry about bases being able to be starved out it might calm down a little bit.
  20. Bape

Yup all though I think they need to increase all resources cost by 100 like maxes and tanks. Overall im happy with the revamp and hope forumside calms the **** down.
    • Up x 1