Redeploying is dumb

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darkwulf, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Darkwulf

The whole redeploying thing in this game is stupid. It is however necessary to be effective in the war effort. When I am defending a base I should not be able to click a button and be able to redeploy anywhere around me. This kills the whole purpose of galaxies or sunderers.

If I need to cross the map to defend I should have to pull a vehicle to get there or go back to the warp gate and pull a galaxy. The entire time we play its put up a defense or attack, then EVERYONE REDEPLOY TO XXXX. It feels like it takes a lot of the battle immersion out of the game.

I promote having more vehicle convoys traveling from point to point. Not teleporting around.
    • Up x 12
  2. Goden

Cool. Make defending even more impossible. Great idea.

Because when our bases are under attack and the people there put up an urgent need for reinforcements- the thing they need the most is for people to trundle along on the roads and arrive 5 minutes later after the base has been lost. No thanks.

And with the upcoming resource revamp players will be short on resources more than ever. Like hell they're going to spend what little they have on a throw-away vehicle to take to another base when they don't even know what is there.

Stop alienating players and telling them how they should play. This game is dieing fast enough as it is.
    • Up x 5
  3. MorganM

They walk a pretty fine line of making the game convinent yet not allowing zergs to instantly appear anywhere on the map. If I had to drive or fly everywhere in this game I probably wouldn't play it. It takes too long and it costs too much resources. Then you have to factor in cool down timers which translates into more time wasted because you either now run or wait for the timer. You are basically asking everyone to spend at least 100 resources to get anywhere and spend significantly more time to get around. No thanks.

Current redeploy mechanics certainly do NOT kill the purpose of vehicles. Gals and sunderers are VERY effective. Sundereres are absolutely required for any sustained offense. Either you know this and are obscure that fact or are too new to the game to undertand it.
    • Up x 2
  4. HadesR

Should also severely limit the number of bases a Sundy can be spawned from .. Being able to pull them from almost everywhere ( if not everywhere I can't remember off hand ) also removes a lot of the need for convoys for protection etc ..

Who need's them when a Infi can just hack and spawn one at the base you are attacking allowing for redeploying hopscotch ?
    • Up x 3
  5. Axehilt

If you're caught out of position, defending should be impossible. Then you'll just successfully defend at the next base and shove them back again. What's wrong with that?

When you play chess you don't whine that your king is out of position and he should be able to teleport magically to a better position: you learn not to get caught out that way.
    • Up x 7
  6. Darkwulf

This is a war game. Logistics are part of it. COD- Battlefiend - Titanfall are for instant action. Whats the point of having a large map to battle across if convoys are not part of it and you can instant teleport wherever you want? Don't you think that takes away from the massive feel of the continent and the war?

I understand you want instant gratification because that's the way most people are these days. But there are a lot of games that offer that and I do play those games too. This game is different and should be looked at like a war, not a battle.
    • Up x 7
  7. andy_m

So are we saying do away with spawn rooms and spawn tubes? While we're at it, get rid of the teleporters too.
  8. Goden

If a system like this is implemented then it will completely destroy the purpose of reinforcement beacons and using /orders to request reinforcements. People are just not even going to bother for the reasons I already stated.
  9. Goden

If you want super-serious logistics and MLG-tier tactical realism then please go play ARMA. PS2 is still, at it's core, a free2play game. Such a game survives off of the casual playerbase and do you really think they will tolerate changes like this? (answer: no)
  10. Darkwulf

I think it will attract the playerbase it was meant for. PS1 players already jumped ship because its too much of a battefieldside game as it is. So you can cater to one side or the other. I prefer the PS1 players myself.
    • Up x 6
  11. Goden

If SOE intended to to make PS1 again they would have done it 3 years ago. This is not PS1 and it never will be. Accept that fact.

Secondly, this is a free2play game. This game NEEDS players AT ALL TIMES. They are the oil that keep the gears turning. Most of these players will be more casual-minded. That's just how it is. You scare away these people and the gears will grind to a halt and seize up. Your "epic-scale combat" will cease to exist.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nikushimi

Technically it does not, Generally its the "hardcore" demographic that sinks money into it. The "casuals" are really nothing more than feeders (IE providing the "Hardcore" player base something to farm).
    • Up x 4
  13. Goden

That's what I'm talking about. They are the fodder which fill the gaps in the game. They are the grunts of the playerbase.

PS2 is very sensitive to player loss. Once pops start to turn sour then it usually snowballs really badly. It ultimately ends in the need for server merges which we've already had several of and some severs already need it again.

But by all means - scare these people away. Enjoy hearing the sounds of crickets instead of intense battles.,
  14. doombro

As usual, PS1 had some great ideas.

1. Completely renovate instant action. Get rid of the drop pod and just make the user spawn in the facility. Also make it more reliable. It shouldn't throw people into fights that are already over. It should prioritize squad location as well. It should spawn players at either a defensive battle, or the nearest friendly facility to an offensive one.
    2. Only allow players to respawn at their current facility, their warpgate, and the nearest AMS.
    3. Add a feature that allows players to set a specific facility and AMS at a time as constant spawn options regardless of location
    4. Fix vehicle physics (seriously, it would take me all day to list everything that's wrong in this area) and add a cheap, fast one-man scout aircraft for throw-away transportation. Like a fuel pod ESF, except cheaper. Make unarmed flashes cheaper, or add a cheaper unarmed variant of the flash.

A few side suggestions:

-Bring back warpgate logins.
    -Add passive resources in addition to current passive certs. People should have enough to pull a personal taxi on login for obvious reasons.
    • Up x 3
  15. GriffinTalon

No idea if this a troll attempt or an actual idea ah well bored,

Do you really think that the majority of people who play this game want to do some sort of convoy duty? The only thing SOE could put in that resembles anything of logistics would be the ANT and probably the lodester or add a vehical gal transport variant to get it around the map.

'back to the warp gate and pull a galaxy' yeah great I've been in groups where this happens, attack something abandon our tanks and back to warpgate, no thanks that has wasted my time and resources and now wasted more time trying to do another drop.

If you want true immersion then play ARMA that is the only game that I know of that will allow you to do what you want, if what you want was added then the general player base will stop playing, they want fun, including me not wasting time being bored twiddling thumbs.

Now the concept of whats fun in this game is another debate which I'm not going to get into, I'm bored but not that bored, at the moment anyway.

bored rant aaawwwaay!! :eek:
  16. Revanmug

Ah youngling. Back in my days, when we didn't have that fancy redeploy button, we all had to type /suicide then instant action, all at the same time, to create the famously known Steel Rain.

Removing redeploy wouldn't change a thing. It's not the source of that problem.
    • Up x 2
  17. Wyll

Nanites.

Nuff said.
  18. SynaptixBrainstorm

i like this as a lone wolf
    • Up x 2
  19. doombro

Not entirely true.

PS1 had instant action and it was a great thing for the game. Difference was, it was reliable and not overpowered. It was guaranteed to spawn you either into or near an ongoing battle. You could also go anywhere you wanted at any time thanks to the HART system.

http://wiki.planetsidesyndicate.com/index.php?title=HART

Basically you had an automated orbital dropship that could send you directly to, literally, any specific location you wanted, including deep enemy territory, as long as the continent wasn't locked.

And it managed to have all these "casual-friendly" mechanics without getting horrible redeployside issues. I guess part of it is the way redeploying works. Instead of waiting 10 seconds after you press a button, you just interact with a spawn tube or the rear of an AMS and you go straight to the deployment screen.
    • Up x 1
  20. DQCraze

I think you played World of Walking one to many days.
    • Up x 1