I'm close to quiting Tanking.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Scr1nRusher

Tanking is miserable.

before I go into why tanking sucks let me point out something.

Tankers =/= Infantry Farmers.

Hunting Armor is FUN, its really FUN, its exciting,tactical and enjoyable.

HE rounds should have never been in the game(but thats another topic for a post)

now thats covered.

Let me calm down enough to explain why tanking sucks, before I break my monitor.

1) C4

dealing with it is complete and utter frustration.

It does INSANE amounts of damage, 1 Brick can basically 1 shot a lighting. which has 3000 HP. (it happens 1 brick and your dead).

Nearly every single class can use it(its not class restricted), and thanks to the regen implant theres no reason to NOT use it.

Medics can use C4(but for some reason not AI mines).

HA's can use it(But they have rockets, so why do they need C4?)

Engineers can use it(They have TANK MINES and the AV turret)

LA's Can use it.

Tanks(and vehicles for that matter) have deadzones where they can't shoot or fight back. LA's can always get to them.

See the point I'm trying to make?

NEARLY EVERY SINGLE INFANTRY USER MAKES TANKERS FREAK OUT BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW IF THE INFANTRY GUY HAS C4 ON THEM.

A Tank has to do so many different things in order to NOT die to C4 its unreal.

while the C4 user doesn't have to do much if anything at all.

C4 makes tanking miserable.

Risk vs reward you say?????????

Tanking IS A RISK.

Your vehicles and Tanks are THERE REWARDS.

C4 is so good at killing everything. Infantry, Vehicles, and occasionally aircraft.

Its the most stressful part about tanking.

2) Out of range render range perfectly accurate Engineer AV turrets & Lock on RL's.

Render distance is 300 meters.

That should be the max Range for AV Turrets & lock on RL.

if its out of render distance

And you wonder why tanks Tend to sit back all the time in battles??????

3) EOD hud is ineffective while in a vehicle.

By the time you see the mines..... your blown up.

This is painful to deal with.

Look guys...... I love Tanking, Its fun.

I don't like farming infantry, and I despise the Tankers that do. I've been certing out my vehicles lately( and fully certed out my lighting and developed a whole playstyle with it)

If you have never driven a Tank, go try it out and fight armor. Bring a buddy to secondary gun for you.

Either the Terrain kills you, or C4 etc does.

Those PTS Tank and rocket changes are completely unneeded, those will solve nothing and will break the game.

They need to nerf C4, and Decrease the range of the AV turret to render distance, and Decrease the range of Lock on's to render distance.

Also they need to combine all the Tank armors into 1 defensive slot Armor option.

Bulldogs and fury's should also be able to be used on MBT's as secondary weapons.

The NC and TR ES AI secondaries need to be buffed so they are as effective sustained fire AI weapons as the PPA is. Because right now the NC and TR ES AI weapons just suck, and thats why they are not fielded as much.

Doesn't help that higby NEVER uses vehicles. He didn't even know what fire suppression was on the recent Command Center.

I'm giving Tanking a break, its just not fun.

I'll just stick to my Sunderer and flash. Atleast I know i can help battles with them and be in battles.
    • Up x 6
  2. Scudmungus

Hunting Tanks is fun.

And taking opportunity shots at Infantry while en route seems to be obligatory.
  3. Alexanor

I am of a mindset that if you're getting hit by C4, 99 out of 100 times, you're doing it wrong. I tank quite often and it's pretty rare that I die from C4. When I do, it's because I'm zoned out and just blasting a spawn door waiting for a base to cap and... yep, I deserved it.
    • Up x 6
  4. Scr1nRusher

well look at what your doing.

Your not killing Armor, your Farming infantry.

Your not a real tanker.

Of course you never get killed by C4 much, your sitting 3-4 hexes away shelling a spawn room.
    • Up x 6
  5. RHINO_Mk.II

C4 will not one-shot a full HP Lightning.
    • Up x 13
  6. SeanFree

Almost one shotting=/=one shotting a lightning. Please don't spread false BS if you're going to whine about something. I DO however think 1 C4 should only take about 55% of an MBT's health, it currently takes 75-80% if I remember correctly.
    • Up x 2
  7. Scr1nRusher

I've had it happen.

Also it can 1 shot you even if you take a small amount of damage beforehand.

its just frustrating that it does so much damage.
    • Up x 1
  8. Scr1nRusher

A MBT has 5000 HP

So if C4 takes off 75-80% Off a MBT, it comes very close to instantly killing a lightning which has 3000 HP.

and yes theres been times where 1 C4 can kill a lighting.

I've seen plenty of videos and a few gifs of it happening.

Either the lightning tanks were lighty damaged before hand or they were at Full HP.

its really strange.

Also don't test it out in the VR, the VR doesn't have splash.
  9. Rift23

Tanks in PS2 remind me of Siege Tanks in StarCraft: At a distance and en masse they rain unholy hell down and insta-gib anything in range--but if anything gets close, you're proper ******.

If I Sundy with cobalt/bulldog on it getting bumrushed during a fallback I usually go ahead and jump in. I know I'll die, but infantry is so unafraid of tanks when zerging that I can get a nice killstreak going before one of the C4 lemmings finally thinks to flank.
    • Up x 2
  10. Iridar51

Tank is not a class. You do not "play tanks". Tank is a tool, an asset. In this regard it's little different from C4. Being a dedicated tanker is as shortsighted as being a dedicated frag grenade user.

When you pull a tank, you do not transform into a tank. You're still the infantry player, and tank is like a detachable MAX suit. On its own, it holds no value whatsoever. Not any more than, say, five frag grenades. So it's perfectly reasonable to lose one asset to another. Whether you go down with that asset or not is up to you.

There is a big underlying problem.
    Due to huge cert and time investments everything in PS2 requires, we've grown to artifically limit ourselves to one of the few roles: tanker, infantryman, pilot. But that's not how PS2 should be played.
    First, and foremost, you're a soldier on the battlefield. Your goal is to accomplish the objective (BTW, SOE, we're still waiting on you to define what the objective is), and you use whatever tools are appropriate at the time. Sometimes a tank is required to clear enemy armor zerg, sometimes ESF response is needed to sweep the air, other times you have to go on your own pair of legs to cap that point.

People put too high emphisis on their own performance. It all stems from soloing. Nothing but frustration awaits those who want to "roll around killing stuff" in PlanetSide. The game simply doesn't provide an enjoyable experience for this type of play.
    • Up x 13
  11. Kanil

C4 does not one hit kill a full health Lightning. C4 does not even set it on fire. The only way you will ever kill a Lightning with a single brick of C4 is if it is already damaged. I know this from experience using C4, and I just tested it, as well.

I'm a terrible tanker, there's a lot of crap in this game that kills me whenever I pull a tank, so I don't do it. But even I have little difficulty negating C4, it's really not that hard.
  12. Brahma2

Speak for yourself. I ain't havin' many issues.
    • Up x 1
  13. Scr1nRusher

Tanks have roles on the battlefield do they not?

what.

Thats a good point actually.

your not wrong about that.

Also the next phases of the mission system should improve those things.

I just want to Kill the enemy vehicles, and help my team by taking out the armor and the sunderers.

Thats why I use AP, and flank as much as i can.

For my MBT' i'm working on a loadout that is supposed to be AP for the main gun and a kobalt(or Basilisk) for secondary, so i can help deal with the armor and help with the infantry. I have rival so i can turn faster and make usage of my side armor so with the shield i can become a mobile emplacement.
    • Up x 1
  14. SeanFree

At one time 1 C4 could take out a lightning. They ninja nerfed it and it takes two on a full health lightning.

I know because one C4 means I pop fire suppression and get out of there.
  15. Phyr

"Real tanker" makes me laugh every time I hear it.
    • Up x 1
  16. Scr1nRusher

unless your trying to turn which takes seemly forever lol.
  17. Scr1nRusher

The fact that the HE Tank round culture has caused so many problems for PS2 over the years is amazing.

people come back, die to HE tank rounds, and leave again before seeing anything new or whats been changes because they died to something that caused them to leave in the first place.
    • Up x 2
  18. DHT#

Pretty much. Instant death in a large radius that's still excellent AV? There's literally no down side.
    • Up x 2
  19. Alexanor

I said WHEN I do die from C4, it's because I'm doing that. Not when I'm out hunting other tanks. If I die by C4 then, I completely deserved it. How about you tone it down a bit? If you want to fling insults, I can go to town on your English.
    • Up x 3
  20. Scr1nRusher

ah ok. My tone was abit off, because I'm frustrated and mad, thats all. -_-. But I hope I atleast brought up SOME actually good points.

Also what do you mean you'll "Go to town on my English"? lol