NC08 MagScatter Balancing

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Zero M0nster, Jul 25, 2014.

1. nubery

Rocket launcher that shoots shotguns is next.
  2. Runegrace

Excellent. The seeds of this line of thought have been sown. Bwahahahaha.

Also, where is the obligatory 'Yo dawg' meme? Surprised that hasn't been brought in yet.
  3. Covah

Remember the song...

Shotguns and shotguns and shotguns and spam, and shotguns and spam, and spam and shotguns.
  4. Demigan

It's not fine. I can kill enemies faster with my Desperado and with more accuracy at CQC as well as range. Even worse: the TR Repeater outperforms it easily, I can annihilate one guy easily before he even realizes while with the Magscatter people have a tiny bit of time to react.

The Magscatter should be better than the repeater, period.
    So either the Repeater needs a nerf, or the Magscatter needs a boost. As it is, it's outperformed by most other weapons even at CQC. It needs a ROF increase or something. I've been shooting NC at the terminal and regardless how I fired on the head it was a TOUGH do a one-hit. I don't see this weapon performing well when running and gunning, in 'surprise and knife!' situations I would prefer other secondaries with equal oppertunity to give an easy knife.
  5. minhalexus

It should only be better than the Repeater in CQC.

In all other ranges, the Repeater should be better.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bankrotas

I'll need to ******* quit the faction :/
  7. Demigan

ofcourse the Repeater should be better at any other range than CQC. But in real CQC, the magscatter should be the supreme secondary choice. Otherwise, what the hell is it a shotgun FOR? It would be like having a pump-action that can OHK one guy, while another gun can annihilate 2 guys before the pump-action even did it's pump-action.
    • Up x 1
  8. Presage

Hey genius, there is a reason why nobody use it, after the cut, there is still the reload of the arrow, while NC08 can shot right after, that is OP
    • Up x 1
  9. minhalexus

You don't need to reload if you land your shots.

Plus you aren't restricted to 5m, unlike the Magscatter.
    ALSO if you miss a 2 pellets with the Magscatter you can't shot+knife. That is highly probable on moving targets.

ALSO the Crossbow is the best Longrange option, while Magscatter is the worst long range option.
    • Up x 2
  10. TheKhopesh

What bothers me is that we get a shotgun w/ underbarrel shotgun, and we cannot put slugs on the main gun so we'd have slugs and shot for it.
    Considering the UBS isn't all that great for a semi-auto shotgun, it would be nice to have the ability to make it a ranged weapon with the underbarrel to complete the weapon. As it is, I'd much rather have a shotgun with a built in ext mag like the other two sides get.
  11. Bankrotas

It's **** and that's the joke...
    • Up x 2
  12. TheKhopesh

Ya, if they wanna fix it, they'll do two things:

One, it misses more than any other pistol in the game.
    Sometimes entirely, other times only a few pellets.

It needs an extra shot per mag. Just one and I'd be happy.

Two, it needs higher DPS.
    It's literally the closest range pistol in the game.

The only weapon in game that has less range is the knife. THAT'S IT!

This means it should be able to keep up with the damage output that other CQC pistols can.
    That said, up the rate of fire by 35 RPM for a total of 155 RPM.

The TR have the starter repeater (1,577 DPS) and AMP (1,561 DPS), the VS have the Spiker (Which still needs work to get it to be easier to use, but has the best DPS of any pistol at 1,602 DPS), yet the NC have the Desperado (1,392 DPS).

Then there's the Magscatter.
    The closest range of them all.
    At a pathetic 1,200 DPS.

It just cannot keep up with the others.
    It has a tiny range, highly inconsistent damage due to pellet loss, and cannot even miss a single round if it hopes to kill more than one person per mag.

All the new ES pistols need some improvements.
    (I wish SOE would listen to their players on PTS!)

Magscatter:
    +1 shot per mag
    +35 RPM
    (This weapon is a joke currently, who's only purpose is to spit in the faces of the NC and say "Here's your next crappy shotgun. We would have made it better, but then it wouldn't be quite as useless as the canister. And we can't have you with real weapons now can we?" :eek:)

AMP:
    +5 shots per mag
    (This is a full auto TR pistol. Remember the TR faction traits? You got the high fire rate part. Now think reeeeal hard and remember that one about the extra ammo. :mad:)

Spiker:
    Primary fire mode 3x burst, changeable to 2x for range
    Faster charge (0.75 seconds? Just my suggestion, but by no means final.)
    Better charge mechanism ~I suggest just cramming the NS-44's damage model into a single high damage charge shot.~

(This thing is a great weapon on paper, but it desperately needs a smoother feel during mid-combat fire. While the weapon won't be better stats wise, changing this to 3x burst will allow the shooter far more control of the weapon in CQC, and the optional 2x burst would still keep it's usefulness at range. Additionally, a 4x burst chrage on this is entirely useless. Add a better charge idea, and voila! A useful function as a combination CQC/range pistol. Charge 3 rounds per charged shot, and there you go.)

There you have it, how to make all three ES pistols good, lovable sidegrades to the currently superior options available already.

+++++++++++
    I understand many VS want a Lasher style splash damage for the charge, but the gamebreaking concern here is that they could simply spam the thing into a room to clear a path of mines as they enter buildings.
    This is a major concern, as it would remove all skill from checking for and disposing of or avoiding them.
    Instead, one faction alone could simply spam the ground and remove all doubt, without the cost of resources or risk.

While the Lasher is tethered to HA's only, who can all do this with a standard dumbfire RL, a pistol could be used by all, thereby upsetting that balance.

And though the explosive bolts too have flak, it is extremely inconsistent for AI use or mine clearing. These are more like low radius AP rounds, which are specially designed around the low ammo platform of the crossbows for max deterrence.
    • Up x 1
  13. Niller

Can you please tell me where you got that info?
  14. Scr1nRusher

Back on the PTS when some of the melee update features were on it.

such has holding down the "knife" button and you can hold your knife to slash.

Each empire Got a new 625 damage Knife.

You can go the PS2 Weapons( on the PS2 website) to see the new knifes.

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/weapon-overview

The Diamond,RASK, and Scorp.
  15. Atis

No shotgun turrets, grenade and mines = fake NC. If you want to clear your name, soldier, show me your shotgun knife.
    • Up x 1
  16. Casterbridge

Hmm engineer ES turrets the NC of course will get a shotgun but what will the VS and TR get?
  17. YamiNoTenshi

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  18. eatcow0

shotgun on the shotgun attachment and a shotgun rocket launcher
  19. Runegrace

TR would get basically the same turret. It deals less damage per shot but can be fired longer without overheating, making it worse for killing things but at least there's more of it.

VS would get a turret that can be charged up to shoot 3 shots at once. It doesn't seem that useful, but keep in mind that it would have no bullet drop.

And obviously, all three engineer turrets are already ES. Shield coverage is faction-flavor, I suppose.
  20. TheKhopesh

That seems to be the only NC faction trait these days.

*Insert New NC Weapon Here*

Pros:
    ~Sounds cool in name or theory.

Cons:
    ~Sub-par compared to TR/VS' new weapon of the same type.
    ~If there's a similar NC weapon that's pre-existing, it's sub-par to that as well.
    ~So inaccurate it cannot hit but one round out of every three.
    ~Midrange velocity (Despite highest velocity being something promised in alpha as part of the NC's Gauss Acceleration theme).
    ~Either starts out weak or is decent but nerfed to be the worst of the three before ever going live.
    ~Possibly a shotgun. If shotgun, often weak or in a weapon class entirely designed for (and sometimes relegated to) ranged use (Looking at you, canister), which makes it so bad a downgrade to the NS substitutes that it's virtually never used.