to Lash or not to Lash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plunutsud pls, Jul 9, 2014.

1. lNeBl

A weapon's effectiveness in killing isn't the same thing as K/D ratios at all. The problem with the lasher is it is not effective enough of a weapon to warrant its use. Sure you can derp around with it for "lolz" but that's about it.
    • Up x 2
  2. maudibe

It is specialized in its use. I use it alot as HA and like it. where it shines as others have said it blasting a door opening. It works almost better than a mana turret as it can sustain a lot of endless firing with an extended mag.
    It works quite well at long engagments as the orbs dont drop and you can pound someone in the rocks at long distance. Its hard to see the enemy once the light show begins however but it doesn't really matter. Its great to shoot at maxs with at long range i've had them run for cover. Where it sucks: at close range you'll always do better with anything else and i escpecially like my polaris surprisingly as its 100 round mag can finish off guys while they have to reload yet it has very little recoil and can get long range hits pretty well and it hip fires as well as the Orion, which i hardly ever use mostly because of the 50 round mag and recoil.
    Another thing i get alot of with the lasher is points. I dont get the kill but the assissts just keep rolling in after im dead as it does damage to lots of guys when focused on a group especially at mid to long range.
    Its special in use but it does some things better than anything else.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vixxing

This! I supress the hell out of enemies with my BASR hold breath 3 and Straight pull... i often drop 2-3 targets in one breath from 150m... one body shot taking 50% health makes them take cover, 2 ppl dropping makes one medic go to work who also drops a second later... means they head for cover and allies start to push.... Also all 50% body shots i do, gives alot more assists than Lasher and makes killing even 3-4 enemies very possible for a single friendly heavy doing his job pushing...
  4. Vixxing

For better inf supression: AI mana turret... better damage, cover, and you can be usefull providing ammunition and repairing Maxxes... all 3 empires got this.... Lasher is useless...
    • Up x 1
  5. lawn gnome

EXCEPT! the turret has to be placed which takes time (lasher provides instant gratification), the shots aren't nearly as visible so enemies are much less likely to be suppressed (lasher shots are nice and big and bright and scary, so better by a long shot), and you are very limited in where you can place it (i can fire my lasher anywhere from anywhere).
    dude that isn't suppression. suppressing targets means you make them cower behind cover. you know what helps people push even better? having none of their enemies firing at them while they advance because all of the enemies are hiding.
    you are going to have to explain the difference, because as far as i can tell they are both very closely related. either way you are completely ignoring a whole range of tactics arbitrarily.
    hmm... suppress 10 to 20 guys or kill 4 to 5. if i am with a team then i know which one i prefer. yes the lasher can be a hindrance to your team just like any other weapon, so yes if you are a MORON then the lasher can do more harm than good and so can shotguns and SMGs and rocket launchers and grenades and any other weapon in the game in the wrong hands.

SPOTTING! i love spotting targets, i spam 'Q' all the time, BUT it only helps if the people on your team are looking in that direction. i won't try to defend the skills of the horde of red shirts around me, but the lasher gives me almost direct control over their rage AND what if there is more than one target up in the rocks? what if i don't like the idea of sitting and playing a game of whack a mole with my enemies? what if i prefer having something similar to an orbital strike as a primary weapon?

firing for a minute straight is very situational, but what if i don't want to worry about trying to fire first when enemies dash through the door? what if i like being able to deny any flavor of infiltrator entry whether i know they are there or not? firing for a minute straight is great for when i am capping a base with a group and i just don't want to worry about a specific entrance. you simply wait until the timer starts getting low when the enemy usually starts plotting their push and hold down the trigger and now they are almost completely denied one approach. it is really funny to do when you see them staging outside a specific door, and you are likely to collect a few kills.

in a face to face fight, i will most likely die with my lasher, and that is why i avoid fair fights. if i come at a group from behind i am very likely to kill several of them, but as has been stated many dozen times, killing is not the primary purpose of the lasher. the lasher is what you use to push the enemy into cover while you and everyone around you pushes forward in a much safer environment (fewer bullets flying at you).
    • Up x 1
  6. Goretzu

AI Mana turret? Er.... no (as every AI Mana turret user I either headshot or Phoenixed found out :D ).
  7. Vixxing

Meanwhile... Lasher grants immunity to both headshots AND phoenix!
  8. Vixxing

Indeed fast sniping IS suppression because they will head for cover hence they are supressed... In real wars snipers is the ULTIMATE infantry supression... (skilled snipers is in PS2 too...)
  9. Goretzu

The problem with the turret is it cannot do direct line of sight surpression (for the reasons I mentioned - you die) - so it can somewhat surpress the inside of door entrance from inside, but it cannot surpress anything from that doorway (without just being killed).

Where as the Lasher can not only do a bit of indirect surpression (fairly inefficently, true, but still better than pretty much anything else in the game) as well as direct surpression by simply being mobile (which mostly negates headshots and Pheonixes aren't a threat to infantry with any healing around).

It is arguably the best surpressive weapon in the game, and almost totally unique in that aspect in what it can do.

It is a horrible thing to fight against when up against people that understand how to use it.
  10. Vixxing

I find getting OHK by a Jackhammer or torn to shreds by a MCG alot more horrible tbh...
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

Perhaps, but neither the JH or MCG do anything unique that can't be done more or less as well with other weapons, the Lasher can and does.
  12. Gnomemercy

Find 48+ fight, equip Lasher and use Marker implant roll in the certs....Hopefully they will fix this at some point.
  13. Moridin6

i bought it, been using it with the Marker implant, good times
  14. Vixxing

Indeed, but for a firework-effect that dosent really kill anything but friendlys, they got flare-guns...
  15. NinjaTurtle

Best thing about it is the monkey noise it makes when reloading
  16. Redderic

It's a horrible weapon and I regret buying it. The TR and NC heavy weapon options are intuitive, highly effective, and easy to pick-up. The Lasher is a niche weapon that fails to even perform that job very well. Any remotely skilled player that sees someone using a Lasher sees a giant "Free XP" bubble pop above their heads... just like when I see a Flash while I'm in a Magrider... we know where this fight is going.

You can suppress a position equally, if not better, with five LMGs as you could with five Lashers. A while back, in an attempt to bring validity to the weapon, its AOE damage was reduced and its direct hit damage was increased, but in-so-doing it also removed pretty much the only purpose to the weapon. It does laughable AOE damage, has a horrible TTK, and its velocity is entirely too low forcing it in this weird medium-short range where it fails at medium range and fails at short range, but a sweet spot between the two make the weapon okay. It's only redeeming value is that it does decent damage against MAXs (which from what I recall, can be further reduced via Flack Armor). But if I'm already running heavy, I'd prefer to switch from a LMG to a decimator to deal with a MAX, rather than completely **** myself in every 1v1 scenario.

Don't buy it. While it can be used for suppression, just about every other LMG (or ES alternate) is better in every way.

Also FYSA, the weapon review by WREL was prior to AOE radius and damage being reduced, so his tactic of hitting the floor around enemies is, for all intensive purposes, no longer valid.
  17. Vostogon

It looks cool.

... that's about it.

I mean, yeah, 4 guys spamming fire at a doorway will tend to kill anything that comes through. On the other hand if they had LMG's they'd do much the same without being completely crippled in any 1 on 1 fight.

Get it for the looks, not for any delusions of effectiveness.
  18. Goretzu

Yup, it if was actually that, but it's not that, not at all. It is arguably the best surpressive weapon in the game.

To be honest I don't really know what people are expecting, as this all reminds me rather of the PS1 Lasher 1.0 (a very decent weapon with a high skill cap) that was turned into the God-Weapon (literally) the Lasher 2.0 :eek: (by people constantly claiming it could do nothing) and basically destroyed the entire game for 3 weeks (as every continent on every server went purple)......... the Devs are not going to make that mistake again (indeed they wouldn't even give MAXs grenade-launchers in the end).
  19. Noktaj

Am I the only Vanu around here that actually likes Corvus?:oops:
    • Up x 1
  20. Vixxing

Well i am an excellent sniper up close or far off... if you "supress" you are very visible and i bet you 1000000$ against a bag of cat****... that i can get one headshot on you before you "supress" me to death with Lasher... thing is you cant even start "supressing" me b4 i de-cloak and kill you...
    • Up x 1