Kind of don't get the concept

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shadi, Jul 13, 2014.

1. DK22

well then, why do anything at all...
    • Up x 1
  2. LUCAGRABACR

• Have fun.
    • Kill enemies, capture bases, lock continents to show that you, your outfit and your faction is better than the others at that particular time.
    • Read the lore. (it adds a lot of fun, trust me)
    • Be good in things you like doing in the game and then enjoy the fact that you're one of the good players in one of the best online FPS games that still has a lot of potentials, and pretty much the only MMOFPS worth playing out there.
    • Spend some of your hard earned bucks to look fabulous while killing others.
    Then you will see the points ;)
    • Up x 3
  3. libbmaster

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR!
    • Up x 1
  4. hurtl2305

The point of the game is to play with others, definetly. Teamplay is the key aspect of the game, it is as simple as that, and if you find a bunch of people you like playing with, you'll have a lot of fun with the game.
  5. Ragmon

That is quite a nihilistic view there Billy. So Bobby, if you apply the same reasoning to life then you will see that its all about what you make of it all.
    "Whats the point then?". Let me tell you Barry, its about making your own fun, playing with friends and giving yourself challenges. No other shooter provides you with such a huge open world FPS experience. (for crying out loud, no more match-making bullsh1t).

So what do you say Bruce, will you stay and play one of the most progressive PvP MMO FPSs ever created?
    • Up x 1
  6. Axehilt

Once, it is rumored, there was a shooter called The War to End All Wars. It was a F2P shooter where a side could actually win the war. Which happened in the first week. Then the company went out of business. After all they'd just invested hundreds of millions of dollars on a game that lasted a week, and then provided no revenue.

So you can't play that game. (If it ever existed at all. Which it didn't.)

If having fun isn't sufficient motivation for you to play a fun, deep game, then Planetside 2 might not be for you. But if delving into a deep game that will reward skill improvement for years sounds fun, you might find a reason to stay.
    • Up x 4
  7. ronjahn

You have to set your own goals and victory conditions in this game.

It can definitely be tough for a new player to see the whole picture because it takes some time to understand the map, the battle flows, and what you can do to actually "win."

If you have played a lot of round-based shooters you will be used to a timer ending or a objective having been achieved to mark the end of a match. In planetside, neither of those happen.

If you are having fun, if your squad is having fun, and you and your squad are having a successful session, then you are on the right track for getting the "point" of this game.

For example, yesterday my friend and I spent an hour session driving around on flashes, blowing up enemy sunderer's. A screen never popped up to tell me that I "won," but I knew that what we did helped our team defend those bases and I had a lot of fun. That is the point.
  8. Pikachu

Why you steal my color?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  9. JudgeNu

It is what a 'Persistent battlefield' is.
    The rewards for domination are average imo.
    If they were to upgrade rewards for domination I am afraid most would gravitate to the dominating faction to make it completely one-sided.
    Some could argue that it has already happened in part.

Bottom line is to try to enjoy the game.
  10. Erilis

That's very insightful. I used to play Battlefield 2 a lot then stoppped. Years later I played PS2 for the first time and have really enjoyed it since. I then got my hands on Battlefield 4 and found it lacking and the maps seem even smaller than they were in BF2... I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you put into words what I guess has happened to my perception after playing PS2.
    • Up x 2
  11. volth

After playing PS2 for two years soon, I don't get the concept of games like COD or BF anymore. I mean... you play with random players without any teamwork at all, in few small maps in these "matches" and if you want to play more than few maps you have to buy map packs etc. After you "win" or "lose" the fight nothing at all happens. Next map is loaded that has no connection to the previous map in any way or you play the same map over again like nothing ever happened.

Isnt it the same with CL? You fight on a map and try to capture it then it lock and when it open again it have reset to 33/33/33%.

And when you lock a map PS2 kick you out from your locked map to another map there you shall do the exact thing again, try to caputre the map lock, get kicked to the next map try to capture map lock, maybe the first map unlock and it have reset so its a new map and you try to capture and lock it again.

Before CL if a faction locked you to the warpgate you could still spawn on the continent and try to take the map back.
  12. Zakuak

^ Nailed it for me...
    I can't even be bothered with BF much anymore and I've played that since BF2 came out...I'll log in for a match every once in a long while but it's so ...bleh..

The persistence in PS2 is for sure an element that has kept me playing since launch.
    • Up x 1
  13. MasterCheef

i felt the exact same way when i first started playing- and this was over a year ago.

My advice is that if you stick with it for a while and focus on ranking up your character, you'll begin to understand the flow of the game and enjoy the tactical side more. As soon as i began to "get it", i joined an outfit and that helped to further increase my enjoyment.

its at the point now where this is one of my top favorite FPSs. It ruined many competitive multiplayer FPS for me.

...............or you may not EVER like it. Who knows? its free, just dont give up on it too early.
  14. Crashsplash

The idea was supposed to be that it's a war between three empires with the outfits cooperating together to defeat their enemies.

Unfortunately, this has become lost. The devs seem to have decided it wasn't necessary in this iteration of the game or that it can be postponed for a few more years.
  15. Codex561

You aim a virtual gun at pixels and click... it's kinda fun you know!
  16. Ometen

Sadly the point of the game is to get certs and thats it atleast for the most players :(
    The most important thing for me is fun!
    For example if i fly arround and see a completly stock galaxy i just scare him and mess with him but let him escape at the end so he feels he just achieved something awesome and had a close escape :D
  17. AshHill07

I don't get why people have this issue with Planetside but not with Battlefield or Call of Duty. The claim of Planetside 2 not having a point to it is equally true in both Battlefield and Call of Duty, if not more so.
    • Up x 1
  18. MasterCheef

people DO have issues with BF and CoD. where have you been? I dont think there is a game out there without a vocal disappointed fan base, unless its some indie title few know about.
  19. Ometen

I think it is beouse those games are round based and at the end of every round you have the stats and the obvious winner.
    Alerts trying to give us the same feeling but if you always play in the team with the less players you wouldnt consider the outcome of the end of the round to be valid.
    • Up x 1
  20. DatVanuMan

The point is: Enjoy the massive nerfs and Terran buffs that occur on a weekly basis! But really, this game is the best one I've ever played in my life. The real point is: To enjoy the beauty of it all. The large maps, the massive battles, the dramatic moments of heroism... That's the point of this game. I mean, I would like it if continent-locking was achieved by doing this: Once you've reached domination on a continent, the other factions' warpgates are able to be attacked. Taking one rewards you with 15 certs, and taking both gives you 60. That is, if you are able to take both one at a time. I think this would add to the "end" feeling, that a faction can indeed "win" in this game. Ideas and/or suggestions?
    • Up x 1