Trying to improve awareness still outplayed alot

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jur270, Jul 13, 2014.

1. JuggNuttz

i feel you, i really do.... i always feel like i suck really bad.... and at times i do. i used to be pretty damn good at shooters, think back to UT, CS and CoD:UO days... honeslty, practice, practice and more practice goes along way, im still not very good, and i dont play a whole lot, but i can tell a difference between when i jump in after a layoff, vs when i been playing for a bit. i dont think ill ever be top of the leader boards, but i can start to kill enough to where im having a good time.

also yeah.... i feel the same much of the time, where it seems like im unloading a clip into someone while im getting 1-shot.... i think much of it is perception... i hope.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rift23

If all else fails, use the perks/implants.

--SOE
    • Up x 1
  3. Jur270

thanks for your responses
  4. Thrasis

Just cert out your guns correctly and get nanoweave/flak armor to 4 and things get better.

I can spot a new player instantly. He's the guy who can't control his guns because they have no forward grips and is using iron sights and generally has horrible aim as a result. I was one of those for months and couldn't figure out why I almost never won a 1-on-1 face to face.

Then I got better guns and certed them out correctly and now I get kills at a fairly steady pace. I still suck compared to many of the players but I am not a lamb led to the slaughter every time I face off against a higher rank. My weapons actually work because they are better than the defaults and they have scopes and grips and the right ammo for the ranges I'm fighting at.

SoE should sell everything in the game for SC, with maybe ranks available at certain thresholds, like BR10 and BR20. The reason the game is not attracting large numbers of new players is that if you play it for a week the odds are really good you'll throw your hands up and walk away to something better. That's what the combination of learning curve plus crappy gear does.

They should fix the gear part of it. The learning curve will become a lot more bearable when they do that. For paying customers who will actually support the game so SoE can put more development into it.
  5. Iridar51

Your problem doesn't seem to stem from bad awaraness. Even the best players get caught off guard.

You have troubles with picking your engagements and playing in a team. Join an outfit.
  6. lolB0b

At least you are sticking around so there is people left to farm :D

Jokes aside, what is your experience with shooters? A lot of the people still left in Planetside have been playing their whole life.

I think that I'm in a bad position to give any advice, but I'd say that you should focus on the killing and less on the teamwork.
    Grab a Heavy with the MSW-R and join fights which your team is already winning. Try killing as many helpless foes as possible and staying alive as long as possible. This should make you more comfortable fighting and help you later on in less advantageous situations.
  7. EddiesMinion

This. A thousand times this. I can't tell you how much my gameplay improved from joining a well led squad/platoon. From not sticking around to get farmed, having friendly medics to pick you back up, to just being better positioned and having someone watching your back - the game gets so much more fun as an organised group. :)
  8. Lamat

1) Practice your aim, if that's an issue. Are you hip firing or aiming down the sight? There is a time and place for both.

2) If you spot an enemy who doesn't see you, hold your fire until you can position yourself to kill him quickly. If you shoot too soon (and he has cover near by) you may have just lost that kill plus he is now aware of you. Since you are TR you will probably want to close the distance more.

3) If an enemy does spot you but there is still distance or obstacles between you, don't do what the enemy expects and just run straight at him shooting. Turn around an object unexpectedly, or look like you are running away from him. Don't be predictable.

4) If in a closer ranged shootout don't just stop and shoot at the enemy, keep moving, take partial cover (you'd be surprised how many stray bullets hit a waist high object)

5) Make sure you bring the right weapon for the job, will you be running around a base or in more open land? You don't want a shotgun/SMG out in a field and you don't want a battle rifle / long ranged LMG in a biolab. The only exceptions are once you are good enough to not be reading these tips.

6) Attachments: Use 1x or 2x scopes 99% of the time, unless you play a lot of infilrator or long range work.

7) Sidearms: practice switching to your sidearm a lot, do it instead of reloading if in a bind, pick a sidearm that contrasts your primary (commish is good with a shotgun, spammy repeater with a sniper rifle etc)
  9. Kuriby

How to get better at FPS games.

Step 1) Go download Steam

Step 2) Download Counter-Strike GO

Step 3) Do not play PS2, BF series, CoD series

Step 4) After you reach a "average ranking" in CS:GO, download Tribes Ascend

Step 5) If you can manage a 2-3 KDR in Tribes Ascend go back to PS2

Step 6) Laugh at how stupid PS2 players are and enjoy your 3.0 KDR average
  10. Snowplow

I am not good yet ether but this is the best game that will ever be made hands down. I will practice everyday and will be playing this on the ps4 for the best play ever. MAX Graphics for 400.00 dollars compared to 3k dollars. And yes you will get better with everyday you play . And i also played cs back in the day . i was rank 8th out of 198k. I suck now and will get better and will buy hundreds of dollars worth of stuff for this game because i think this is the best game ever.
  11. Yuki10

If you want to make this game enjoyable - forget about KD. Once you star looking at it, your playtime will not be fun. not to say that you shouldn't improve or try to get better, but thinking about KD doesn't help.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sulsa

A game like this is built around teamwork and supporting others.
    I will do engi stuff all night and absolutely love it and probably have a KDR of about .1
    Other times I will go infil and get runs that could have my KDR at 5.0+

Do what the others say: forget KDR and enjoy being a small part of this glorious war machine. It really is quite f***ing amazing!
    • Up x 1
  13. Jachim

So you're sad for being average? I gues that's better than most threads. Stop worrying about K/D and focus on Score per Hour. If you're getting higher there, then that is the improvement you should be proud of.
    • Up x 1
  14. AnnPerkins

Gotta keep your ears open. You can hear cloakers a mile away, maxes are easy to hear too (so glad they nerfed the silent VS Maxes), vehicles make pretty distinct noises as well so does anyone who spots. You hear another faction spot your class either run as fast as you can to some cover or turn and waste the guy.

Pick your fights. Good way to have decent SPH and KDR is to jump around to smaller defensive battles. Don't join an attack fight unless it's about a 50/50 pop. Too much team pop and you're going to be sitting around. Too much defender pop and your guys are still in the process of being destroyed. If you really want to attack you will need a squad and a sunderer or galaxy. Attacking with any less is usually suicide.

Read the battle! This is easier than you might think. If you're attacking and your sundies are all down or if the fight is large enough and you're on your last one it is probably over. You can try and pick off some of the defenders trying to finish you off but know that you are in the process of being overrun and you are going to want to redeploy.

Defending is pretty easy to figure out, too. Just him M look at your map. If the enemy have >66% pop it's game over. For those of you unfamiliar with how percents work this means you are quite literally outnumbered 2:1. Try and hold the cap point as long as you can but once you lose that just head somewhere else.
  15. FieldMarshall

I see you mostly play HA. Its one of those classes that hugely rely on awareness.
    Compared to Infil who has cloak to hide, Medics/Engineers who stay behind friendlies to revive/repair.
    LAs also rely heavily on awareness, but unlike HAs, they can sometimes get into vertical semi-safe vantage points.
    So as HA, you feel poor awareness more than the other classes.

Tips:

Try to stay behind the frontlines. Use friendlies as shields.
    When enemies start shooting at friendlies, you can see where they are and pop out of cover to take shots at them.

Indoors, try to wait for friendlies to enter doorways etc. before you whenever you can.
    That way if there is something there they will usually engage them instead soaking up damage, mines, rockets etc etc.

Constantly check your minimap. Also (alot of people dont like it, but) press H to expand your minimap and make it larger.
    It wont actually make things on it larger and easier to see, but it will cover a larger area of the continent.
    Zooming all the way in and expanding it can make it easier to spot enemies who are getting too close.
    Also, with a larger minimap you are more likely to remember checking it from time to time if you have awareness problems.

Kind of poor, but its all the advice i can come up with.