KDR and it's effect on PS2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Huxer, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pnkdth

Stop caring about it. Stop caring about those who care about it. That's my solution, and it has not failed me yet.

Sandbox games are about making your own experience. Is capturing the base your aim? Getting that sunderer? Defending a choke point? Killing as much as possible? Does not matter, when everyone is achieving their own goals they are working towards a larger goal.

The point I am making is that there is room for all players, and their different playstyles and criteria for fun. Stop worrying so much about the opinion of others, and you will have a lot more fun in this game. Stop thinking about some statistic which somehow is supposed to provide an objective and quantifiable measurement of skill. It simply won't happen in PS2.

Now, if I had to choose between a challenging fight where my KDR would not be high versus and KDR farm I will choose the former every single time. Easy fights with high KDR is nothing but an ego boost. I know I am not some first person shooter superstar, but this game sure has the ability to make average gamers feel like it. Noticed this especially when playing with and against "pro-outfits." If this game would ever become competitive, you'd see a lot of currently good players get a rude awakening.
    • Up x 1
  2. TheShrapnelKing

Honestly right now KDR is doing exactly what people always say it does: prevent me from being the most helpful I can be.

See, I've always wanted to have a 2 KDR, but never, ever, ever, ever, ever, in all my years of gaming have I even gotten close because I honestly suck at shooters, even though they're my favourite genre. But in PS2, after pulling 3 months of 3-4 KDRs every play session I have finally gotten my 'real' (ie where revives don't refund deaths) KDR almost to 2 (the better part of the last year I sucked ***). I know it's no longer representative of my actual ability because my day-to-day KDR is actually about 3, but I want to say I worked myself out of the statistical rut I've been in and finally say, statistically speaking, I'm worth more than one man.

Thing is I'm also an Auraxium ***** and I have 3 guns I'm working on Auraxiuming: the EM6, the Railjack and the Carnage. Being a medic with the carnage boosts my SPM in spades whenever I use it, but my KD usually ends up being < 2 due to the fact that the Carnage is a CQB weapon and I simply have never had and never will have the reflexes to excel in CQB. Being so close to my 'dream', you could call it, I'm torn between being a good medic (and I like to think I'm a damn good medic) and a good teammate, and achieving something I've spent the last decade trying to do.

To find out which side I'm leaning towards, you need only note that my killboard for this week contains no Carnage kills.
  3. Whatupwidat

Or rig up a liberator with SC (jk) ;P
  4. Rager

Stop caring about what others do? Would love to do that if this was not a team base game. I mean, have you ever watched almost a whole squad roll up with tanks on biolab and refuse to leave them? Causing a turtle fest because people did not want to push? LOL KDR. Let the scrubs rush in and die.

KDR needs to go, and needs to go last year.
    • Up x 1
  5. Jachim

So basically two of the best farming tools in the game but you never farm with them nope!
  6. TraatAdmiral

Halberd Harasser is one of the best farming tools in the game? Really? It's been forever since I've been killed by a Harasser at all, except when I'm run over by friendlies, which seems to happen every hour or so for some reason. Taking an anti-vehicle loadout really doesn't seem particularly farm-y at all.
    Sniper, eh. Reasonable for increasing K/D once you know what you're doing, which is what the thread's about, but it's still generally one of the slowest ways to earn XP in the game unless you're an absolute boss at it. You'll usually kill far more people by rolling a heavy and just sprinting at the enemy. Granted I'm speaking as someone who snipes a lot, but if you want to farm K/D, be a MAX or tank. Saying that the best farming tools in the game are anything besides HE tanks is pretty silly.
    • Up x 1
  7. ajma

What's the problem with playing the objective and worrying about your KDR at the same time?
  8. Gisgo

Pushing hard to win doesnt exactly help your K/D.
    When you see engies charging and heavies hiding behind a rock there is something wrong...
  9. ajma

Pushing hard to win and being aware of your surroundings does help your KDR, though.
  10. Gisgo

Yes and hiding behind a rock getting easy kills while being aware of your surroundings does help your KDR much, much, much more.
  11. MarkAntony

You know, every time you don't get your butt shot off in one of those rushes you advocate you should thank some of those evil KDR farming players you hate so much. Because they are the ones who kill/suppress the enemy so you can go for more than 2 meters out of cover before you get shot.

Just because not everyone plays your run and gun rush'em playstyle doesn't make them useless.
  12. Revanmug

I doubt you have any idea what you are talking about if you think the Halberd is one of the best farming gun...
  13. Gisgo

Killing an enemy that is going to respawn in 10 seconds and again and again and again and suppressing the enemy are two completely different things.

Its ok if you like to farm your K/D, its your game and your time, just dont hide it behind silly excuses like "suppressing the enemy".
  14. Purg

KDR sucks. I hate it. It influences my play style. I wish it didn't. That's not to mean I'm not an effective team member.

Looking at my players.

NC BR41 - KD 3.89
    NC BR77 - KD 8.94 (designated MAX user of the platoon which buffs my KD - was over 15 until I got bored of using MAX)
    TR BR44 - KD 3.57
    VS BR51 - KD 4.02

BR77 is Briggs - which I haven't used for over a year. I opt to play on Connery at a disadvantage with the other 3 accounts. I don't use vehicles much with those characters and I don't MAX all that often on them, but I'll avoid being grinded up in a fight I know is pointless. I wish I didn't care that I died, but I do. I clearly don't complain about KD because I have a crap KD. KD is a de-motivational statistic. It does shape my playstyle. I wish I could run out in a last ditch effort, odds severely stacked against me without a care in the world and have a crack.. but it does affect me, and I'll simply redeploy and set up elsewhere.

Long time FPS player. CS - there were no recorded KD, I could go 0-15 and wouldn't care. Next round all was forgotten. PS2, nothing is forgotten and I play conservatively accordingly. I wish I was free of KD.
  15. pnkdth

Sorry, which part of not caring about your KDR, or care about those who care about it, did you not understand? Or are you implying that only people who care about their KDR care about teamplay? I'm getting confused here.
  16. Huxer

I apologize to the people who were reading my initial thread. My workday was over yesterday and I went home. The thread kinda went into this weird place all kdr thread go, people talking about how they want it removed or talking about how people don't help or whatever. The original thread had little to do with that topic but people feel the need to talk out their butts without reading. It's natural, I get it. I'm going to point back to the original discussion then probably just let this one die hoping the dev team had a chance to take a look at our earlier discussions.

I proposed a change to the stat tracking and filtering or kdr to separate them into categories such as infantry, vehicle, and air. In the end I believe that under this system that people would stop caring about kdr other than infantry kdr which would end up being of your standard cs variety. One of the contributers suggested a system of reward that better represents the game concept that the dev team has in place, I like this idea and believe it would be a fantastic way for people to do the things we know need done in fights. I thought about it overnight some and while I still support his idea I can see where it would need more work as a concept, I also feel that kdr should still be in the picture under this new system but with the modified filtering.

Okay yea, so there's my take on the overnight crowd...boo:) Geeze, doing a forum post is almost as much herding cats as leading a platoon :p
  17. Noppa

KDR is only for showing off, just kidding.. it is some serious business, true story bro!

I mainly keep track on my KDR / sessions so i know that i am playing on the level i should be, it shows me if i play like crap or not(not counting farming in this)!
  18. ILoveLucy

these stat symbols will never go away, you know why? psychology. People analyze/study human behaviors and implement that knowledge into games like this. The goal is to manipulate you into spending more money. MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY! Like shotguns and the PPA, KD/R will never go away.
  19. GeneralPeragorn

I was using those two as they are pretty much the opposite for each other, meaning that I would do anything in between. And the halberd Harasser is one of the worst farming tools in the game by a large margin. It's easier to keep a higher infantry KD.
  20. Champagon

KDR causes "pro" players to lose focus of the primary objective, help their faction succeed and thus turning it into lone wolfing/"THIS WEP IS TOO OP" whining. KDR should be removed, as a matter of fact it should have never been in this game in the first place. You attract the worst kind of FPS player when there is a KDR stat in a game of this type