A Whole Fight Ruined "Welcome to Planetside "2" "

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 24NoSwagWithScope7, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jerox

Really? How difficult can it be to whip out a rocket launcher and shoot it at the Galaxy? Or pull a MAX with the single burster and burst away right from the spawnroom.
    The Galaxy isn't even moving ffs..
    Nice insult to all the casual players though. Keep it up.

I also never understood that. As if it adds anything good to the video..
    • Up x 3
  2. gartho33

Not gona claim that I read the whole of this post, but after watching the video and having been on the receiving end of this many times... I feel very confident in saying the problem is not the gal nor the weapons there on....

in my opinion (and it is just that) the problem with these situations is that effective AA is not available to people, bursters are great.. but in an infantry battle to pull one of those is to commit to something you'll lose quite quickly. dumb fires are an option yes, but they quickly lose all effectiveness when shooting a moving/retreating target. and lock-ons are no better... poor locking range, and following mechanics have these in a "poke ur it" spot. Skygard? nope... this thing puts out deterrence at best. do I want to be able to solo a gal? [filtered] no! but the fact that a reliable form of AA is something that has to be committed to and has little to no effect on that gal is a problem. and fixing this will require a complete re-balance of air...

to top it off... when committing to AA you have likely allready hit the point of "spawn camped". the best way to fix this is beyond my ability to truly balance.. but giving everyone a simple and reliable form of AA would go a long way, dumb fires are supposed to be that option.. but due to extensive infantry to infantry exploitation they cant reliably fill any role beyond 75 meters...

if the changes to rockets include a supper infantry nerf, maybe... just maybe we can get something in the hands of everyone that can effectively force pilots and drivers to rethink that perch they chose... as much as i hate the no more 1hk rocket option... some things change for the better (if this is indeed the actual outcome)
    • Up x 1
  3. skifton

After watching the 3.5 minute video, using my PC's calculator, and counting the kills (I counted 45 kills), and calculating the average BR of the TR he was wasting with that bulldog, the average comes out to BR55. (55.689, to be exact)

That means that at LEAST forty-five BR55 players were farmed without so much as looking up.

That speaks more to the indiscriminate crap of that specific group of TR players, than it says "oh something with the game is broken".

Step 1 - Aquire heavy with ANY dumbfire. (Or burster max, or a lockon)

Step 2 - FIRE THAT DUMBFIRE AT THE GALAXY. PREFERABLY IN UNISON. (I saw MANY high-level members of the same TR outfit on that video getting farmed.)

Step 3 - Watch galaxy either explode or fly away.

Step 4 - Rush point and/or have relief from bulldog spam.

Step 5 - Feel good about contributing to a real metagame.

This farm video was the fault of the *TR players getting farmed*...it was not the fault of Scourge nor the developers. I saw some rockets hitting the gal at first...and guess what? the Gal had to pull off. I didn't see ANY flak, nor did I see any rockets hitting the gal after it left the first time. It would have been pretty easy to hit, especially with flak, from that distance. Even with a decimator.

If that TR outfit (DL3G, no offense guys) had pulled 3 heavies (I saw at least three DL3G members in that video getting killed) and pulled out decimators and fired at the same time, that Galaxy would have either had to wave off, or would have been destroyed outright. They (nor any of the other high-level TR there) did NOT lead those newer players in how they should deal with a battle galaxy at close range, and were therefore mercilessly farmed.
    • Up x 2
  4. FateJH

Two theories:
    • Let's Plays for shock or moody horror games eventually caving into the common comment "I would have loved to see your face when ..."
    • borrowed from Japanese variety hour and gameshows (I believe the genre may be called waido) where the reaction of a person watching the proceedings is displayed in a corner of the screen
  5. Pacster3

6. WTSherman

I have very often wondered "Why did they decide to give the Galaxy so much health when it doesn't even need to land in hostile territory to do its job?" This has nothing to do with the video, just something I've been scratching my head over in general.

I mean come on, where I come from a transport helicopter only has a pair of M60s/M240Bs (7.62mm machine guns) on the doors and dies to one rocket. And unlike a Galaxy, my old UH-60 actually has to land. The Galaxy can just fly at flight ceiling, well out of range of dumbfires/lockons and not even rendering for most Flak. From there it can just para-drop people endlessly, performing its role just fine unless the enemy has air support and you don't. If it actually does need to pick people up, it can land in friendly territory and pick them up there.

Of course, I also don't see why the Galaxy is such a big fat target. I mean really you don't need that much space to hold 12 people. A UH-60 can carry 11 plus two pilots, and it's not much bigger than a Reaver (taller, mostly). And if the Galaxy wasn't so big and fat, it wouldn't rely on its health pool as much.

Of course, I can kind of see that they tried to model it after a C-130, but a C-130 is not nearly that durable either, the transport version is unarmed, and it's much higher up the food chain than a squad transport helo. A C-130 can hold 64 paratroopers or 72 conventional troops (those parachutes take up a bit of space) and costs as much as 6 Black Hawks (more or less, depending on the models in question).

I'm not sure how that can be addressed from the game's current position though. Perhaps the Valkyrie, when added, could be pushed towards filling our UH-60 role and the Galaxy could be pushed towards being a strategic transport that we don't pull unless for some reason we need to move an entire platoon. Can the game handle a vehicle with more than 12 seats though, considering we use the F-keys to switch?
    • Up x 2
  7. Typhoeus

Ahhhh TR newbs getting rekt.

I'm generally not one to support nerfs but I've a feeling this is something the pro nerf crowd is going to rally behind. I'm thinking it may be time to buff flak damage versus galaxy's if anything is to change at all. Perhaps even give MAX's a high resistance to bulldogs. Another thing that could change would be to make the bulldog projectiles much more noticeable. I'm thinking a bright white smoke trail that takes a while to disappear and a really loud and distinguishable noise just like the dalton has.

Let's tweak this so there is absolutely no reason people won't notice they are getting shot by bulldogs and let's change it so they feel confident they can counter a battle gal. Preferably in a two stage release since I do believe it's not that hard to counter a galaxy as is anyways. I'm just under the impression from this video these guys had no idea they were getting shelled by a battle gal. If there was no communication and they just spacebar their way out of the death screen over and over without paying attention to what just killed them then I could see how they had no idea what just happened.
  8. Tommyp2006

Streamers actually end up getting a lot more viewers (and donations) when they have a face cam. Don't know why, but they do.
  9. Valadain

I see the term "casual" thrown around here, but I am a casual. I don't get to play the game constantly and usually have to run solo from my outfit as I'm likely to get interrupted (have a baby). Still, I don't log in and play the game as an FPS skill-shooter. I log in and look at what my team needs (do they need air defense, tank defense, sniper defense, do they need me to rush a point, do they need me to defend a point, do they need me to break a siege?). Then, I pick the tools I need to do it and go. Yes, sometimes I run out with my heavy to get a tank and see that they have defenses up on the tank (sniper or another tank). I'll fire off what I can, die, and pick another tool. Sometimes the max isn't enough to finish them, so I fire up a tank (sadly, won't be able to do this in the future, which will hurt a lot, with so many players not using any of their resources at all).

The point is, "casual" does not mean a player that wants to play a different game (infantry only). Casual means not having time to devote to extreme depth of play. Dealing with things other than infantry is not extreme depths of play. Yeah, you'll die more. Your coveted K/D will drop, but you can do your part in a defense or offense without only playing a skill shooter. Heck, even the skill shooters have their place, if you are running in and killing five or ten times per death, you are making up for a decent pop difference. Unfortunately, not everyone can do it always, you have to deal with other threats. The threats that actually make this a team game, not a solo game.
    • Up x 1
  10. andy_m

Absolutely.

I must be on ignore mode or something. Understandable I suppose, given the crap I spout sometimes.

So, once again, you do NOT have to down an aircraft. Just be a thorn in its side. Instead of it farming four or five infantry every pass, it now has to think that it might not be so easy.

I'm not sure about that... I think it is possible for the lower BR peeps to hold their own against the "better players" once they get some time under their belt. Even I have some BR90+ players on my Killboard...
  11. Valadain

Or just train the players. I've pushed out a galaxy all on my lonesome, by just firing enough rockets at it that it couldn't ignore me anymore. Funny thing is, once I did it, others joined in when it repaired and came back.

Heck, I've had times where I just fire a rocket, then run around like crazy through cover, just to keep the turret on me. If it is on me, it isn't farming. Of course, that's a bit more than most players would do as it doesn't get you any points. Works better to keep snipers annoyed than with HE as the margin for failure is extremely high with HE, but if it is next to the spawn room, I'll be back at it within a few seconds.
  12. faykid

to look for interesting balanced fights. if they play solo (and new players do), they cannot change balance of a fight, so they need to find one with good balance. it is possible to do, if you know that you're supposed to do it - just redeploy and look at the map. if the current continent doesn't have good fights, look at the other continent. there's always a fight out there you can deploy directly to

this is very important to make it clear - this is not normal FPS. you can't win every fight. it's like running into a location in single player mode where you're not ready to do anything yet, where you're not supposed to be. mobs there are too strong, and you should leave that place and look for the stuff you're supposed to be doing

what you describe, that people are accustomed to respawning in the same place - this is exactly what's wrong with new player experience. new players often do things which are not meant to be done. act dangerously. why? because nobody explained them anything about the strategy of the game
  13. Rogueghost

Sometimes he dresses up in bear costumes and teaches 14 year old girls how to be flexible.
  14. Revanmug

I don't think you realised that the galaxy is landed and can easily outrepair most damage done to it. I also doubt you know how powerful fire suppression is on a galaxy.

At best, he would have fly away for 1min and half before returning there, laughing at those pitiful attempt.

In a situation like the one shown, it just best to leave the base and look somewhere else.
    • Up x 3
  15. DeusExForever

That's not balance at all.

Balance isn't having an aircraft to fly away to repair (denying the opposing team a kill). They don't offer that luxury with infantry to casually walk back to the spawn room to get healed, right?

Either the aircrew is fixing the damage in flight, or the aircrew gets out of Dodge, as it's a warning that the next encounter will be fatal.

In reality, 1 missile is all that it takes to down even a C-5 Galaxy. AA can and will shoot the wings off aircraft, if a stray bullet doesn't kill the aircrew first (my mom saw what .50 caliber AAs could do to civilians in WWII, too).

So, since PS2 is established not being a realistic FPS, 3 from a squad to even have a chance to take down 1 in 20+ vehicle zergs is not only obnoxious, I can see how the game is so dead, too. There's no incentive to want too face opposition like that, especially being outright slaughtered, by both bullets and flak (and PS2 forces you to choose either bullet or flak resistance).
    • Up x 1
  16. Fortress

This is exactly right. It just isn't worth the effort to take down a gal from the spawns, and I can much more effective elsewhere.

Hell, in the time it takes me to scare off a gal, I could probably save another base.
    • Up x 1
  17. Shadowomega

Wow those TR didn't bother putting salvo into that galaxy on its second pass, and was grounded. I see galaxy try this on emerald and if they have been on station for at least a minute their not likely to be there much longer as people will respond in those large fights. From this video I can tell this was 48+ on 48+ so it down to the players not countering. For 12 v 12 anything players can't see a way counter to will always be considered op maxs, vehicles, good players, team work, and even AI mana turrets even if their not. This game has to be balanced around larger fight as that is what is ment to occur the most. In fights like that there is a much higher potential for more guns pointed at one single target. In the end it down its down who messes up the most in a fight will lose, and in this video there were alot of mistakes on defenders part that I could see.

As for base design PS1 bases had better lay then PS2 but those bases were not outpost like 90% of the bases are in PS2. Though I do give SOE props for some of those more indoor lay out bases on Hossin.

As for AA there needs to be more options then just flak guns for vehicles, and base turrets. There are a couple of real world system that could be added into PS2 that would be wonderful while not making a massive no fly zone. Those who played BF3/4 remember the LAV-AD's primary weapon the 20mm vulcan a few high velocity, high rate of fire, low to medium damage weapon would be one good option (Walkers rof, velocity are on the low side). There are other systems and I have mentioned them in my tank overhaul post several months ago.

As for why the galaxy is so wide for 12 people is that it is based on the C-130 Herc, but given the C-5's Name (Galaxy). In PS1 and it had the ability to transport one light vehicle;up to Lighting/Deliver(Variants), and it might be making a return later down the line with the galaxy revamp.
    • Up x 1
  18. WarmasterRaptor

Hmmm do I take :

A gal up to 48 capacity (Platoon worthy) ? And allowing the whole platoon to respawn in it?

Or the Valkyrie, 6 seats only (halfsquads), more agile and adapted weaponry though. Only squad deploy-available.

Could be interesting...
  19. DQCraze

With the number of people there, to me it was just lazy play. They got what they deserved, shredded repeatedly. If one squad leader would of called for AA it would of been over in 10 secs. Nothing new, to me I see it all the time.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zakuak

Awesome run IMO...I agree with DQ here though...
    I have no doubt this happens from time to time but this is not typical in every fight. That was one of those "moments" you happen across and take advantage of the situation.

I'd of had a blast if I found myself with a Bulldog and a constant stream of targets...who wouldn't?