Can base Turrets also get the new Sundy shield ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Jul 31, 2014.

1. axiom537

Base turrets just like vehicles should allow players to cert into them and offer the player all sorts of different configurations. For balance issues this might cause, the player would need to set their turret load out at an infantry terminal, just like they would different load outs for there other classes.

There are all sort of cool things players could cert into. Such as a shield like OP suggests, Blockade, increase reload speed, increased Heat Sinks (longer firing time), Different ammo types, AP, HE Heat rounds. And the same thing could be done for the Anti-Air turrets as well, I would love to replace the flak for an AP round...
  2. CDN_Wolvie

For anyone still reading this thread, want to know a handy teamwork oriented tactical nuance to upgrading the wall defensive turrets without SOE buffing them in a patch? It can be our little secret (ha, I don't even play the game anymore because of the worst performance in a game I have seen in a decade, so what do I care if my enemies start using this too).

Look, I know the design of many bases is a PoS, full of holes that we regularily do drive the equivalent of a semi-truck through them, let alone letting attacking enemy infantry infiltrate like the walls were meant for their use, not the defenders, but check this out...

Get a Sunderer, put AMS Spawning (goes without saying most times, but you never know) and Vehicle Repair on it, doesn't even have to be all that high ranked (but the higher the better because of the radius) if you are a good driver or just patient and keep trying to get unstuck. Pull it at one of the bases that has a wall around it with the towers we walk up stairs to get on, like Howling Pass. Drive this Sunderer of Awesome up those stairs and then put it on either the left or right second set of stairs so it doesn't block the elevators going up and down - and deploy.

Congratulations, you have just helped your faction gain a bunch of AA and AV turrets that take extra shots, concentrated consistent fire to destroy on that tower of the wall, a place for the infantry to spawn and get resupply from, and placed two Sunderer turrets facing down the stairs or even one turret that protect the defenders flanks on the wall if you get the Sunderer parked in just the right place. And its a Sunderer protected from a lot of Armor and Air attacks.

Now, you still have a chance to make this even more so "Teamwork is OP", I didn't even get a chance to do this is in conjunction with other Repair Sunderers, yet my Sunderers that have done this where the base design allowed it have lasted for hours as long as I jump in it every 15 minutes or so to keep it from despawning or until so enterprising LA and HA/EN/LA teamwork gets wise to it and some how gets past the defenders with C4/TM/RL by flying, jumping up, drop podding or coming in behind the tower because the defenders weren't using proximity radar darts or what have you to see them coming. And I kept on hitting the exp repair limit doing this too but by god those base turrets stayed up longer.

So, hope that helps you in your endeavours to use the craptacularily bad for defense base design turrets as best you can. Have fun because I surely can not with PS2 SlideShowSide2 any longer, so no point in holding on to this lil'gem of Engineer knowledge any longer.
  3. Pacster3

Yepp, obstacles should keep air from attacking...but actually they only help air. I'm pretty much a dedicated AA guy but even I have a hard time to kill any aircraft on Hossin when the pilot is not flying like a total noob(granted, he won't take me out either cause during the time he repairs I will repair too.). It's hard to figure out where the enemy is shooting from(usually through trees) and you really have to land your shots cause if you don't hit the ESF hard enough that he needs to bail and repair then his second attack will kill the turret.
  4. Goden

No they don't. Not even in the slightest. The TTK for an AA turret to kill a Lib is hilariously long. Meanwhile a Lib can saw an AA turret in half before you can even say "WTF".
  5. CDN_Wolvie

Let me short and simple this so those who didn't read my previous longer post should have if they want this knowledge on better Defense:

A Repair Sunderer can give Base Turrets the Nanite-Auto Repair cert and it comes without any delay in it starting to repair from taking damage.

Now realize how powerful NAR is on vehicles that DO have a delay till it starts repairing hit points and picture an even better version of that exists right now for base turrets on walls.

;)
  6. Canno

The number of base turrets was halved (or more in some cases) a while ago. As well as terminals. It was done under the guise of better performance (less moving things to render I guess, some BS) but really it was done to make it more zergie.

Towers used to have 4 AV turrets and 3 or 4 AA turrets. Now it's usually 1 per, maybe 2.
    • Up x 1
  7. \m/SLAYER\m/

instead of shielding unattended sundered - protect engineers who repairing it, at least some teamplay
  8. Vaphell

No, i am asking why 2 tanks can trade blows no problem, knowing that the TTK is much better than what the turret can achieve. They don't even have to cycle the aggro and switch who's tanking dmg which would legitimately fall under the 'teamwork op'. They can just park in plain view, fire 3 times each while picking noses and it's gg. I am saying that turrets may have lousy DPS because the lives of tankers are oh so hard, but should have resilience to offset being immobile and exposed in 3 directions.

Good question. Idea for new thread: Can skyguards also get the new sundy shield? ;)

I bet that orders of magnitude more players died inside asploded turrets when facing tanks. Are all people who ever used one bad players? Turret does what it does, there is no sky high skill ceiling. Take the #1 PS2 face melter and he will do more or less as poorly as any other peon, not so with a competent tank driver.
    I am talking about conscious decision of tackling the turret and losing. Surprise shots in the *** i can understand but 1v1 you can just drive away or rush into the deadzone and destroy the turret at your leisure.

'any' tank can go only forward and backward which is child's play. Magriders are more annoying doing all kinds of 8s plus they almost never expose their *** and on top of that they can just magburn the f away if they please.

Non-engie driving a tank? How often does that happen in reality? And if i am on the amp walls doing my business i am not going to the spawn to switch to engineer. Every time i tried that there was nothing to salvage because in 30s there is nothing but rubble and walls are being overrun by LAs. Also i am pro dart thrower (usually the only one in the whole hex -_-), gotta keep my darts alive because nobody else seems to be doing the job.

you mentioned shooting through mech shields and it was the only place i could think of where it would be relevant.
  9. Talthos

You know, maybe this is just me, but what about removing the current Anti-Vehicle Base Turret design that uses only single-shot explosive shells, and replacing it with something that fires faster? No, not the Anti-Infantry 'Dual Rotary' Base Turret (even though those dual rotary cannons still damage heavy armour), but what about an "Autocannon Turret"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_cannon

With a fitting reduction in per-shot damage and subsequent increase in fire rate, you'd still have improved effectiveness against heavy armour, more skill reward for less missed shots, and perhaps a small reduction in splash radius, but without the excessive penalty that any missed shots tend to inflict on the turret operator.
  10. WTSherman

The problem with that is any autocannon that performs decently against armor would also wreck face against infantry.

Granted the current Spear is already way better against infantry than the Xiphos is, but that's because the Xiphos sucks.

Really the current Spear is quite adequate for what it does, we just usually don't have enough of them. Like, if those little round towers at Amp Stations had 2-3 Spear turrets per tower instead of just one, they'd be really tough to crack and make my repair sunderer very happy.
  11. HadesR

What they should do ... And what afaik they have been planning for a while ( stuck in Limbo i guess )

Is to not have default turrets but in their place have a terminal in which the player spawns his own .. These can then come with cert lines , such as NV scope or AR , etc

Since they are player spawned they could then come with a resource cost and be buffed appropriately ..

In regards to infi's hacking they would Hack the terminal not the turret ( turret itself would be unhackable due to the cert lines / resource cost ) .. So they would need the resources to spawn one if they wished
  12. Dasubur

what ever happened to those AI turrets? I remember using them they were pretty cool.

I can't seem to find them anymore, I wish more bases had them as they were so useful.
  13. Nintyuk

This Is a good Idea, BUT only if the shield disables when a player starts using it.