SMG-46 Armistice vs PDW-16 Hailstorm?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminiouscow, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Luminiouscow

which one is the better sub-machine gun? and please, don't post wrel's video. i already watched it, and it didn't really help me on making my decision.

Anyways, I want reliability under 25 meters. A decent ttk. Something that works great with the flash suppressor. Something that can stand toe-to-toe with the extremely powerful AF4 Cyclone. Something that's nice for squad gameplay. And something that's nice for the infiltrator/light assault class.
  2. Luminiouscow

Also, the ability to stand up against assault rifles.
  3. Mongychops

If you want to take on the Cyclone, you need the Armistice. The Hailstorm just shoots too slowly.

Unfortunately for the TR, both their SMGs have a rapid rate of bloom, so both get shafted by a flash suppressor, due to all 125 damge weapons having the same bloom per shot as a 143 weapon.

If you want a longer effective range on your SMG, you'll have to look into the NS-7 PDW. It isn't so great under 10m compared to the other SMGs, but with SPA, it keeps a 8 shot kill out to 20m, as well as having superb accuracy for a SMG. I wouldn't recommend it on a LA as you should probably be using a Jag for the same job, but it is an interesting mid-point between the Armistice/Hailstorm and the SOAS-20 for an infiltrator.
    • Up x 1
  4. z1967

Armistice is great for under 10m and kills quickly (but ex mags are basically mandatory if you plan on killing more than one person per mag). For some reason, the ADS accuracy for a SMG is pretty good, giving you reason to use the RMB every once in awhile.

Hailstorm is better at 15m and has lots of bullets to waste. Its also surprisingly accurate for an SMG. Use either ALS (recommended) or foregrip (wat) for good effect.
  5. Cinnamon

Your requirements are pretty steep so neither will work out for you. Just play HA with the MSW as it sounds like something that you will be more likely to enjoy.
  6. FateJH

No SMG is a good substitute for an AR.
    • Up x 2
  7. Lord_Avatar

No SMG will stand up to an Assault Rifle. If a CM has you in his crosshairs at 20+ meters you are as good as dead if you decide to stand your ground.
  8. AnuErebus

The Armistice and Cyclone are the two best SMGs in game. The Hailstorm one of the worst, either last on the list or just in front of the MKV depending on what you want to do. There's a reason the Hailstorm is often referred to as the Failstorm. It simply does not have the damage needed in close quarters to make it a decent weapon and it still has a large amount of damage dropoff making it even worse at mid range. Save yourself the trouble and either stick with the Armistice for close quarters.
  9. Typhoeus

Armistice drops targets faster but has less rounds so you can't afford to miss with it. The hailstorm is slower but more forgiving with double the ammunition. Personally I prefer the armistice.

That said, assault rifles are still better than smg's and you should only be using smg's on your infiltrator. For your light assault or engi, the lynx (or any shotgun) is superior for the same role the armistice fills (cqc) and the jaguar is a good compromise between close/mid range. Finally for mid/long range the AMC-5 is what you'll want.
  10. Vertabrae

Armistice all the way for your infil. For your LA, ditch the smgs totally. Run a Jag for general use, or a shotty or the Lynx for cqc.
  11. Axehilt

I like both about equal.

But something to keep in mind is:
    • If your expected K/D is below 1.5, you want to optimize for "burst". The Armistice's superior RoF is great for that.
    • If your expected K/D is above 1.5, you want to optimize for "sustain". The Hailstorm's higher capacity is great for that.
    Which isn't to say the Armistice is bad in skilled hands. It's still going to achieve great results, you're just going to more often run into situations where you're killed during reload after your 1-2 kills whereas the Hailstorm's 2-3 kills worth of bullets might've got you through those spots.

Personally I only use them on infiltrator. I feel like carbines, LMGs, or assault rifles are just superior weapon types for the other classes. The only class I might consider trying them on would be as a shotgun replacement for LA.
  12. GhostAvatar

I will stop you right there. The answer is neither of them.
  13. Amnoon

I own both SMGs i like the armistice but i personally don't notice the lower Rof of the Hailstorm. I like the 60 rounds + the Laser sight for an effective hipfire, but for me they are very innacurate at some range so i prefer to use the NS7-PDW. (I need to mention that i only use Smgs with the infiltrator class).
  14. The Funk

I prefer the hailstorm for infiltrator due to the mag size for multiple targets. Everyone talks about the high ttk but between usually having the drop on my opponents and the insanely tight hipfire with adv laser I don't have an issue with it.

I did use it for several hundred kills with my LA and it worked fine however I much prefer the new lynx, which seems to me like the gun you're looking for.

So I guess I would say start with the hailstorm so your infil can have a cqc weapon and use the stock carbine (which is a good gun) until you save up for the lynx.

I can't comment on the flash suppressor however as I never use it. If anything just use regular suppressor.