Shotguns are Planetside's "Noob Tube"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dBus, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DrPapaPenguin

I'll just leave this here.
    • Up x 3
  2. SharpeShooter

I don't get killed very often with shotguns but when I do I feel cheated, the reason being when you're in CQC and the person has any sort of reasonable aim there is nothing you do about it, or when you go around a corner and someone with a pump gets a lucky shot on you it drives me crazy!

I don't think they are OP per-say but I do think they are cheap, and a weapon made for people that cant aim. The reason why people don't like them is the same reason people don't like rocket primaries. That's because its a one shot kill (or spammy kill) that needs very little skill to win in a 1v1. This is coming from someone who used to use the skill-hawk nearly exclusively, I cant stand using them now I just feel cheap and dirty.
    • Up x 1
  3. dasichri

Shotguns main strength is close range, if your armed with a rifle and hes got a shotgun and your within 10 meters, if you both see each other and react to each other at the same time and are equally skilled, the dude with the shotgun is going to win all the time.

same situation, 15-20 meters or greater, guy with the rifle is more and more likely to win.

Deal with it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Alzir

Shotguns just feel cheap but tbh, with the exception of the jackhammer, I find they're more difficult to use than it appears. It wouldn't take too long to learn mind you, but I can't really be bothered as I generally prefer more versatility in my loadout. They feel cheap though because of the game's client side hit detection. When the shotgun wielding player rounds a corner he probably has 0.1-0.2 seconds more than you do to fire off the first shot, which is more or less what your reaction time is, and the high damage means you start the engagement at half health or just dead a lot of the time. It's just something we have to live with though.
    • Up x 1
  5. uhlan

Here's the deal guys...

Even in our real world, shotguns have been the go-to weapon for CC since they were invented.

From the trench guns of WW1 to the modern auto shotguns.

If you go into a building and the enemy have SG's and you don't you better be good with that weapon or you'll get owned.

Now, if that shotgun guy goes outside and faces down an LMG (or anything for that matter) shooting at him from beyond 20 meters he's gonna die.

Everything in this game has a purpose.

If you make the wrong choice, it's on you.
  6. Lex Luger

Not surprised shotgun users are defending the blatently OP and broken shotguns.

I just recently uninstalled the game for no reasons other than shotguns are completely broken. Why bother using a rifle or SMG where you have to aim when you can just one shot everyone.

I've played lots of online shooters. I bought battlefield 1942 the first day it was released and Ive never seen a more broken shotgun damage model or close quarters weapons in any major commercial online shooter ever made.

Why would people even be using shotguns in the future? They have horrible penetration compared to rifles. Shouldnt body armor stop the buckshot? Even nowadays low end level 1 body armor does well againsts shotguns and level 3 body armor is bascially immune to shotguns. It doesnt make sense that people are using them in warzones in the future.
    • Up x 1
  7. Scr1nRusher

you...created your forum account(that you will probably never use again) just for this post? 0_0

Also your arguments....are just.... wow.

I'm guessing you never played the Beta where shotguns were actually OP.

the shotguns in the game now are niche interms of range and usages and quite balanced.
    • Up x 1
  8. Radian12

carbines are 300% better than shotguns. I am bad shot and i loose almost 100% with shotgun, carbines are for superier in every case. I hate Shotguns.
    • Up x 2
  9. Codex561

Actually shotguns IRL are more mid-range. It fires multiple pellets making it easier to hit at range.
  10. Lex Luger

Why does my forum post count matter? What does having lots of posts on forum prove?

Sorry i couldnt care less what some forum lurker keyboard warrior thinks of my postcount, playtime, K/D, Score per minute, or any other metrics you may want to use to somehow discredit my opinion on game weapon balance being tarded.

Well, i mean if you say so, then it must be true. What's your argument that they are balanced? Oh wait, you dont have one.

In case you havent noticed, the games playerbase is dying. Planetside 2 is not a popular game by any stretch, especially when you factor in the amount of money and work Sony has spent on it.

Completely broken skill less no aim one shot kill weapons certainly arent helping Sony retain those players long term are they?

Stickybomb launcher was nerfed in tf2 beta. Still doesnt mean it hasnt been overpowered last 7 years. Just cause shotguns were even more ******edly broken in beta doesnt make then balanced or fair.
    • Up x 1
  11. FishMcCool

12. MrLayZboy

One thing I like doing with shotguns is baiting people.
    Say I turn a corner and you see me and your about 20+ meters out, I will try to run around the corner and see if you chase me, at which point I guess when you're close to the corner and jump you with the shotgun.
  13. Scr1nRusher

Are you a plant?
  14. Tekuila

Agree with this post, other guns just need their damage bumped up to match.
  15. Shanther

ITT shotgun users defending shotguns.
    • Up x 1
  16. Zotamedu

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428013610486484209/weapons

I don't have a problem with shotguns and I do not have a single kill with one.

Realism has nothing to do with games. It is completely irrelevant unless you are looking at a simulator like Arma but this is not a simulator. When you do a game, balance and entertainment is all that matters. Nothing is realistic in this game. Vanu as a faction would not exist if you want realism and you complain about shotguns?
  17. Scr1nRusher

thats a gross generalization.
  18. NyaR

A player using a rocket as a primary weapon is significantly more useless than a regular player. If you find yourself being more useful with a rocket primary than with regular weapons it does not indicate rocket primary is OP, it indicates that you are no good with regular weapons and must resort to a 33% gamble to win engagements.
    • Up x 1
  19. Keldrath

Never said anthing about OP. RPG's have always been the noob tube. That's where the term came from. People dislike it because it's a cheap and easy kill that doesn't require much skill to execute. just a point and one shot.
  20. Scr1nRusher

nope, historically its always been the underbarrel grenade lauchers, this term was coined from MW2.

you just described tank HE rounds.
    • Up x 1