Squad spawn on Galaxies needs to go.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celeris, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Verviedi

No. Also, remove the ability for bursters to fire through spawn room shields. You think Galaxies are OP? What about INVINCIBLE AIR WRECKING EXOSKELETONS??
  2. CameronLancaster

I just don't agree with the fact that there's virtually no reason to use a Sunderer when you can have a bigger, better Sunderer that can fly and drop people on point, totally ignoring the no-deploy zone.

Galaxies are best in small fights where the ability to only spawn in Platoon members isn't an issue--when 12-24 people dropping directly onto the point can hold without outside assistance that a Sunderer would grant. Coincidentally, they are also the most durable and least in danger in small fights where the likelihood of someone pulling an ESF/Liberator to counter them is decreased.

In addition, because of engine limitations, it is not possible to attack a Galaxy with anti-air when they are hovering far above the facility you're trying to defend.

This is not fun. The tools to get rid of a Sunderer are readily available at every facility. One, maybe two Lightnings is enough to take out a Sunderer if it's not being actively defended, and they can be pulled from any vehicle terminal. In order to take out a Galaxy, you NEED an air unit, which could be as many as three hexes away from where you are now.
  3. Lamat

How dare they shoot at you while you camp their spawn room from the air.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dead soldier

I wish my computer was strong enough to record, but 2 days ago on amerish, 3 Gals loaded with troops left the TR warpgate. I was soloing in a lib. I killed all the gals simply by flying underneath them and using the tankbuster. None of the gals reached their destination and I flew away with only half my health because stupid debris almost got me.
  5. Slaughter919

Yesterday I was playing on Indar and a horde of NC were sitting over a base constantly flying Galaxies over the base for squad deployments. Fortunately I trialed out the walker for this period of time too see if I could find a better weapon than the Marauder for multiple instances of use on my Prowler, Halberd is decent but doesnt' do much for AIR, Basilisk is ok, but very iffy against Infantry, Fury.... lol, Vulcans good for AV and some Close Range Air work, but useless for infantry. If the Walker could aim down slightly further, it would be the perfect secondary for me, even though it only tickles the Galaxies. I sat on a cliff just sniping them, floating over the bases not even moving. Shell after shell hit them, and in between I would light them up with several clips from the walker which I have a very good time of aiming with, I probably have 60% accuracy beyond 200 meters with it and over 75% within that distance. I just watched as seemingly AFK galaxy's got rocked with shell after shell, some taking as many as 7-8 shells, then 4 clips full of Walker Rounds and flying off in the mean time another Galaxy would take its place and I would immediately commence firing on them. I had to go back to an ammo depot 2 times to reload shells and walker ammo and I barely got a couple assists thanks to some wandering Mossies.

If they are going to use 7-8 vehicle secondary's that all have such niche rolls to fill, then they need to add re fitting stations for quick swapping from SkyGuards to AP Lightnings, Heat Prowlers with Halberds to an AP Prowler with a Vulcan, etc... Otherwise you have to try and guess the perfect roll your going to need your tank for before you even engage in battle, and 90% of the time your wrong. Or at the very least, allow minimal refitting stations that allow a single item to be changed per use and you can even make them cost 50-100 resources per swap, so people would still have to be fairly smart about their load outs.
  6. Dhabu

This. I'm fine with current Galaxy mechanics; it's obviously strong on Hossin, but that's just one continent out of 4; everywhere else, Galaxies have minimal cover and present big, floating, easy-to-hit targets for all forces, ground and air. Using a spawn-gal requires the coordinated effort and discipline of an entire squad; congratulations to any who use it correctly. (And yes, I've been on the receiving end of this tactic numerous times. It hurts, but I respect it).

That said, the people in the target base SHOULD be able to look/aim straight up and shoot at it. There's no reason I can see for artificially restricting infantry/MAX upward aiming to anything less than 90 degrees up.
  7. Verviedi

Why would I do that? If enemies are camped in the spawn room they are invincible and not providing me any certs. What is the logic in camping spawns? If you allow the enemy to leave, more and more will leave, providing you with more sustainable farming.

Also, I run a full Air to Air Skywhale loadout. Air is not easily destroyed by bulldogs, but equipping certed out Drakes will protect the Skywhale more.
  8. Zakuak

Good lord...

If you have pop in the contested region then man up and pull gear to kill the bird. If you do not have pop in the contested region then man up re-dep/respawn to a nearby location that allows you to pull gear to kill the bird.

Launchers
    ESFs
    Burster Max
    Tanks
    Hits from any of the above work wonders in making a Gal pilot move off station.

Now if your one those dudes who sits in a region with 4 other players while a 12-24 Gal group comes in for the ghost....your setting your self up to be pissed if you try and engage from spawn to points....move out, grab air from a few hex over...be creative.
  9. LibertyRevolution

Gals don't care about getting hit with rockets...
    ESF.. an ESF cost only 50 less than gal, saying pull an ESF is a BS answer, that is like saying pull a lib to counter a lib..
    Burster maxes cannot kill a gal that is at the flight ceiling, they don't even render.
    Tanks cannot kill a gal that is at the flight ceiling..

Non rendering gals at the flight ceiling dropping guys out of what appear to be thin air is BS and needs to be removed.
    Make it so they can only be a squad spawn if they are landed.
    • Up x 1
  10. FateJH

It doesn't need to be gotten rid of; it just needs a meaningful limitation.
    A spawn-in timer, like with spawn beacons, but not as dramatic, is my suggestion. "Versatile spawn points; very slow spawning."
  11. MajiinBuu

If it gets a timer, it better be open to everyone. (they'd instantly drop out, otherwise galaxy would fill up quick)
    Otherwise why would a squad even bother if there was a long timer? 5 minutes is almost enough time to bring another galaxy!
    If I see another galaxy floating at the height ceiling as a mobile spawn, I simply ram it with with my mobile spawn.
  12. Zakuak

Ah yes good point Liberty...I slightly read past the "at ceiling" part...
    I'm sure they could devise some sort of limitation on altitude for spawning....make it not terrain based but always at least 200 meters below ceiling before the spawn ability is functional or terrain based would work as well I suppose.
  13. Erilis

Just curious what kind of affect you think the Valkyrie will have then?
  14. Ronin Oni

Uhm, because Gals only work for the squad and you need faction level spawn if you want to win most fights?

Also a platoon can have 4 sunderers, lose one and another deploys.

A platoon has 4 Gals. Lose one and it lost 1/4th of it's force.

The difference here is so huge I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply TBQH
  15. Ronin Oni

But they could make it terrain based.

In a Gal (or any aircraft) you have both altitude (above sea level) and distance to ground below you.

So the number is always there... I'd recommend using that # over the flat Altitude which changes DRAMATICALLY comparing say....... Zurvan and Skydock.
  16. Phyr

The only problem with Gals, is that they can sit at flight ceiling while spawning troops. If I have trouble rendering the galaxy because of how far up it is, it shouldn't be able to drop troops on my head.
  17. kirinohana

I posted a thread about this not to long ago myself. Seeing it to often and being basically abused and destroying small fights. Basically you have a flying mobile fortress of infinite spawning. It was removed from the gals functionality for this same reason. For squads they are way better then sundies.

But dont worry forumside will give you the same bs they gave me when I asked for reasonable consessions like having to land to spawn people or respawn time restrictions. They will says something like "team up" or "shoot them, its easy" and similar bs. Dont worry its ok to ruin the game for anything but a squad zerg, nothing should challenge air.

Forumside: "We want more meta and logistics, respawn and redeploy are to common/easy.", Forumside: "infinite spawning mobile fortresses who are out of reach and do not need to transport anything are balanced"
  18. Saber15

What really bugs me about squad spawning on Gals is that they sit up at the max flight height, which basically means that you can't hit them from the base they're hovering over since the game caps vertical aiming at something like 85 degrees up; too low to hit gals with Dual Bursters.
  19. Lamat

Well you shouldn't be able to safely drop from higher than 200-300m above ground. You used to die if it was too high, when did they change that?
  20. CameronLancaster

I addressed this in the second paragraph. Please read more carefully. I'm not sure why you're bothering to reply either if you only read the first paragraph.