Liberator should not be immune to small arms fire

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by alabasterJones, Jul 10, 2014.

1. alabasterJones

Flying a liberator anywhere near enemy infantry, regardless of faction, there is something you can always count on:

Infantry (new players) giving your liberator a spray of bullets, they get no hit markers, they panic and run/hide. It isn't immediately apparent to your new players that they can:

1. change class while still alive
    2. do damage to liberators through other means ("I shot at the bomber but couldn't damage it, it must be immune to infantry damage/damage from below/bullets")
    3. hurt liberators at all

Now this is where things get strange... BECAUSE your average infantry players think they can't damage liberators, they don't fight back and get farmed, liberators get nerfed over and over and over, in an effort to make liberators less dangerous to infantry. However, as long as you have anti-infantry capabilities on the liberator, it doesn't matter how many nerfs it takes, liberators will still farm infantry.

In other words, SOE is addressing the symptoms (liberators farming infantry) but not the cause (your standard new/newb infantry can't fight back). If small arms fire could damage liberators, infantry wouldn't feel helpless, and new players would learn straight away that liberators are not invincible gods of death and this would stem the tide of frustrated new infantry players quitting the game out of frustration.

Regards,
    honest liberator pilot
    • Up x 4
  2. SpectorSixOne

i think its fine; i mean why even have lock-on's if my MCG can kill a Lib?
  3. Isobutane

I agree with this. As a 95% infantry player I personally think they should have left the lib alone (pre nerf) and simply made them susceptible to small arms fire.
  4. eggy

A better solution would be to alter the infantry based g2a launchers.
    if it's an air target, have distance to target affect lock on time, with the maximum being the same as current.
    It's pretty easy to acquire a lockon launcher.
    This would help with your problem and also many others .
    the closer you are, the quicker you acquire and can fire. Would reduce air camping spawns/bases/spawns.
    Just prevent air target
    rockets going through shields.
  5. JP_Russell

Lock-on launchers already do this.
  6. Goden

Increase the velocity and lower the drop of the stock default dumbfire launchers. That way every player (even newbies) have something they can fire at hoverspamming liberators.
  7. Kevin49704

Making libs harmed by small arms isn't even addressing the concern you bring up. You say most new players don't think they can hurt libs so just get farmed. While I agree it may not be apparent to completely new players the best way to bring down libs I think this is part of learning the game, every game has a learning curve. Also using this logic and points you bring up can be applied to any vehicle and I can't imagine you would endorse every vehicle being damaged by small arms. Now I'm not saying that new players being unsure of how to handle a lib or any vehicle isn't a problem just that your looking at it the wrong way. If new players aren't informed of the correct way to do something then SOE needs to work better to teach them rather than changing the game to fit them. This all comes down to the very steep learning curve and the sink or swim mentality the game uses. If they would just even put in new player tool tips that came up when they died to help give them some info about what killed them and what they can use to counter it.

TLDR
    The game needs to teach new players better ways to handle situations rather than change it to suit them.
  8. Brahma2

My lib was killed by an anti-personnel engineer turret once. Real talk.
  9. PKfire

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Vikarius

A. I'd be fine with some small arms weapons damaging Libs but only if B happens

B. Rework, and redesign all lockons in the game so there isn't a single lockon in the game period. They damage the health of the game.
  11. Kunavi

What needs to happen is for Ground AA to become more than deterrence to the point where we can farm Air as much as they farm us. Right now it's not happening, because Air is too mobile and highly maneuverable(Should I add, more so when compared to their counters?). ESFs are border line OKish though still very annoying due to other factors and not their fragility. The other Air units are just too frustrating to fight against.

Beef up G AA, introduce a REAL INTERCEPTOR and we're all good, including ESF Sky Knights not having to abandon their best sport, Ground Farming 24KD per run. Because then it would be because of Ground being stupid about it, just like now an ESF has to be STUPID to get downed by Ground(Liberators more so). I also feel Libs should not be so maneuverable no matter what.

Now it could be argued that the Valkyrie may be a solution when it comes to other units who can pose a serious threat to current ones... Great, let's have Valkyries too. But we NEED a dedicated Jet Interceptor.

Along with adjustments such as those I suggest to GAA, such a unit would stress pilots enough to make it fair for the countless Ground Farms they've been enjoying. Most top KD players are PPA/Scythe/Orion/C4/MAX weapons Muppets.

Wake up FFS.

EDIT : Yes I'm aware, you'll say I QQ about VS. So let me rephrase : "Most top KD players are PPA/Scythe/Orion/C4/MAX weapons and their equivalents' Muppets, only the rest of us don't have PPA or Orion, nothing close to it" :p There, fixed it.
  12. Vikarius

I agree with some parts and disagree with others.

An ESF is so fragile that it is very easy for AA to decimate one in a single pass. It also comes down to how bad lockons are for the game. If an ESF takes flares it is probably going to get super gibbed by an A2A nosegun enemy ESF, in less then a full pass. Where as taking Fire supression, gives them a chance to at least skillfully escape or fight back. If they have fire suppression they won't even be able to get off a couple rounds on a ground target in any mid - large sized fight before 20 lockon G2A rockets are headed their way.

A lib on the other hand is WAY, I mean WAY too manueverable. The thing should be made to hover and be stable, this whole super roll libs should actually cause the Lib to semi loose control. If the Lib is going to be as maneuverable as it is now then it needs to have around the same armor pool as an ESF. It is lazy game design to think that because something is larger it needs to have more health. The size of the lib can easily be connected to the fact it needs larger housing to hold the heavy weapons it can equip, in addition to the size of the engines needed to maintain flight with the weight of the housing+weapons+passengers, so even if it had such a small armor pool it would be balanced.

I have always been in the mindset that ESFs should be purely designed for A2A, and Libs for A2G. Libs should be food for ESFs, and Gals should be the super slow punching bag transports of the sky.
    Making the Lib less manueverable, removing lockons from the game, raising the flight ceiling, and making all A2G ESF weapons a detterent (high splash radius, low damage) would do WONDERS for balance
  13. Klypto

Just wow.
    • Up x 1