Game seems little more than a zerg-fest

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SiegeTank, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Zar

I don't understand why people hate zergs. I hunt zergs actively never will you see a more brain dead target rich area in the game.
    Try getting good with a sniper rifle and spawn a base down the line walk back to the zerged base in question and just start taking people out. if you are good you will kill at least 4 -8 of them before their aircav or tanks even know something is wrong.
    then you. vanish get a new spot and do it again I have had whole platoons wasting time hunting one lone sniper for 15 to 20 mins.
    last night i got a group of nc to pull 3 maxes to come and kill me. seriously its the funnest thing ive done in this game.
    P.S yes those 3 maxes killed me so hard my next respawn i just fell over but i still pushed them so far to pull them lol.
    • Up x 1
  2. SiegeTank

See but that's the point - I'm starting to notice how less often there are such great battles that stay that way. Time and again it becomes 60%+ for one of the sides and it's no longer a battle but a slaughter and which side you're on at that point doesn't matter: the fun drops tremendously either way.

As another poster mentioned, I find myself moving around to find great fights more than I'm actually in great fights.

That's the point. When you're being slaughtered:

- Your snipers are being sniped by 2X as many enemy snipers
    - Your tanks are being wiped by 2X as many enemy tanks
    - The attempt to earn certs being defined by dying every minute by 2X the enemies is not fun.
    - I can sit there as an engineer or medic to earn certs, but again it feels moronic because you know you're going to lose and you're just milking it, which again it's not fun.

I'm just saddened that so suddenly I'm seeing how most fights are a slaughter and so few are actually ones that are won by skill when all else is somewhat similar.

Just thinking there must be some way that this can be dealt with by the game design.

Maybe one way would be to stop making it so easy to move around in the game by redeploying - not sure how to solve it.

But again I started noticing I spent more time moving from boring slaughter to slaughter trying to find an actual fun fight that I could win or lose and it depended on how well each side fought. I supposed when I was spending this early time immersed in the learning of the game I hadn't noticed until now. Ignorance was bliss lol.
  3. Champagon

i'm learning that i am a hunter myself. Big game out there on the battlefield
  4. Alarox

You most certainly can. Just because everyone around you is being a moron it doesn't mean you need to as well.
    • Up x 1
  5. Einharjar

Make a squad/platoon and try adding some leadership to the mix.

Zerging is a result of no leadership. People will horde when there is no head on the body. As a leader, you can take advantage of this by counting on Zergs as cannon fodder formations. Large scale advances. You're actions else where can actually guide the Zerg to the prize you want to capture on a map like a Techlab or something.

And if you're countering Zerg? Being in an Orginized platoon or squad can utterly obliterate it. Surgical Strikes on logistics and their suppressive armor columns generally break them every time and it doesn't take long to do.

While you speak the truth; no much else goes on aside from Zerg or Counter Zerg - You don't have to be a part of the Zerg to enjoy the game and you don't have to be persuaded simply by numbers.

Lead.
    Assess your situation.
    Execute.
  6. Nasher

It's down to base design, at some of the bases you get a good battle going. Some of them are pure choke points with everyone zerging in to 1 place.
  7. uhlan

You realize, of course, that the game is DRAWING just the sort of people who PREFER this kind of fighting.

The Zerg warriors are far worse than the Spawn Warriors and it is almost always the zerg crowd that condemns the spawn types for cheesey game-play. Since the spawn guys hinder the farming required by the zerg players with their own version of the same.

To me, the spawn warriors are the PENALTY served to the ADD-ridden players that would rather camp outnumbered troops than strike out on their own.

Now, SOE deserve the blame for this situation. In an effort to simulate epic scale combat, the devs have decided that the combat needed to be funneled along to keep the fights decent sized rather than spread out on their huge map. The sheer amount of bases lended itself to ghost capping and a myriad of other ills. Unfortunately, the Lattice was their ham-handed solution..

Had they made fewer bases, a more game-play intensive resource system, large ORGANIC fights would have occured in a more regular fashion on their big map. Had they also included personalized, detail oriented load-outs like PS1, it would have furthered this agenda as well.

The crappy by-product of their efforts are flowcharted, siege oriented and boring game play for the veterans.

The game is suited to new players (although there is information overload at first...) which is an admirable goal, but for those of us who've been here for some time, the game can get really repetitive.

If SOE wants to keep the veterans around it's going to need to up the ante on the meta AND offer folks a way to further "tune" their game-play in some fashion.

So much of what could be possible seems just one or two revamps away, but I think the game is too far along to make any sweeping changes.

The thing is, I do have huge respect for the ability of the small crew handling PS2. I only wish they had the ability to implement the changes necessary.
  8. Iridar51

Fighting against other outfits can be pretty interesting. Besides, nothing, absolutely nothing forces the whole platoon to be in one place.
  9. Sledgecrushr

This is kind of a war simulator. And there are some conditions that you should expect in a war situation. The enemy wants to win and they will do things to assure that victory. Zerging has been a solid strategy in the real world since the ancient egyptians assembled the very first zerg thousands of years ago. Zerging has been a staple of war from time immemorial.
    • Up x 1
  10. patricio_z

LOL, gotta love all these forumside vets going "everything is fine, just L2play" meanwhile were having merge after merge...
    • Up x 2
  11. patricio_z

BTW, OP you are right, this game is most of the time, as SOE wanted, zerg or be zerged, with the occasional and admittedly fun even (ish) fight...
  12. Marxsbeard

Some tips someone who sucked hard then l2p some:
    1. Look at the battle comp before deploying. If you're not doing well, look for 50-55% pop in your favor. When you're better, look for 55% in their favor.
    2. If your side gets pushed back to spawn, pop drops quickly, so redeploy.
    3. If you're spawn camped, stay if these conditions are met: no tank/air zerg and no l33t outfits in the mix. In this case, pull infiltrator with smg/auto-scout. Then cloak, jump out a window, earn kill streak certs.
    • Up x 1
  13. Marxsbeard

3. Alternative: if it's a tower, use the balcony up lift to jump off the tower (even better, use it to jump to the platform under the flight pad, then jump off the end to clear 50% or so of the campers). Then smg or snipe.
  14. Tuco

Or your in a good balanced fight then all of a sudden:

15. Tuco

...and also was responsible for some of the most spectacular failures and pyrrhic victories "from time immemorial", due to logistics costs, getting bottlenecked, increased command difficulties with more troops, not applying economy of force, or just getting end runned cause your zerg is too big and unwieldy to move.....
    • Up x 1
  16. Tuco

I want to sink my teeth into a good fight, and stay there all day, not bounce around the map.

Anyways the only way to deal with underpopped situations is with the PS1 AMS, PS1 mines, PS1 spitfires, pS1 motion detectors. All other thoughts on this topic are dead ends.
  17. Tuco

And if you're in a platoon, than yes, you are the one causing the population imbalance zergs.
  18. Iridar51

No one is forcing platoon to zerg. If platoon leader is smart, he will divide his platoon and send different squads into different fights to ensure everyone is having fun. That is, if platoon leader's and his members' goal is to simply fight and have fun. If platoon leader has different goal ("we must capture territory even if we zerg or ghostcap!11"), then you can always find a different platoon, or lead your own platoon as you see fit.
  19. Rikkit

Andy if you are lucky, you find a platoon, which is able to hold a point against an overpop... that is the moment where you know teamwork is so much OP vs an Zerg without proper lead.
  20. BULLET010

Unfortunately SiegeTank I'd say you're right; half the time the game feels like a zerg. And no matter which side your on it's either boring or frustrating. But I do agree with the previous poster; if you're being zerged let the base go and fall back to the previous base. Better to form a small squad there and provide resistance until back up comes (hopefully). However, the downside to this is that it requires inverse thinking. And most people end up shooting out of the spawn room until the base gets capped. Then they move on.

As for the big picture finding a way to even out numbers would be difficult as much of the fun is found in the ability to explore entire maps (or in this case continents). However, the zerg is a biproduct of that and counters this fun (imo). And I believe that finding a way to balance out the numbers more would enhance the experience.
    Unfortunately finding a way to do that while maintaining large battles probably isn't quite that easy. Unless you have regions in continents and lock people into them somewhat. However, if the world pop is unbalanced...then zergs will probably happen.