Truth-telling: What do you do when ally and enemy are both in your line of fire?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thrasis, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Thrasis

For a long time I would stop firing when an ally and an enemy were dancing in front of me like 5 to 10M's away. Then experience taught me that if I wasn't firing when the ally went down the enemy would usually get the drop on me and two bullets to the head at close range would do me.

So now I do my best not to hit the ally, which is a quixotic quest given the amount of strafing that goes on, but I make sure the enemy goes down no matter what the collateral damage.

How do you handle this?
    • Up x 1
  2. dBMachine

I fire.
    • Up x 19
  3. WyrdHarper

I shoot right through the (probably) AOD dastard.
    • Up x 18
  4. NinjaTurtle

If I can't make a clean shot I hold fire until I have an angle where I can see the enemy clearly. If the friendly dies I then spam left finger

I approve of the TR culling of AoD

I swear most TR I kill have that tag
    • Up x 1
  5. Tommyp2006

I've died too many times due to people walking in front of me to hold my fire anymore.
    • Up x 5
  6. Greenfrog

I stop firing when friendlies walk into my line of fire - I probably shouldn't - as many people have pointed out, the sheer number of heedless morons that insist on walking into my ACTUAL STREAM OF BULLETS is astonishing - I'm not talking about people that walk in front of my gun - that's just annoying - no, it's the number of people that will walk directly in front of my gun WHILE I'M FIRING that truly boggles my mind.

there have been a few times, I'll admit, when I've just held down the trigger - gunned down whoever just walked into my line of fire and then continue walking it straight into whomever I was firing at to begin with. I usually get that way after one of our inevitable half-hour NC wet-noodle bombardments, when I've been watching my faction fail over and over again for 30 or 40 minutes straight, at which point I'm sick of my whole faction and at that point, if they're dumb enough to eat my bullets along with my enemies, they're welcome to it.

I really hate my own faction right now...night after night after night of useless tank bombardments. but that's another post...
  7. Elrobochanco

I aim high, because either way they dance I might not have enough bullets if I don't.
  8. LOBOX

I aim the enemy feets. :D
  9. WyrdHarper

Most of the TR who kill me have that tag.
    • Up x 8
  10. doombro

Open fire. TR should know better than to step in front of an MCG by now. If they don't, then it's a learning opportunity.
    • Up x 4
  11. Madcat9

Back when I was in AOD I for a long period of time ran in a bunch open 903rd platoons. I had a similar reversed experience when someone was doing the tango with some VS and trying to attempt to save his life. Needless to say TR recoil patterns are not exactly an epitome of precision. Burst of rage against AOD followed but hey at least I got the guy.
    • Up x 1
  12. TheAntiFish

Cloak&Flank.

Worst case scenario the anonymous enemy kills said ally and is left with so little health that i can instagib him../her.
  13. Typhoeus

I do the same, and I'd expect my allies to do the same. I'd rather die to friendly fire and the enemy die then both my ally and I dying and the enemy getting away.
    • Up x 1
  14. DatVanuMan

Mah Lasher lets me fire 4 meters to the opposite direction of my enemy. A good 45% of times, I get the kill, and an amazing 80% of times, my buddy lives to see a few more minutes:cool:
  15. Badname707

Depends, but usually I'll hold fire. I'll only shoot if I'm directly threatened as a result of not shooting, or if that enemy has the potential to do more damage to my team than what I could do to my teammate.
  16. Posse

I don't know, I found out that what I do depends on my instincts, sometimes I should both of them down, sometimes I try to get a clean shot, sometimes I get to cover.
    • Up x 1
  17. Latrodectus

Define "ally."
    • Up x 2
  18. dasichri

It boggles my mind at how many people walk in front of my MCG or lasher while im sitting there firing for a good 3-4 seconds...

I mean, seriously. I feel like those people are just like insects and bug zappers.

Random Nubcake: "Oh that guy is shooting non stop in that direction making all sorts of pretty tracers... Lets see what hes shooting at by standing in front of him!"

*Proceeds to walk into my fire*

Random Nubcake: "What the hell man you shot me!"
    Me: "Then don't go in front of me when I'm shooting... -__-"

Its especially infuriating when I am using my lasher to suppress an area, then they proceed to walk in front of me, sometimes STAYING in front of me... and now I can no longer suppress the enemy so you can advance on them unhindered... GG teamwork.

But to answer your question, yes I hold my fire until I think I can get a shot in without hitting the teammate.
  19. SenEvason

I take that opportunity to see how good my aim is. Usually, not that good.
    • Up x 2
  20. Madcat9

Do try to shoot a quick "sorry" tell afterwords though.