AJA stream and 'the trash can'

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xWarMachine, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Latrodectus

This analogy is so off the mark it's not even wrong.

If people want to be vehicle heroes and sit around respawn areas with the most farm-friendly weapons (like the Banshee and PPA for example) they can get their hands on, that's their business. However the issue arises when you want to sit there and pretend like this some how leads to dynamic gameplay, and that the current game mechanics and base design doesn't reinforce this kind of behavior.

What you meant to say in your "analogy" was that being farmed is avoidable, as spawn camping isn't avoidable, it is simply something that happens. When a spawn is surrounded by PPA's and bulldogs, it is being camped, regardless of whether or not there's even any one inside. And, as I'll say again, the problem in this scenario is that this form of gameplay is not only possible, but encouraged by current game design.

You see you probably haven't been paying as close attention to this thread as you should have before responding. The reason we are even having this discussion is because I, and many other players, farmed the living bejeezus out of people with vehicles during the whole Emerald TR stream thing. This is what happens to new players, it happens a lot. It is often one of the very first things that happens to a player upon logging into this game. Just because Ronin Oni wants to sit there and say it never happens to him--which in all likely hood, it does--doesn't mean it isn't happening to dozens of new players every day. That is simply the nature of force multipliers in this game, and new players will not have the certs invested in their vehicles that will allow them to compete.
    • Up x 1
  2. WinchesterLock

I was in one of those platoons and can vouch for this happening. Squad leads were telling folks not to fire on TR troops if possible.

[IMG]

What is really interesting is that after that loss, the total server pop didn't completely drop, instead, it seems a bunch of them switched to or created NC or VS characters. So they may have went on to have an enjoyable time on one of the other two factions last night.
  3. Phyr

They probably could have accomplished more by recording footage under an alias character, rather than trying to show off the game with a live stream event, during prime time.
  4. Axehilt

We wouldn't pretend it leads to dynamic gameplay. We would just accept the fact that it does lead to dynamic gameplay.
    • Team A pulls too many AI vehicles.
    • Team B somehow lets themselves get pushed back to their spawn.
    • --now this is the critical part--
    • Team B stops spawning at the camped base.
    • Team B all pulls heavy combat vehicles, probably with AV loadouts.
    • Since heavy combat vehicles destroy AI-specialized vehicles, Team A gets beaten back.
    • Team B brings up Sunderers and proceeds to get some infantry on the point at the next base.
    • Since AV-specialized vehicles aren't great for camping, either the infantry fight is intense OR the AV vehicles have trouble with focused infantry-AV against them OR Team A pulls vehicles that their opponents can't deal with (dual AV tanks are trash against air, for example.)
    So you can see how the mix of units being fielded is constantly shifting, dynamically, based on what the battle needs. And it's only when players choose to repeatedly make the same mistake in the same way (spawn into a camped spawn) that things cease being dynamic.

If he says it never happens to him, then he probably plays like me: 1-2 deaths at a place to probe whether it's camped, and then I spawn elsewhere. It is literally impossible to "camp" a player who doesn't want to keep repeating the mistake of spawning somewhere camped. They simply spawn elsewhere.

Personally I think it was pretty bad form for people to gang up on a bunch of new players, as I want new players to stick around and learn. I don't exactly /yell "Stop spawning here, it's camped" to my enemies every time my faction has a stranglehold on a base, but I've definitely done it for friendlies a lot -- including spawning at locations JUST to point out they're camped. I wish the game itself taught players better about when a spawn is a lost cause and they should leave, because that just means (a) when I'm the person avoiding the camp and pulling a vehicle now I'll have more allies pulling vehicles with me and (b) when I'm the person strangling the base, my opponents will pull vehicles and create much more interesting fights for bases.
    • Up x 1
  5. xWarMachine

Great job, you should get a cookie and some nap time for your amazing work.

You are so right! We needed to showcase the game poorly to thousands of potential new players. I am so glad that you and your fellow VS/NC friends deliberately boxed them into the warp-gate all night to starve them of resources while completely avoiding each-other, because that's what the game is about right?

Just an FYI; I have never seen the VS and NC camp a single warp-gate for 4 hours straight... this was deliberate trolling.
    • Up x 3
  6. Latrodectus

This is what happens when you proclaim in your stream title that you are going to "dominate Hossin."
  7. Ronin Oni

Look at my time in MAX suit... Last play session was a fluke and we needed the AV firepower because it was a wave of tanks bearing down on us. When they reached the walls and poured into the base I just swapped out for AI.

I have more time as Infil than I do MAX FFS. (I think, I didn't actually double check my stats, but by how little I play MAX this is surely the case. LA/HA, and Medic for sure though... no contest. Not counting Engineer which has most time because that's over half vehicle operating.)

And yeah, if I'm at a base and it's getting spawn camped... I fall back and grab a tank or ESF. What else should I do?

Sit in spawn and whine and complain that the game is broken because everytime I run out I get killed? Over and over and over and...

Hey, did I ever tell you the definition of Insanity? :D
    • Up x 1
  8. Ronin Oni

So because they said where they'd be, and you knew there'd be an over-abundance of BR1's on Hossin TR, that makes it excusable to troll them and WG lock them for hours on end?
    From what I understand NC even cut off the VS WG camp, but the VS held firm to their trolling WG lock and were not deterred by the pesky NC trying to get VS into a more fair fight. Why, THEY HAD BR100's!!

Why would you ever want to go back and fight some real battles when you can farm under-equipped masses all day.

The Level difference in gear isn't that bad... until there's NOBODY without improved long range AV, or AA options available, and you resource starve the entire faction for hours on end.

Then it's pretty blatant.

But hey, they DESERVED it... because they wanted to come have fun and crap. Those entitled pricks!

Emerald VS, you really showed yourselves well Sat night. *Slow clap*
    • Up x 4
  9. Nexus545

Trial by fire I say. If I'm new to a game I would want people to give me the toughest challenge they can throw at me. It's the best way to learn. Although an intentional double team and lots of team killing is a bit extreme.
  10. Ronin Oni

I don't farm spawns with my AI noseguns either BTW, I go find big fights where I don't even get half a clip dumped before I'm hauling tail outta there on fire looking for emergency repairs.

I can leave the spawn camping to those who get kicks staring at spawn shields till their eyes bleed. I've been abandoning won fights for over a year now because it gets to the spawn camp phase and nevermind the crappy cap points.

Sure, new players often experience an uphill battle trying to comprehend everything that's going on with this game and tend to get farmed.

But when you KNOW there's going to be a disproportionate # of new players on 1 faction and your only thought is how many easy kills you're gonna get and "Oh, we better make sure THEY KNOW HOW MUCH THIS GAME SUCKS!!!" then you're just being a troll.

Get over it. You're a troll. Period.

"Oh, so we're just supposed to let them ghost cap everything?"

NO, of course not. But NEITHER should you Warp Gate lock them for hours.
    • Up x 3
  11. Liquidrider

Those that were clearly griefing and purposely TKing was sad and despicable at the same time.
    • Up x 2
  12. Champagon

It BLOWS me away that some of you actually whole heartily BELIEVE that we as vets, should have just stood there and gotten shot by newbies and ALLOWED them to crush us. Just because some e-celeb was leading them. Please go, and stay go.
  13. BeefySleet

Emerald VS are total scumbags? Who would have thought...

/eyeroll

Stay classy, VS. You sure showed them who was boss. Feel proud that you played an integral part in helping to kill this game/server.
    • Up x 3
  14. Liquidrider

He tried switching, but he was 282 in Queue at one point. There was also no way he and everyone else were going to get to another continent. All in all it was rough to watch.
  15. LT_Latency

No people are saying play normal at least. You crushed them into the warp gate. You knew they were no threat. You got nothing by staying there.

On a normal day a would HOPE your best platoons would redeploy and start fighting for something important for a while. Or maybe that aren't good and just like to farm noobs to farm to pad there KDRs.
    • Up x 2
  16. Latrodectus

It's not about what you should do, it's what you should be able to do.

Actually when I got to the fight I knew very little about what was going on, just that AJA had showed up for a slugfest on Hossin. Since they decided to keep coming, we decided to keep fighting.

This never happened, your information couldn't be more wrong. The rest of the NC and VS were held up at Zotz Biolab for almost the entirety of the night.
  17. Ronin Oni

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT.

All we're saying is that you shouldn't have WG LOCKED THEM FOR HOURS.

Hell, I've seen VS WG TR on Hossin before, they never set up camp for HOURS though.

This was most unquestionably done as PURE TROLLING and easy farming of certs.

Go fight NC for a bit, let them work their way back out of WG a couple of hexes, and then send some more forces back at them. Not FULL BRUNT either, but a normal REASONABLE amount of forces.

ALL the fighting on Hossin was around and outside TR WG.... tell me, why was there NO fighting along the LONG stretch of border between NC and VS?

You guys acted a bunch of tools and now wanna try and defend yourselves like this should be expected of you.

Hey, it's the internet, everyone is SUPPOSED to be a complete ****** right?
    • Up x 3
  18. Champagon

Play normal: Crushing our enemies

I don't see the problem here. The only problem i see is a lack of leadership, and whos fault is that?????
  19. Champagon

Yes, blame VS for everything. No way NC could have shot at us, no sir

Incoming Beamer nerf.

As to why NC didn't fight us, I dunno go ask them.
  20. LT_Latency

The VS get blamed more because they vocally spam more trolls. Which is even worse then just farming them.
    • Up x 3