RPG changes a buff to T7 Mini-Chaingun??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Aug 4, 2014.

1. LT_Latency

Infantry RPG spam works best in huge battles, with narrow choke points and close ranges. This is also the bread and butter of the TR minigun.

RPG splash can often make getting to a doorway with full health and full spin a challenge and you are an easy target for RPGs while you are hosing them down after coming into the open.

Do you guys think the changes will improve how effective this weapon can be??
  2. RHINO_Mk.II

The most notable rocket changes will be a massive buff to MAX survivability. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of rocket damage to MAX units currently comes from the splash damage, and when it's nerfed.... expect stock maxes without Flak armor to survive multiple direct hits.

This is current damage values:
    [IMG]

P.S. Thanks to flanflanJP and MisterTwister22 of [RCN6] for assistance in testing this.
    • Up x 4
  3. HadesR

Not really .. Because I still fully expect door ways to be inundated with RL spam .. All that's changed is the splash , and considering how many people don't use Flak a direct hit will still OHK..

For places like Tower stairways it's still going to be a very good tactic to just spam the area considering splash will still kill injured players ...
  4. Casterbridge

That's not good to hear, Max Units don't need a boost, I'm fine with the nerf to splash for infantry but they need to find a way to tweak it so Max Units don't get a indirect buff.
    • Up x 1
  5. LIKE A BOSS!

Thanks for this. Time to brush the dust off my Max. Haven't played him since the ZOE days.
  6. KnightCole

Naw the whole idea behind nerfing the splash just needs to go away. I dont RL primary, but all this nerfing heavy weapons splash in this game is absurd...Might as well put all splash to 0...cuz its essentially useless otherwise.
    • Up x 6
  7. Drippyskippy

Was this tested on the current PTS? Is the image a result of direct hits on MAX units or actual splash damage? If its splash damage the damage in the graph looks almost exactly like direct hits on live (I run flak on my max (mainly pull for AA)), which may mean that the splash changes to RL's only affect infantry and not MAX's. I wanted this rocket primary nerf to happen to prevent boring/unskilled infantry encounters. I wrote time and time again in various rocket primary threads that rockets should only be nerfed against infantry and should stay the same against MAX's. I really hope SOE didn't screw this up.
  8. Axehilt

It's as much a buff to MCG as it is a buff to every CQC-appropriate weapon, which will all now win fights they previously would've been one-shot out of.

Personally I'm not convinced MCGs are unusually magical in a CQC role, and have been favoring the CARV-S with Extended Mags lately in CQC combat on my TR char.
  9. KnightCole

Wishful thinking much?

They mess this up, along with the part where Rocket Launchers will not reload after having fire them and somehow it will correlate to infantry terminals not resupply rocket ammo and grenades will not be able to be resupplied...
  10. OldCuban

Agreed, these changes won't stop the rocket primary players.

Nor will it stop the players that farm infantry with either aircraft or vehicles.

If anything, the changes are actually a slight buff to the TR Prowler. I can't wait to see how fast I reload after this goes live on my prowler with it's maxed out lockdown and HE rounds.

Slight max buff? Maybe, but at least this time it's an equal buff across all three factions and not just a faction specific buff like zoe used to be. I'll never gripe about buffs that benefit all three factions equally.
  11. Casterbridge

Honestly as far as the RL goes I don't care about the splash to much, I'd rather they buff back up the velocity and make the direct damage count for more, if nothing else offer a different round or rocket launcher type that does something like that.
  12. nightbird

Rather than splash, aren't they making it so a direct hit to flak 5 infantry won't kill with any rocket launcher?
  13. Drippyskippy

True, but at least reducing the splash radius and splash damage will force RP players to directly hit you with their rocket to kill you. Unless you are using rank 5 flak armor then they shouldn't be able to kill you at all with a rocket with full health/shields. I'm at least happy that SoE is listening, though I feel like this is only a first step to fixing the problem and not a solution to it. A first step is important though. However, i'm sure the prevalence of rocket kills will be reduced slightly overall against infantry players which in turn makes the RP issue not a big one anymore. I think in the end I feel this is a first step in the RP nerfs, but for SoE this is their end game. I've accepted that i'm not an easy person to please, but I won't really be truly happy until RP's become a non factor in infantry play.
  14. TypicaldiotNcPlayer

Roket launchers need even more of a nerf teh shouldn't be able to 1 shot infantry and remove splah.
  15. RHINO_Mk.II

16. DrButtes

I don't think it is going to change anything really. The only that will change is getting OHK when behind a corner. Rocket direct hits will still instant gib 90% of the players.
  17. Drippyskippy

So, you tested it on live then? You do realize the new rocket nerfs aren't on live yet. Also, doesn't answer my question if you tested splash or direct damage. The nerf that is happening to RL's is its splash damage and radius. If you did a "test" on direct damage to see if MAX's were affected by the new change, your test was flawed from the beginning. I guess this is why VANU are scientists and not freedom fighters. Will just have to test things for myself when they hit live tomorrow.
  18. RHINO_Mk.II

Please you brain. There's no way splash damage would be dealing that much damage alone, and splash damage across the board is 1000 damage currently. It is impossible for those values to be of splash damage only. In addition, unless the tests were performed in VR there is no way to get direct damage without splash damage. Since I thanked other players for helping me test, it is therefore impossible to have performed the tests in VR as FF is disabled.
  19. WTSherman

Honestly I'm not even sure where this "rocket primary" thing comes from. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually preferring their rocket over their LMG, and the only times I shoot a rocket at infantry is when I'm aiming at a vehicle and an enemy infantry pops around a corner in front of me. It usually doesn't work.

Sure, sometimes it gets me one kill and firing something does more damage than not firing anything at all, but usually the enemy has friends behind him and I still don't have time to reload or switch to my LMG. It's an emergency response, not a go-to tactic. Why are people even complaining about this?
  20. DatVanuMan

SOE logic, man. What is weak must be nerfed and what must be nerfed must have other things nerfed alongside it.