I'm close to quiting Tanking.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Fortress

So uh, you're pulling an AV tank (because of some "real tanker" delusion) and you're getting upset when you don't do that well against infantry?

Isn't that kind of the idea? Don't get me wrong, I understand your argument. Infantry are such an omnipresent threat that I enter every engagement with c4 fairies in mind, but that's why I roll with the viper. Trust me, infantry aren't so scary when you have a 75mm autocannon on a regenerating farm chariot.

Let your infantry take care of the tanks, move to AI (which is really what tanks are good at), win battles, and bask in your new found farm.
  2. andy_m

Took the words right out of my mouth...
  3. FateJH

Enough people will usually cover the point; enough people will usually cover the spawn room(s); someone has to watch the Sunderers and perimeter for incoming Armor. Infantery have already made it very clear that Vehicles are not welcome doing either of the first two tasks, and may already be tied up doing the former two.

So you propose the drive intentionally drive it in front of the spawn room or a game of "what will blow it up first?" Sounds fine, as long as you are willing to drop C4 in blatant sight of the spawn room door with expectations that people will shoot at it for the same purpose; then, keep doing that until you run dry. Actually, this comment definitely explains why there's always a buffoon who runs through ally lanes of fire and in front of the spawn room doors to try and goad enemies out. I hope that's what that person is doing anyway.
    Distracting enemy Armor from one of your spawn points by driving away from the spawn point is valiant, I'll give the driver that, but it'd be better to work to destroy the enemy Armor that is incoming in defense of the spawn point.

Because strong Infantry will stop any reinforcements that does try to fight back into the base from the perimeter / outside, ja? Moreover, what you are suggesting is throwing away important engagement assets for paltry, immediate reasons. Not everything is a C4 satchel.

I'm going to end my reply with three words: "terse," "dismissive," and "short-sighted."
    • Up x 1
  4. Riku

Hi there :)

Just politely pointing out that it is. ;)

I don't disagree with you, but even though I don't pilot tanks very much I think it's largely an experience issue. We more often flip than get blown up by bricks. Mines are worse, which brings me to the next point...

I agree, even with rank 3. Even in the slowrider sometimes you just cant stop in time. But sometimes it works.
    Extend the range a little, please! Enough so that prowlers can avoid mines, too.

I'm that "secondary gunner buddy", and I can tell we achieved killstreaks of over a dozen tanks sometimes in raging battles yesterday, and it was no exception. It really is a l2p issue to a large extent. If you're doing AI, however, radar is probably the best you can bring...at least in a swagrider.

R.
  5. Govedo13

Here is your huge mistake.
    The battlefield have flow and you need to follow it. If the battle flow dictates to kill more armour then and then only you pull AP. Some battles cannot be flanked. I am running Heat/Saron in 90% of the time. I run AP/Saron in 5% of the time an Heat/PPA in 5% of the time. I does not have HE and does not intent to acquire it.
    I have Halberd as well but prefer Saron.

My Heat/Saron loadout gives me good chance to win vs everything. This setup is okish vs infantry and kill without problems lightnings/sundies and mbts. Ye I could die vs good dedicated AP/AP user but I face only one such to 100 infantryman.
    Taking thermals and fighting infantry is also part of the tank usage sometimes if the enemy field huge amount of infantry and no vehicles. Learn to adapt to the flow of battle and pull whatever is needed. In fact in one tank run you would encounter more infantry then enemy vehicles so you need to be prepared for it.

Your assumptions about HE are quite wrong- it is unneeded provided you can aim. It does poorly against other tanks because it does less damage vs them and have 1 second more reload time (read around 40% less DPS then HEAT). HE is tool for new players that cannot aim their HEAT vs infantry or specialized tool when the enemy pulls ONLY infantry.
    HEAT is the best tank cannon because it is the jack of all trades unless you are insane good with AP vs Infantry.
  6. Kerempooh

Yeah, I've started playing this game in order to enjoy combined warfare - all three arms.

I've given up on air at the very start because of the harebrained control scheme I simply can't get the hang of. No, I don't want to spend 3 months "learning" to adapt to something which is simply bad design.

I used to enjoy tanking, especially close combat melee in my rival lightning. Yeah, I used to be an "infantry farmer" but I never fired a single shot at a spawn room. My idea of "infantry farming" was to charge into the thickest clump of infantry, laying waste all around, breaking enemies front lines and hopefully bugging out before they got their AV turrets/launchers/C4 together... or I run into a MBT/AP lightning/AV mines... If that makes me an "infantry farmer" then so is an AI certed MAX.

I don't tank anymore. It's become ridiculous. Not only are tank weapons so ineffective against infantry that it is laughable, but the tanks have become less effective at ANYTHING than their infantry counterparts. AI? When confronted with CQC infantryman I jump out of the lightning, shoot him with my SMG and jump back in o_O! AV My C4/AT mines oneshot enemy tanks while my AP rounds are like ticks on an elephant. o_O AA? Dual burster max with extended mags is so superior to skyguard it is not even funny. o_O

And don't get me started on AMP station changes, pre-designed sundi niches and the whole "walled off" design that's been pushed more and more and which further removes any actual reason for tanks to exist as anything more than joyride vehicles / cert pinatas for infantry and air before the "real game" begins in bases proper and that game is, as we all know, infantryside (with just a bit of airside thrown in).

It really is a terrible state of affairs. If there were no positive improvements in other areas of the game in the past 9 months I'd be long gone.

I don't know who is responsible for this but he obviously has no idea what to do with tanks and the whole combined arms concept.
    • Up x 3
  7. Kerempooh

And the whole idea that "tanks primary role is to hunt other tanks" is so ridiculous it beggars belief.

Since tanks cannot take over territory, cannot cap bases and basically cannot do ANYTHING to directly further the game's goal and that is territory control, their ONLY primary role should be to, yes you guessed it, to FARM INFANTRY. That is what real tanks are built for - breaking infantry defensive lines. Tanks are primarily offensive weapons and should be treated as such by the game.

Anti-armor role of tanks is actually a secondary one.

If you remove this primary role from tanks, that of actually interacting with infantry and so influencing the flow of battle, you make tanks completely irrelevant and actually divorced from the game itself. As things stand now, if you are sitting in a tank, you are not contributing to your faction and that is NOT how things should be.

At the moment Planetside 2 = Infantryside. Air and especially Armor are simply tacked on cosmetic "joyrides" which do not have any meaningful import on the game itself. They used to have some very basic, very tenuous function with the whole "hunt the sundi" minigame, but now with the introduction of handy sundi niches even this is largely gone.
    • Up x 2
  8. Furluge

And then you notice the VS in the signature and remember that your tanks can go over whatever they please and don't get funneled into C4 death traps and can PPA any infantry that are foolish enough to try. ;) I mean it's why I maxed out my magrider certs. ;p
    • Up x 2
  9. Alarox

Using a certain vehicle can be a playstyle if the user wants it to be. The means to make it happen are in the game. People do this with every kind of vehicle. You, yourself, specifically define every vehicle as nothing more than an asset. There are people who live in ESFs, Liberators, Galaxies, MBTs, Harassers, Sunderers, and even Flashes. I doesn't matter if they were designed to be solely powerups for people to randomly pull and die 2m later, people are able to and choose to use them as playstyles.

Yes it does if you're good enough to make it happen. The difficultly behind that is part of what makes it so rewarding.
    • Up x 3
  10. Kunavi

Tankers =/= Infantry Farmers.
    - +10 just for this.

Hunting Armor is FUN, its really FUN, its exciting, tactical and enjoyable.
    - Until Mag-Rider and PPA.

HE rounds should have never been in.
    - Lots of things should have been left out but... Yeah.

C4 : Dealing with it is complete and utter frustration.
    - This alone probably cost you about 20 more Likes you should have gotten... From people who abuse it. Like me, lately. I'll slap one on EVERYTHING I can. Even as HA or Medic.

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE INFANTRY USER MAKES TANKERS FREAK OUT BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW IF THE INFANTRY GUY HAS C4 ON THEM.
    - Assume they always do, so farm them. Which only promotes the Infantry Farming. Well done SOE ;)

Tanks have to do many different things to be safe from C4? No, increase your situational awareness, SCRUBLORD. Just kidding, but expect to hear this a lot now that you said that.

Out of range render range perfectly accurate Engineer AV turrets & Lock on RL's.
    - I just wonder what the next step will be in forcing MBTs to get closer to their targets. That's what you should be fearing. Because they sure as Hell aren't going to balance AV turrets ETC ETC. I don't want them to, I'm back to abusing them!

They need to nerf C4, and Decrease the range of the AV turret to render distance, and Decrease the range of Lock on to render distance.
    - No, it's too tedious to hunt for Tanks. Tanks should be forced to get closer to clusters of C4 Fairies and RLs... According to SOE at least.

Also they need to combine all the Tank armors into 1 defensive slot Armor option.
    - I like that, but won't EVERYONE be picking up this option then?

The NC and TR ES AI MBT turrets need to be buffed so they are as effective sustained fire AI weapons as the PPA is. Because right now the NC and TR ES AI weapons just suck, and that's why they are not fielded as much.
    - Amen. Now tell them about the Vulcan too. Because TR got it double bad.

I'm giving Tanking a break, its just not fun.
    - L2P!(Like running C4 suicides, AT Mines suicides, pulling only MAX, RL Primary, play Shot-Gun Hero, only ESF with LOLPods/Hornets and bailing, ETC ETC)
    • Up x 1
  11. Keldrath

So, you're one of the Tonkers?

It all makes sense now.
  12. FieldMarshall

Tanker? I for one like to main the Frag Grenade.
  13. Captain Kid

I do not drive vehicles it is frustrating.

That being said.

1) Just remove C4. It's very hard to hit a Light Assault flying towards you. Either as gunner as on foot.
    And tank mines are ******** as well. Seems players use them as C4 on stationary vehicles which is just silly.

2) As infantry player I actually want to extend the range of lock on weaponry since
    a I can see the tank I should be able to do something about it.
    b The tank can still shell me and the base I'm in.

I don't mind decreasing the lock on range to render distance that only seems fair.
    BUT then I want the same for tank versus infantry. Shells should not go further then 300 meters as well.
  14. DrPapaPenguin

I can only agree with AV turrets point on this one. If you get C4ed it means you have gotten too close to infantry cover, which as a vehicle driver you are supposed to stay away from. And even an LA needs some sort of higher ground to launch his C4 run from, even if he has the standard jetpacks. No, ESPECIALLY if he has standard jetpacks.
  15. Copasetic

The problem is vehicle and infantry render distance don't match up. In a big fight infantry might render to 200m while vehicles render to 400m. That means infantry can see the tanks but the tanks can't see the infantry, and you can't damage what you can't see. So in this case is it fair that the infantry can still damage the tank? I don't think so.

Again, I don't know why SOE doesn't just change the render distance to be the same for everyone since that would solve all these range related problems, but I guess they have their reasons.
  16. Captain Kid

Infantry versus infantry render range is sometimes 50 meters if it's busy enough in a base.
    I've tested this on friendlies running from one corner to the other and had 20 friendlies appear and disappear.

I don't think it's a good idea to start designing weapons because of this dynamic render range,
  17. Bankrotas

Well only 22% of my playtime is in any kind of vehicle, do I count as infantry player?
    Neverminding that, I can say, reason people tend to C4 tanks is because engie repair tool and NAR gives quite the advantage for a vehicle, which means, if you even manage to get it to burning and vehicle manages to get away, there is a big chance it will be back at full strength in less than 2 minutes and cause more pain, than you would like.

I can't formulate other arguments at the moment in a way, that I would like them. However, I'll say, I'd be fine with nerfing C4, or redesigning it in a way, if there were more viable ways to battle vehichles, currently, it's only good way to get rid of a damn vehicle without pulling one and with resource system revamp, infantry orientated players might not be able to pull any anyways...
  18. Phyr

If vehicle damage was permanent, then we could nerf AV.
  19. Iridar51

And it is an error. It's the game's fault that it's possible, but this is an error nonetheless.
    1. Then the user doesn't get the right to complain that he doesn't succeed.
    2. Solo players just don't know what they're missing out on. I know the feeling, a month ago I would've defended my solo playstyle as well. But now that I've experienced both organized and solo playstyles, I know which one is better, healthier even. It's not worth it. There is simply no reason to play PS2 solo, and the abundance of solo players is what creates this infinite problems "C4 OP", "MAX OP", "Vehicles OP", "Infantry AV OP", etc.

PS2 does a very bad job of funneling players into organized outfits, when in reality this would solve 95% of problems.
  20. andy_m

Game Optimisation.

If we could all afford to have stonking desktop workstations and ultrafast broadband, and SOE have reliable and fast servers then, yeah, we could even out the render distances.

It makes sense for larger objects to render before smaller objects. At least it does in my opinion. So there is the logic for deciding on render distance compromises.