Dogfighting is Annoying

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bossaru, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Ronin Oni

No, you're trying to undo the one thing that makes dogfighters in PS2 enjoy actually dogfighting in PS2.

Like BF4 dogfighting? Play BF4 then, and keep to the ground in PS2.

I can tell you I FAAAR prefer PS2's far more dynamic system.

It's fine if you don't like it. Don't do it then.

How hard is that?

Oh, and you can STILL FLY if you don't like it, just don't dogfight.

Take an AI nosegun, AB fuel tanks, Racer, and farm infantry with thermals and scout radar. Enemy ESF? Haul tail back to friendly AA.

PS2's flight model is actually fun and I swear I'll track down anyone who causes it to get changed and hunt you (not really... but seriously, I'll be pissed as hell. I'm not even that great at it compared to the ACEs who smoke me everytime I run into them)
  2. Ronin Oni

Cause we really need more pilots anyways.

If you can't deal with it. If you can't learn and take your licks to get there, then you have NO PLACE in the air.

Sick of all the hand holding in games these days.

You know what they should do? They should fly themselves on predetermined paths and we just control a turret gun to shoot stuff. THEN EVERYONE CAN DO IT!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ACCESSIBILITY!
  3. SNAFUS

AA alienates them, G2A alienates them, trees alienate them, enemy pilots are a threat but not their greatest lol. Your idea of creating a cert tree directly effects new players by making a maneuver which is available on a stock ESF to everyone only available to people who certed into, directly blocking a new player access to a basic component of ESF game play. I have helped teach many a pilot on how to fly in this game man and your ideas will only hurt them further.
  4. Champagon

My cert line idea was just an idea, I am currently debating with you to see if there is a better idea or something that is obviously a problem due to the threads that pop up frequently
  5. Ronin Oni

The better idea is to learn how to bloody well use the mechanics.

and you DON'T NEED TO DOGFIGHT TO FLY

Just RUN AWAY if you don't like dogfighting. My AI nosegun ESF's do it ALL THE TIME and I have like an 80-90% escape success rate.

Of course, I still use vertical AB thrust when making my attack runs...

BECAUSE IT'S A MAIN COMPONENT OF HANDLING YOUR ESF AND YOU SHOULD LEARN IT
  6. SNAFUS

If they want new players to do better all that is needed is a very well explained tutorial video showing the abilities of the ESF along with key things to watch out for. To actually perform the reverse maneuver is quite easy and is simply one small step in mastering the overall air game as a whole. There is no easy way around it for new players, they will have to suffer just as every other pilot has had to and learn through their failures. Flying in PS2 is hard and that will never change, yet it is in my opinion the most rewarding aspect to master because of that difficulty. I'm 110% behind giving new players good intel on how things work but you won't be helping them in the slightest by nerfing ESF maneuverability as that is our only way we stay alive.
  7. Champagon

A tutorial video sounds like a good solution, or maybe a training arena in VR? Because if reverse maneuver is that much of a crutch that it MUST be learned to be successful at air, then new players need some way to learn it easily. and let them decide to use it or not
  8. SNAFUS

They have already stated they intend on allowing duels or friendly fire in the VR though it is just as easy to practice now with out damage notifications. There are easy ways for new players to learn it though, as I said before there are hundreds of videos showing it or actually giving instructions on how to perform it. Simply an aspect of the game currently that takes more player responsibility to gain that knowledge or them to simply ask for help. I mean I agree that more should be done to help the casual Joe get into the skies but I play quite a few games that required me to do some home work first so to fully understand them, EVE most of all. The tools and resources are there currently, be it not visible in game it is there none the less, players need to show the incentive to actually look for them or at the very least ask for help.
  9. Kalivix

Well it also depends who has the dog fight frame as without that you can't turn quickly enough even if you know what to do.
  10. Herby20

I have something like 6800 kills with my M18 Rotary. When I fight people who try flying an ESF like a traditional plane, floating in the air is in fact all I have to do.While they are busy trying to do passes on me, I am shooting them the entire time.
  11. Badname707

So when you're fighting bad pilots, you don't have to move, is what you're saying.
  12. Progapanda

I don't know anyone who I'd consider an ace or even a good pilot that uses Dogfighter. Everyone I play with uses Hover frame.