Semi-Auto Sniper Tips?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Neo3602, Jul 27, 2014.

1. reydelchicken

As someone with auraxiums on both of the semi-autos, and someone that actually likes the weapons a lot a few quick tips I can give you are:

• Pace your shots according to distance: in cqc you can spam "full auto", but you'll want to pace your shots at a distance, combine this with strafing. ideally you'll strafe-stop-shoot-strafe.
    • Go for an opening headshot when you start a fight if possible, and then just spam at the body, damage is good enough to win and the accuracy penalty while moving isn't bad enough to be consistent when taking body shots even at mid to long range.
    In general, I think these guns have a nice role, and that is mid-range, because they're semi-auto guns, but the damage dropoff they have is really nice, and allows you to do quite a lot of damage at around 30-40m, without having to be as precise as with a bolt-action.
    • Up x 1
  2. LT_Latency

The SASR are not very good as a long range sniper rifle. They are too weak against bolt actions. At long range you will have to stand still to fire 3 or 4 shots unless they are not moving then you can get them with 2 head shots. Those 3 or 4 shots are enough time for a good BASR to blow you away.

You want to stay in the sweet spot that is to close for most BASR users but too far for non snipers to kill you.
  3. Gemenai

Best tip for a semi-auto s-rifle?
    I would say headshots. Also use flash supressor or silencer if possible ( if your aim allows it)
    I tend to use them with 6x or 7x scopes ( 4x for the small ones).
    Allways use your mobility.
    And don´t fear to use range. Even with my Vandal (6x, flash supressor, forward grip) i managed a HS kill at 300 few days ago ( yes i know it´s technically a scout rifle not a SASR)
  4. yeHHH1g

There are different counts for different semi-autos, Phantom and spectre have different optimal fire patterns than the vandal and nyx. Optimal meaning fastest ttks, which means going for headshots. Generally, its just figuring out when the cof resets on your gun for an accurate followup headshot. I usually gauge this by seeing and firing when the xhair resets after each shot. After about 200-300 kills with a gun the timing between each shot will become pretty much second nature.

And definitely equip the foregrip, it's an ADS weapon and I find it helps some with first shot recoil and mitigating horizontal recoil is key to precision sniping
    • Up x 1
  5. Ripshaft

To add onto my previous post;

I've barely used any implants since they were released, but earlier tonight, partially inspired by this thread I took some time away from combat flashing and pulled out my spectre for a bit... immediately it dawned on me... holy crap what if I used the hold breath implant?

And holy sweet merciful crapcake tuesday, it was amazing!

Pinpoint accurate shots at a high rate of fire across massive ranges... I might need to get back to my spectre for awhile =/
  6. DrTeeth

Back in the old days before all the buffs to bolt-actions, the SASRs had a good niche. I spent a lot of time with the 99SV, there aren't many people with more SASR kills (8 I think). However these days I don't tend to use them unless I'm feeling masochistic.:)

I have some videos on my channel of me using the 99SV, they should give you some tips:

http://www.youtube.com/user/d37888
  7. KO-tic

Well later tonight never came. :(
  8. Ximaster

I see a lot of videos of pro players using their prefer weapons and its true effectivenes in their paths. I want to do the same :( **** FPS...

I bought the Gauss SPR last days and i cannot do the same effectivenes like the videos,maybe im new or maybe the weapon dont have the accuracy like the weapon of the video...Anyway do u recommend me any tips for the Gauss SPR???? Maybe accessories??? Grip??? Silencer??? Compensator??? I go with AF-18 Stalker (SOAS-20 in Terran side) but i eat the floor anyway the direction i go,and versus HA is impossible in face to face. Only i win 2 battles in face to face and its with the Gauss SPR with no scope,true luck i want to say.
  9. Neo3602

Thanks for the tips guys, I found that for me I usually go for the 3 body shot kill most of the time and will usually only pull my SASR at ranges where I can easily make the follow up shots, though I have gotten a fair amount of 2 shot kill with my next shot kicking up to the head due to recoil. All in all I've found SASR's to be pretty fun now that I've found an effective range to use them at and I will continue to use them when ever I can.
  10. GaBeRock

So ihave to ask, why are SASR's so reviled? I was using the nyx on my VS infiltrator in favorable terrain (esamir outside of a base) and was absolutely dominating my enemies by keeping distance and chaining body shots.
  11. Waffle Fartsparkle

You guys have really confused this thread.

SAS-R is the NC Variant of the short-ranged Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle and should not be confused with a Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle which is what this thread is about.

SASR = Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle.

BSAR = Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle.
  12. Kubin

^ This. I've decided to give a chance to Ghost with 4x scope and supercooled coil and I freaking love it. I know it's not really following the thread but I'll tell you why:

- medium-long range: OHK by headshot is easy to achieve.
    - point-blank range: noscope body shot + knife combo.
    - short range: It's mostly a "dead zone" (hard to aim for the head and outside knife range) for my Ghost, but short range is exactly where I can use my sidearm.

So you're basically covering ranges from point-blank up to 200m which is more than enough to get many kills before getting mowed down eventually. EMP grenades push your killing potential even further, giving you a chance to dispatch a group of (now shieldless) enemies without even worrying about headshots. Also you can berzerk right into the hive with noscope bodyshots and swinging your knife wildly - it's almost certain death but also a pure havoc :D I'm using medpack in this loadout but if you're a dedicated berzerker you may consider regenpacks and use it them right before throwing an EMP and charging in. Suit yourself.

I will, however, give a try to SASR in the future - just to try something new. We'll see how it'd work.
    • Up x 1
  13. Linheru

I miss the days where Phantom could fire full-auto from hipfire. Felt like having a Pandora on an infiltrator ^_^