Observations from an older gamer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vertabrae, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Afeltman

You're obviously a young one.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. doombro

Is this turbonerd trying to diss the based oxford comma?
  3. Plunutsud pls

I've been gaming for about 20 years now.

Yes, I do miss the good old days when video games had a lot more character and soul.

Back then, devs made sure they were putting out a quality product because they knew that sales would either make or break their game.

Then the internet happened, people started ripping and pirating games - so the gaming industry hit back.

Now we have people paying to play "early access" alpha versions (imagine that a decade or more ago - people would have laughed in your face), while "finished" products are usually nothing more than a beta - and the game often gets dumped by devs soon after they make their initial profit from it.

I admit that I like free to play for the fact that you can try the game before spending any money on it.

But yeah, I also have to admit that f2p has also helped devolve the gaming industry into little more than a money-making monster.

Just one example is how Mechwarrior Online took decades of extensive lore and boiled it down to nothing but TDM.
    • Up x 4
  4. JudgeNu

We should start an over 40 outfit call it G33zR
    • Up x 1
  5. Paragon Exile

I've always wondered how many older folks play "intense" games like FPS' and RTS'.

I frequently play with a guy who is 84 (!) years old in my favorite strategy game, and he says he doesn't know either. So many questions! So few answers!
  6. Sawfly

As long as you put your glasses on so the screen isn't fuzzy and take a few pills for the finger arthritis you're fine :)
    • Up x 2
  7. CWorth

I am 40 years old and I love those types. Been gaming since..well my first "game" I played was Pong..lol

Best RTS game series I ever played and still play against with friends is the Warhammer 40K Dawn of War series.
    • Up x 2
  8. Plunutsud pls

84? Are you sure he's that old?

Most people don't even live that long, I can't imagine someone playing video games at that age.
  9. NinjaTurtle

I'm 26 and I find the youth of today to be bizarre and I don't understand it either.

I hate it when people don't write using the correct spelling and I hate all the #hashtag nonsense

Grumble grumble
    • Up x 4
  10. Plunutsud pls

I always try to adapt in order to be on the same footing with the community.

Don't want to fall behind and get stuck in the old timers' club, while the aspiring youth steams ahead.

#YeleSweg
  11. Fr0stbitten

Two words: microtransactions and DLC's.
    • Up x 3
  12. Camycamera

13. Phyr

25, you little whipper snapper.
  14. Cinnamon

The something awful forum members have fairly large numbers in planetside 2 and they bring along their own inside jokes that aren't really that funny generally. Which is why they are inside jokes I guess and not jokes told by some popular comedians. So really it's not a sign of being too old as the something awful community itself is quite established and dragonball z itself is a pretty old reference by now. It's just that you are not familiar with their brand of tom foolishness.
  15. t31os

Both questions have several answers, no one answer applies to all references and chat. Some number usage in chat is for shortening words to make them faster to type(eg: m8 is much faster to type than mate, and most people understand it), other times it's just people wanting to look cool/elite/whatever by typing in some form of 1337 speak. Jumping around, there are a number of reasons, heck i do it when i'm bored and waiting for new orders from the PL, to help pass the time and keep my fingers awake.

In my mid 30's to, but i've been PC gaming(and an internet user) for a long time and shamefully do understand most references unfortunately. :(
    • Up x 2
  16. Pootisman

You are a gamer since Atari times and you dont know leet speak? Do you live under a rock?

"Ginyu Forces" is from Dragon Ball Z. DBZ was a very popular TV series when the mid 20s were children.
  17. Pootisman

Haha.
    A honest answer from a dev.
    • Up x 1
  18. Strummer

Yup we're not the future of gaming but we are financing it. I saw an article recently that said more gamers are over 30 than under 17 these days, so never let anyone tell you to "grow up and stop gaming".

45 here. My step dad is close to 70 and still games. Such an inspiration to me. *single tear of pride*
    • Up x 1
  19. DrPapaPenguin

[IMG]

:p

You know, when it comes to FPS, there are only 2 ages - before CoD and after CoD. At least that's what we seem to judge by (i.e. we call them "CoD kiddies"). At least that's kind of when the mainstream surfaced its head, and the "new generation was born". As for 1337speak - I'm only 22, and I just ignore it whenever it pops up, cos I just CBA translating it to proper english :p So yeah, I'm a grandpa too :p
  20. DQCraze

I'm 49 I get most of the stuff, If I don't know something I just Google it and add it to my vernacular. Yes, I got pong for Christmas, yes I put a billion quarters into Asteroids, Street fighter and Pac Man. Contra and Wow have my consecutive hours played records along with Doom and Quake. Ah the good olé days when games had some substance.
    • Up x 1